“Perfect!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel des Grandes Ecoles
Ranked #438 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Our second stay at this hotel, and certainly not our last. Lovely well appointed rooms. Friendly, helpful, knowledgeable staff. Very good traditional continental breakfast which can be eaten in the dining area our in our room. Secluded quiet courtyard overlooked by rooms, making for a quiet respite from an active vibrant restaurant/shop and plaza environment just steps outside the controlled courtyard gate. Absolutely perfect base for enjoying/exploring Paris.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gretchen H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Book this hotel if you can. So many positives:

1. Amazing French interiors;
2. Good WIFI;
3. Comfortable beds and large bathroom;
4. Very close to amazing restaurants that have good value set meals.

The downside is you have to walk uphill from the metro to get to the hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in the building accross the reception room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Cjandcoco
Albany, New York
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I had passed Hotel des Grand Ecoles on an earlier trip to Paris, and couldn’t help but look in. Behind the unassuming (even shabby), little sign, the cobbled path that led to the courtyard looked so inviting. I declared that I would come back and stay there. I did, and it was delightful.

First, unlike the majority of hotels in my price range, the room felt very “Paris”. Large windows opened out to a little garden and a gated alleyway. The matching wallpaper was classic French provincial. The bed was comfortable and the lighting was good, although there was no clock and no television. But the Latin Quarter of Paris waits outside. Who needs television? And the room was delightfully quiet.

The bathroom was adequate, although rather dated and small, but there was plenty of (very) hot water, the towels were large, and we weren’t there for the plumbing. Besides, the price of the room in the off-season month of February was very reasonable – as inexpensive as most of the more cookie-cutter tourist hotels.

The internet, while available, was a bit ragged, and the code needed to be validated every couple of days. If you are heavily internet dependent, it is worth keeping in mind, but we had no real problem with it.

The little cobbled courtyard would be delightful in the warmer months, and I dreamed of sitting out there having breakfast. They close the giant gates at 8:00 p.m., but your key will allow you to open them and feel as though you are entering your own little castle.

The neighborhood is perfect. The Place de la Contrescarpe is only a few meters away, with plenty of restaurants and bistros. Of the two bistros on the square that we tried, I’d recommend the Contrescarpe over the Delmas; the food at the former was a little better, although it did not have the same rustic feel. I wasn’t all that impressed by the Descartes, which is across the street from the hotel and removed from the people-watching on the Contrescarpe, but it was acceptable. The square also has a patisserie, a gelato shop, a butcher, and a little convenience store, although the hotel discourages its guests from bringing food back to the rooms. The Rue de Mouffetard, with more restaurants and shops, is right off of the square as well. The location of the square in the Latin Quarter makes the area lively – there are a lot of students, which is doubtless why they close the hotel gates at 8:00 – but it is a vibrant area and it did not feel overrun with tourists.

The Mero is also convenient, because the Cardinal Lemoine Metro stop on the No. 10 line is about 2 blocks downhill, or the Place Monge stop on the busier No. 7 line is on the other side of the Place de la Contrescarpe. Neither were very far, even towing suitcases.

In short, it is a wonderful and inexpensive place to stay in Paris. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Consider whether you want your room to look over the courtyard. It might be quaint, but that is whe...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Matombo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here because some friends were doing so as well and we all love the place. The breakfast if very adequate and Marie, who works during the day at the desk is charming. She forced us to practice our French and they were very helpful ordering the shuttle to the airports.The location couldn't be better and one can wander off for meals and coffee should you need to.
Moreover, there was no TV in the room, which was delightful.
The bathrooms were clean, the water hot and the bed comfortable. They had wi-fi.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank clay69
Paris, France
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My family and I (8 of us in all) stayed at the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles for five nights and loved the charm and quaintness of the place. It is on a quiet street in the Latin Quarter. The rooms are covered in wallpaper that sets a decidedly feminine tone. The beds were comfy, the bathrooms were clean and the rooms were quiet. We slept great! In the mornings one can eat breakfast for 9E in the cozy dining room. They serve a great warm croissant, jam, juice and coffee. The staff is very Parisian. We loved their etiquette and manners. Overall, this is a fantastic place to stay while enjoying Paris.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank jodeeann
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We found this hotel by accident and as we make a point of going to Paris every year, we are now to the point that we do not go if we cannot stay in this hotel. Or rather: we go when this hotel has one of its wonderful rooms for us. The welcome is always warm, the rooms are splendid and the location superb. We love the old and quaint design of the rooms and the cleanliness is great! The staff not only speaks great English but also is incredibly helpful and the place is quiet. To top it all off: there is parking downstairs for your car. We cannot wait until our next trip to Paris!

Room Tip: Some rooms are bigger, some smaller, but all are wonderfully decorated so take your pick! And don...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bikethere
Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here for the second time for a week in January 2014. The first time we stayed here was in the summer several years ago. Obviously, we had a good experience previously as we cam back, despite the fact that Paris offers a lot of good hotels. In our experience and based on our research this hotel is an especially good value. In addition, the property is aesthetically pleasing and very well maintained; the staff is professional, friendly, and helpful, the rooms are of an adequate size, and the bathrooms are clean and well furnished. Given that this an old building and apparently retrofitted to a hotel, there is, I suspect, a lot of variance in room size and layout throughout the building, I suspect. My advice is to ask for a higher priced room (only about 10 euros more and called a "superior," I think) and facing the courtyard. We stayed on the top floor but I noticed that the lower floor (the second, as I remember it) had much larger windows so I would probably try one of them next time. Two not so great things I feel I should mention are; (1) the walls in our room were paper thin and we could hear the fellow next door snoring (!) as though he was in our room; and (2) the internet service is very spotty, at least on the top floor, and I had to go down to the breakfast room regularly to go online. The bottom line is that I would return to stay here and obviously recommend it to others looking to stay in or around the Latin Quarter.

Room Tip: Please see review; we prefer the superior rooms looking out to courtyard.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple