“Great area, very confortable”

Grand Hotel Saint-Michel
Ranked #170 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Greensboro
“Great area, very confortable”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This hotel, in my opinion, was excellent. Stayed for 6 nights. The staff was friendly, continental style breakfast was very good with plenty of choices. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was clean and tastily decorated. The hotel is centrally located near subway stations so there is no need for a taxi or to bother with private airport transportation. Another thing I liked was the ability to open the window, enjoy the outside and listen to the Paris life. I stayed on the 3rd floor which made this possible. Many thanks to the staff for making this a memorable experience!

Room Tip: Perhaps a room in the upper level
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sailboarder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hotel IS pretty average in almost every aspect. I stayed here last week for 3 nights. We had arrived about 3 hours before check in time so we left our bags at the hotel and went on a stroll around Paris. The hotel is located in a good area (LQ) and has a good amount of action going on around it. Its an extremely high tourist area so expect prices for food, drink, and anything else to be elevated by a few Euros. Metro is close by as well, which makes it a bit easier to get around town. I highly advise you to use the train service because for 1.70 Euro pp it is much cheaper than taking a taxi (which will drive you in circles to run up the meter). Ok now onto the hotel itself. The rooms are small (and this is smaller than other European hotels), the staff is fake friendly and know very little about the city which they work in. The shower head keeps turning while you shower so you have to constantly adjust it. The 120 DVDs which they brag about is not much to brag about after all, when we asked for a DVD they only had 2 on the shelf. The DVD player in the room did not work and was not plugged in. It could not be plugged in because the wire was too short (pointless decor). The room size didn't matter too much because we were out all day anyway, but, lets discuss the staff. The day time clerk with the blonde hair (I will not mention her name to save face), was pretty rude. Anytime we had questions, she would give us 1 word answers and go on about her business. It almost felt like she didn't like her job. Rarely smiled at us or greeted us. When asking the staff for dinner suggestions, they only gave us 1 suggestion (which I did not want to try because the trip advisor ratings were so poor). When asking the hotel staff which train to use to get to a certain place, they had no response (just a blank face of, how can you ask us this). Another major problem, probably the biggest one, because I can get past the rude and boring staff by figuring out my own way around Paris, but this one takes the cake. I asked the hotel staff where I can get a taxi. They replied "we can call one". I replied "ok great". Little did I know there is a little inside secret that I wasn't told of. The taxi will start its meter from the very second the hotel calls it!!! This means, the Taxi can go on a little stroll around Paris and then come to the hotel running up the meter. When my taxi arrived, the meter was already at 10 Euros! The hotel staffed never once mentioned this nor did they apologize, their response was (yes this is how it works in Paris). If you ever need a taxi to get around somewhere late night, make a right outside the hotel, make your first right again, and then first right again, you will come to a taxi stand.

Over all, for the price you are paying, you are better off staying somewhere else where you pay for good service, friendly staff, and educated/knowledgeable staff. I will not return to GHSM. Oh and if you don't think the hotel is full of themselves, they have a big board right when you check in that says "8.4 booking.com rating". I don't mind paying x amount, but I at least expect the staff to smile at you when you enter.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank MP8612
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Having been to Paris once before and stayed in the Opera area, we thought we'd try the Latin Quarter this time. GHSM is in a brilliant location in the Latin Quarter with lots of shops, restaurants and bars within a minutes walking. The hotel is very clean and rooms are small but very comfortable. We stayed for three nights and space was no issue for us. We were on the road side but there was no problem with noise when window was shut. We were on a room only tariff and didn't have breakfast as there were so many lovely cafés to go instead. The dining area for breakfast did look nice though. The only negative was that I had to ask for slippers and there was no bathrobes in the room - so presumably I had ask for these too... Overall though we had a great time and would go back again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Suzanne E
Oakland Park, Florida
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

the hotel was recommended by our AMEX concierge as she had stayed there previously. It was in a great location, the room was lovely and quaint. The hotel was not full so we received an upgrade and we loved it! We had breakfast in the dining room downstairs and it was a really unique room and the breakfast was perfect.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington DC
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Rooms are small (not atypical for Paris) but well appointed and clean with good bathroom and lux toiletries. Location is good for metro and being near, but not in, the center of the action. But the key to this hotel is the service. Staff are incredibly helpful and friendly on a par with any of the best run, big chain hotels that spend a lot on staff training. They have a nice little gym with steam room (which is a nice extra you don't oftent find in a small hotel). And their breakfast is fantastic. I don't usually eat breakfast in the hotel (usually not good value and limited selection). I tried it on the second day and thought it was better than what I could get at most local cafes and at a competitive price, if like me breakfast is the big meal of the day that gets you ready for walking all over Paris! I would recommend this hotel and woudl stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed at Grand hotel St Michel on two separate occasions in March/April 2014. Service including front desk and team were very helpful. The buffet breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice. We had a suite located on the ground floor - it was clean, tidy but quite dark even with the two skylights positioned over the bed and in the lounge area. The bathroom was smallish but included good quality amenities.

All in all a very good stay. What made this hotel most enjoyable was its friendly and eager to please staff.

Candy W

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Candida W
Oslo, Norway, Norwegen, Norge, Noreg, Noruega, Norvege
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The hotel was as expected for the money paid. Cheaper alternatives accross the street. The rooms where clean, great beds and ok room size. The tv had about 100 channels to choose from. There was a handy coffee machine, mini bar and a small safe in the room. This hotel also seemed very safe and the staff was polite and nice.The room was very quiet. Best about this hotel is the location. 300m away from the RER station at Luxembourg, which will take you directly to CDG or ORY airport. Situated in the latin quarters, is by my opion the best location in Paris (I've stayed at other Paris locations before). 500m to Notre Dame and from there you got the best of Paris in short walking distance (Louvre, the pad lock bridge, river boat at pont neuf etc...). Go for this hotel or this area to have a safe and good time in Paris. The intention with this trip, was to see a football (soccer) game at Stade de France. The same RER station will take you there. The latin quarters are vivid. Take a hop on and hop off bus from Notre Dame.

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet and it faced the back yard. No view from this room, but quietness is more im...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends