“Thank you TripAdvisor and members - your reviews directed us to this gem!”
Review of Hotel des Bains

Hotel des Bains
Ranked #1,100 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Seattle
“Thank you TripAdvisor and members - your reviews directed us to this gem!”
Reviewed 26 July 2011

This is the first time my husband and I visited Paris and staying at Hotel des Bains was a very pleasure experience. In addition to some of the reviews from others, I would add - we had a comfortable and relaxing stay for a great price. We took advantage of the TripAdvisor deal of 75 Euros per night!

We walked up to Edgar Quinet on Saturday morning and found the street market very charming. Fresh fruit, crepes and cafe - shopping among the local neighborhood crowd was a lot of fun. The metro from Edgard Quinet also goes directly to the Eiffel Tower - easy to get around the city.

If you like to walk, Hotel des Bains is in a very nice location - we walked to Notre Dame, The Lourve and even as far as Champs Elysse (that was a bit of a haul).

Just a note - if you pre-book a taxi (which we did) the starting fare was 11,80 Euros (what a surprise, that was 9 Euros over just getting a taxi off the street). That was the only rip off we found in our visit.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tayloryen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2011

The Hotel des Bains is perfectly positioned in Montparnasse, our most favourite part of Paris. It is not exactly quirky, but departs from the normal laws of commerce in an appealing way. Montparnasse is the artists' quarter, and the hotel rooms reflect this. Anyone who has sighed with disgust at cheap prints screwed to the walls will sigh in appreciation of original artworks - mostly from the quartier - not only on the walls but also in bedside furnishings, bedheads and light fittings. The rooms are small however and large people will have problems with the tiny lift and shower cubicles. Reception is very low key, slightly dotty and extremely obliging.
We have stayed there on three ocassions in the last two years. Another attraction has to be the Rue Delambre itself and what it leads to. In the street is probably Paris' best cheese shop, the Ferme de Plaisance. They will vacuum pack your cheeses - "emboulage sous vide"- for safe transit home. Nearby is a mouth watering fresh fish shop and the eclectic Rosebud bar serving cocktails on the terrace until late. The local markets at Rue Edgar Quinet are superb and the square has several convenient cafes and the Iles de Marquises fish restaurant nearby. The Metro stops at Edgar Quinet too.

Above all is the proximity (less than a two minute walk) to the three famous restaurant/bars: La Coupoule, The Dome and Le Select. Breakfast at La Coupoule is - I believe - the best anywhere: delicious coffee, fresh bread and viennoiserie, butter, jam and freshly squeezed juice at uncredible value anywhere, but served in a building where famous artists of the past have painted the heads of columns in return for food and drink. You must have breakfast at La Coupoule and an evening glass of wine on the terrace of the Dome. Just down the Boulevard Montparnasse is a wonderful little local restaurant L'Abri Cotier, and little further to Hemingway's favourite Le Closerie de Lilas. Do it!

Room Tip: Ask about the rooms with a terrace
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank honesteatingaa
North Arlington, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 May 2010

Stayed in a family suit for under $200 US a night. Found that the rooms were very clean, staff was friendly, and location was right in the center of Paris.

I went to Paris with the misconception that the French disliked Americans. This hotel disproved that myth and made Paris a Joy.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank stantitt720
Scotland
Reviewed 5 April 2010

Hotel des Bains is located on Rue Delambre in Montparnasse. It is a lovely street which is just off of the more lively Boulevard du Montparnasse and Rue Edouard Quintet. There are 2 lovely bakeries, a fruit/vegetable shop, butchers, Italian food store, a few restaurants and cafes on the same street. There are two metro stations both within 1 to 2 minute walk (Vavin & Edouard Quintet). Please note you can get the train from Charles de Gaulle airport (RER B) to Denfert- Rochereau and then take Line 6 (direction Charles de Gaulle etoile) to Edouard Quintet (2 stops) and the hotel is no more than a 2 minute walk from there. You can buy a Paris Visite card at the airport (40€ for 3 days- although there are other options) which gives you unlimited travel on zones 1-6 during your stay including to and from the airport and all zones on the metro system.

In the area you have Montparnasse Cemetery, La Coupole/ La Rotonde, Montparnasse Tower, Eglise Notre Dame du Champs, Jardin du Luxembourg, Paris Observatory. It is very close to St Germain which has lovely boutiques for shopping and simply for drinking coffee and people watching.

THE HOTEL

My first impressions were it seemed a little old fashioned (1960s). It is quite quirky in many ways but this only added to the fun... The hotel had mainly French customers when I was stayed and as I was practicing French this was only a + for me.

SERVICE
The staff are efficient, I liked the way they operated, however it could be taken as a bit cold if you are used to American style service. For example when I asked to leave my suitcase when checking out I was pointed in direction of the door to take my own bags down to the baggage room but I didn't mind. If this sort of thing does upset you it might be best not to stay here. The same person was extremely helpful when I needed to print my boarding pass and let me use the computer without the usual charges so it may just take a bit of getting used to for some. The lady who welcomed me was very kind and gave me my room key straight away so I could drop my bags and come down and pay later. She also pointed me in the right direction when I required to purchase something locally.

I thought the staff were very kind and helpful in a sincere way and could understand why others may have taken this the wrong way as there are no permanently fixed smiles but perhaps a more honest approach.

