“Smelly room at insane prices!”

Hotel Dauphine Saint Germain
Ranked #269 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
New York and Zurich
“Smelly room at insane prices!”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

So here I was...looking forward to enjoy my Parisian room in what was described as a cute, boutique hotel. I got there in the evening and while I was waiting to be checked in, I saw an elderly Asian gentleman with his daughter visibly in a hurry who wanted to go to an event which they were late for and I offered them to take the taxi I had just gotten out of but that's when the front desk man stopped me saying I should not interfere as their taxi would come shortly...their taxi made it there some 15' later- this told me that something did not look right...anyway, I was checked in and I went to my room. It smelled terribly bad, it was very dark and the carpet was gluey (ie I stood there for approx 10 minutes and my shoes were sticking to the floor!). I went downstairs to complain about the smell and the man came with a big industrial size spray which he used generously a few times while telling me to open the window and it will all be fine. The smell persisted and it lasted for approx 1 hour. When I told him that he said he agreed with me that the room was unusable. I then mentioned I would be looking for another hotel and he said he understood however when I was ready to leave, he stopped me saying that he had to charge me for the one night I did not stay there! I explained that since the room was unusable, unless he offered me something better, I could not stay there- he said the cancellation policy was 72 hrs in advance. I said I would call the police and only whenb he heard that he decided to start dialing some numbers until (approx 30' later) he reached someone who okayed my leavig without a charge and I was told that they could offer me a free breakfast the next day. I left running literally and I could still 'feel' the smell deep inside my lungs hours later. From the outside, cute hotel, great location, however based on my experience far from an ideal place and not for the EUR 300/night they were charging. That I found scandalous! My advice (and I know a thing or two about hotels having worked in the industry many years ago, having friend who still do and being used to staying in a lot of places) AVOID this place unless you pay very little money and do not mind filling your lungs with mold!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank seas0nedtravellers
Marie T, Propriétaire at Hotel Dauphine Saint Germain, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear guest,

To say the least, we sincerely regret the inconvenience you had to endure. Regarding the taxi, as another had already been booked for the Asian gentleman and his daughter, the night clerk could not give your taxi to them. Had he done so, the hotel would have been obliged to pay for the taxi he had already ordered.
Concerning the room, you are absolutely right. There was indeed a very bad smell due to a leak in the air conditioner. The housekeeper had failed to inform us about it. She had sprayed the room with deodorizer and thought that was enough. In any case, it was unacceptable. This type of incident has never happened before, should not have happened, and we have taken steps to ensure that this will never happen again.

We fully understand that you were displeased with the behavior of our night clerk. He should have realized that this was an exceptional circumstance and should not have followed the usual rules concerning cancellation. Unfortunately, as we were fully booked that night and you were our last guest to arrive, it was impossible for the night clerk to give you another room. Fortunately for you and for us, you did not pay for your room and you could move to another hotel.

We take our customers' satisfaction very seriously and we are proud to say that many of our visitors come back again and again. We hope that you'll give us one more chance and that we can give you the opportunity to change your mind. We would like to offer you a free night stay and a free breakfast on your next visit to our hotel. We are looking forward to seeing you again some time soon.
With our best wishes,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Korean first
Orland Park, Illinois
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The staff was very helpful as we tried to navigate Paris. The location is great, walking distance to Notre Dame, the Louvre and Musee D'Orsay. There are also many nearby restaurants and bars. It can be noisy at night due to all the nearby nightlife. The rooms are small but quite comfortable.

Room Tip: If you need quiet at night ask for a room off the street.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Ohio
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is a small boutique hotel in a very convenient location of St. Germain and close to the Latin Quarter and Notre Dame. The staff was very courteous and helpful. The hotel was clean but ridiculously small(even by European standards). The décor of the room was old looking but the room was very quiet away from the street. There are nicer places than this nearby but for the money, I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Away from the street is quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My family just stayed in this hotel for a full week. The first night we got there the front desk staff got us into a restaurant that takes about 1 year reservations. As you can imagine we were thrilled. The staff was very helpful and kind. The rooms were quaint and beautifully decorated. The only thing that was hard to do was to communicate with the front desk from your room. The location of the hotel is amazing. You feel like a local once you walk outside. There is a corner of 5 streets that merge right next to the hotel where you can sit and have a coffee and people walking. Thank you to the staff of Hotel Dauphine St. Germain to making our experience in Paris so much better!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Paige C
Marie T, Propriétaire at Hotel Dauphine Saint Germain, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear guest,

We are so happy and honored to read your review about our hotel. We thank you a lot for putting 5 stars and for taking time to write it.

We are always trying to do our best to make the stay of our guest as pleasant as possible and again thank you on behalf of all the staff.

We hope and will be glad to welcome you a next time.

Best regards,
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in 2 interconnecting rooms however, the doors to the rooms didn't automatically stay open which made it difficult with small kids. We solved that by using filled suitcases to keep them open. The rooms were tiny but we expected that coming to Paris. They did have a real Parisian feel to them. The front desk were friendly and accommodating to any requests we had but we didn't know why we had to hand our room key in every time we left the hotel. The location was fantastic and spent 5 lovely days walking the streets of the city. There were so many great cafés in a short distance so we were never lost for a place to eat. We would stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ksr-0904
Marie T, Propriétaire at Hotel Dauphine Saint Germain, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you a lot for taking time to put a comment concerning our hotel.

Regarding the doors for connecting rooms, indeed, it is not practical to leave it open that why we bought door stopper to make it easier.

Concerning the key room, indeed, we ask you to leave it in the hotel first for safety and to avoid to lose it. Indeed, there is only one key per room and if you lose it and you are coming back during the night (for exemple) The night auditor who is alone so he has to close the main door and go up with you to make a new key for you.

Your comment has been very helpful to improve our services, so we thank you again for it and hope to welcome as soon as possible.

Best regards
Harleysville, Pa
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We recently stayed at the hotel for 2 nights before and 2 nights after an Ama Waterways river cruise. The hotel is clean and comfortable, and all of the staff is extremely helpful, from the front desk staff to the lovely woman who takes care of the breakfast. The rooms are small, but the bathroom was pretty large. We stayed in #14 and it was very quiet. We loved the location and found it to be an easy base to get anywhere in the city. We easily walked to Notre Dame, the Louvre, Luxembourg Gardens, Tuilerie Gardens and everything in between. The Odeon metro is about a block and half away, and there is a lovely street about 1 block behind the hotel with lots of cafes and shops. The hotel also arranged our airport pick up and return, at a very reasonable rate. I would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the quiet side to avoid street noise that starts early in the morning.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KadyD
Marie T, Propriétaire at Hotel Dauphine Saint Germain, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Kady,

First of all, we would like to thank for taking time to leave a review about our hotel and your recommendation.

We are honored that you put us 5 stars it means a lot for us and again thank you.

Your detailed review will be very helpful for our future clients to help them to make a choice!

Best regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is located just a few blocks north of the Odeon metro stop in the heart of Saint Germain. It's close to numerous restaurants, shops, galleries and sights. The hotel itself is quite charming, though the rooms are a bit small. The staff was wonderfully helpful. There's also a breakfast room (breakfast not included) but I did not eat at the hotel as it was very easy to find a croissant and coffee nearby. Because of its location, I would definitely plan to stay here again on my next visit to Paris!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Rebeca,

We thank you so much for taking time to put a comment regarding our hotel.

Indeed, our strong points are the staff, the location and typical Parisian charm of our hotel.

For the next time, don’t hesitate to send us an e-mail to book directly with us then we will be able to offer you a rate with the breakfast included.

We hope to welcome a next time

Best regards