HOTEL DESIGN
The public areas are dated but clean.
There is only one very small lift (which holds 2 slim people max) - 1 with luggage!
The lighting for the stair area to the rooms is timed and so you could be left in the dark (if you linger too long) ... until you get to the next light switch.

ROOM
The rooms are pleasant enough with wooden floors, iron design bedframes and are of typical Parisien size. I quite liked the ecclectic mix of furniture which felt like you were staying with an aunt rather than in a hotel room giving it a cosy feel. The room was very warm and there was also air conditioning, a safe and a trouser press. My room wasn't facing the road so I didn't suffer from any street noise mentioned in other reviews. Nevertheless, the walls are very thin between rooms and you can hear some noise from other guests. Thankfully I wasn't disturbed by this but it could affect you if you had a noisy neighbour.

The bathroom was great, very modern and clean, with Porcelanosa style tiles and a Grohe shower which was very powerful. There is a hairdryer in the bathroom and basic toiletries provided.

BREAKFAST
The breakfast cost only 8€ 50 (great for Paris) and was fantastic. There was fresh croissants/bread rolls, cheese/ham, yoghurt, fruit juice, fresh fruit, biscuits and coffee/tea/hot choc.

VALUE FOR MONEY
I was given a special rate for 2 nights but the standard rate of 90€ is still a fantastic rate for Paris. I ordinarily stay in a hotel 2 streets away which costs 200-250€ per night and has the same size of bedroom (albeit a more modern bedroom with a mini-bar). Considering where you are staying and the accomodation on offer, I would highly recommend this hotel.

POSITIVES
Great location - for food & shopping
Close to Metro stations - all major attractions easily reached by metro
Good for practicing your French
Comfortable bed
Great shower
Breakfast
Cost

NEGATIVE
Lift
Small stairs - could be tough if you are rather large or have lots of children
Thin walls
No tea/coffee facilities (although you can easily buy goods at the local shops and bring them back)

I have rated the hotel based on the pricing bracket compared to the services offered.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
8 Thank MLive
santa Clara, CA
Reviewed 2 October 2009

This is my favorite hotel in Paris. Have stayed there many times over the last 20 years and finally decided to write a review. Here is a hotel that is clean, the plumbing always works, all the amenities you would expect from a 3 star hotel, although it does not rate itself as such. The breakfast offerings are better than the usual bread butter and jam. Over the years, I have watched the owners constantly upgrade the rooms, and keep the prices reasonable. A super value at 90 Euros per night in Paris. The location is very convenient with easy access to 3 separate Metro lines and the Montparnasse Railway Station. Years ago "les Bretons" (people from Brittany) settled in the district with the result that there are many creperies which offer excellent budget meals.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
7 Thank travelpossum
Virginia, USA
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Upon our early arrival, we were greeted with grace and allowed to (thankfully!) check in early, which was a real blessing after a difficult flight. The suite apartment was perfect for the four of us...parents traveling with children ages 13 and 10. The view from our room looked out at the interior courtyard and roof lines of the quiet Rue Delambre neighborhood. The furnishings were traditional french with original, modern art on the walls.

With a metro stop at either end of Rue Delambre (Vavin line 4 and Edgar Quintet line 6) we had easy access to anywhere in Paris. At either end of the street, busy boulevards bustled with traffic and dining options. As soon as we stepped onto Rue Delambre, we felt the pace slow and the noise of the adjoining streets melted away. Rue Delambre was charming with an elementary school, cafes, a patisserie, a grocery store, produce stand, laundry, boutiques, internet cafe, bank...every thing we needed. It felt like a real neighborhood and not a tourist destination.

The air conditioning was a welcome addition to the rooms as the weather was warm in late August and early September. The staff were kind and helpful...especially tolerant of our very limited french.

Rue Vavin toward Jardins Du Luxembourg was a great street to window shop and stop for ice cream as you head toward the gardens. The gardens are beautiful and close enough to Hotel Des Bains to reach in a relatively short walk. Here you see kids playing football (our 10 year old son who plays soccer was especially impressed with the skill of kids much younger than him), babies in strollers, horseback riders, kids in the playground, people relaxing in chairs...basically the backyard of the surrounding neighborhoods.

We stayed at Hotel Des Bains for six nights and would definitely stay again, particularly if traveling with our children. This was our first international trip and our first trip to Paris. All in all, a wonderful experience!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank ivyhill40
New Jersey
Reviewed 21 July 2009

The two room suite was comfortable, clean and moderately spacious - great for the four of us. The breakfast was very nice (coffee, tea, fresh croissant with cheese and jam, yogurt), and self-served in an attactive dining room for an extra fee. There was initially a problem with the air-conditioning, but the man at the front desk adjusted it until it worked. The front desk was helpful in telling us how to find the nearby cyber cafe and calling a taxi at the end of our stay. The area is not close to major attractions (though a moderate walk takes you to the Luxembourg Gardens), but the streets are lined with cafes and creperies and patisseries and all the reasons one eats in France. The area was thronged with people during our July trip, and felt very safe. One drawback: the elevator is the size of a broom closet and carries maybe two people and a suitcase, so leave extra time for shuttling if you have a large group and/or lots of luggage. We were delighted with having chosen this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family