“Don't go near this place”

Hotel d'Angleterre, Saint Germain des Pres
Ranked #948 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
New York City, New York
“Don't go near this place”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

For 275 euros per room I would expect much much more from a hotel.
NO AMENITIES in the room what so ever!!
NO kettle and tea/coffee to make yourself a cup of tea upon waking up.
NO slippers (did they really expect me to pack slippers into that one suitcase?)
NO bathrobe.
No bottle of water to welcome you.
1st day we got the right amount of towels. 2nd day they started cutting back on towels.
And on top of that, rooms facing the street are TERRIBLY NOISY at 7 am when the garbage track rolls into the street shouting and banging. I personally asked for a room facing the courtyard upon booking 1 month earlier. When we got to the hotel they told me they only had a room facing the street, but not to worry because it was quiet since it’s in a high floor - ha ha...don't buy into that.
The rooms need urgent renovation. They are terribly outdated. Hardly any electricity sockets – we had to decide between the bedside lamp or loading our cellphones. A very very old looking closet, with doors you can’t close unless you lock them.
I stayed there for 5 nights. No one asked me even once at the reception if I was enjoying my room.
All in all – TERRIBLE!

Room Tip: Not worth the money. Just find another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank NYC girl K
Rémy S, Directeur général at Hotel d'Angleterre, Saint Germain des Pres, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

We were very surprised by the comments you made, it is still quite rare. However we understand that you have not been satisfied for several reasons, and we wanted to apologize for the inconvenience this has caused during your stay.

We wanted to have a feedback during your 5 nights stay but apparently I have not heard about this situation. We would specifically rectified all abnormal situation and that would help us to curb some malfunction.

We would like to address the fact that all our rooms have amenities as in every hotels in the world.
We do not have the services of a 4 stars (we are 3 stars) but we do have room service which enables you any time to order drinks. We do have slippers on request, but we have no bathrobe.
We realized that there was apparently a failure in the service, but again, we would have like you to let us know.
Towels are an obvious necessity in a hotel.

I may correct your appreciation about our room because I do not think you have visited all our rooms to say that they need to be renovated.
We would have at least wanted to know the room number and also know who took care of your room. Also your name (on a private email) we could maybe give you some compensation. I wanted to know personally the details of your reservation to understand why you did not have a room on the court yard.
Again we can not understand your reaction while during your stay you have been silent.

Our customers do not hesitate to give us their feedback on the spot. After we often discuss the way to find solutions. For example, providing a kettle to one of our customers or other things. We are often confused with a 4 star because we have a sense of service. There are two people at the reception and we probably have the biggest rooms in the neighbourhood, it is very appreciative from our customers.
It is obvious that you have not been satisfied, we have not been able to know this, and we are truly sorry.

Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boston, MA
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I did a lot of research prior to my trip to Paris. I was traveling with my mom and we both chose 3 hotels in St. Germain des pres, and then we each chose our favorite. As it turns out, we both chose Hotel d'Angleterre, and I am so happy that we did. The location cannot be beat...close to the metro, restaurants, etc..., and within a short walk to Musee D'Orsay, Louvre, Notre Dame, etc...

We got lucky and were given the Hemmingway room, where Ernest Hemmingway stayed. It was beautiful. Yes, it was a bit noisy as it faced the street, but not bad at all. I am a very light sleeper and I was fine. The breakfast is really good...meats, cheeses, breads, cereals, fruit, etc...

I would say above all else that the service provided is amazing...always helpful with any question, request, etc...I truly cannot say enough good things and wish I was back there right now, enjoying a cup of coffee!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TexasBostonGirl
Rémy S, Directeur général at Hotel d'Angleterre, Saint Germain des Pres, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you very much for your opinion about the hotel.
it was a pleasure to read your review.
We hope to see you very soon, maybe in Hemingway's room?
Best Regards,
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This traditional small hotel in the heart of Saint Germain des Prés is wher I usually stay when in Paris.
The main reasons: location, good cost for the location, quiet, polite staff.
Breakfast is not so good, some rooms need refurbishing but, as a whole, good to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carlosmp
Thank you very much for your opinion about the hotel.
We hope to see you soon in our hotel.
Best Regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I have always been a Left Bank person. I lived on rue M le Prince for a period of time. For a long time I stayed in the 5th. And even though the 5th is on the East Side and more convenient to what is going on in Paris. I prefer this spot in Saint Germain des Pres. The hotel is lovely with comfortable rooms and good bathrooms. The location is primo to galleries, shopping and casual dining. The service is appropriately friendly and v accommodating. I will always stay here in Paris.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank MBM212
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I stayed here for a week in April 2013. I had a single room which is relatively compact, but it was roomy enough and exactly what the hotel promised. I would have considered a bigger room, but the hotel is clearly popular and by time I booked only a single room was available.

The room faces the internal courtyard and was very quiet, so I slept very well in the comfortable double bed. The room had a large desk which was very convenient. One thing that was lacking was enough power points, but I asked reception whether they had a powerboard with multiple power points and they quickly delivered one to my room. I found the staff friendly and helpful on all occasions.

The room came with a long narrow bathroom which was very good. It had a nice big bath and plenty of room around the basin. The free WiFi worked well.

The breakfast in the hotel was served in a very beautiful room. with the selections on top of a grand piano! I found the breakfast to be excellent.

The hotel is in an excellent location, not that far to walk to the Louvre. Most nights I walked to the neighbouring Latin Quarter for dinner and I found that an easy stroll. Not that far from the hotel, in Rue de Seine, there was a supermarket, which was great to buy cold drinks on the way back to the hotel before going to dinner or on the way back from dinner.

I would definitely consider staying here again. The only question I would need to answer would be depending on the season, as I do not recall an air-conditioner in the room, which was not an issue while I was there, but not sure how the room would be in the middle of summer.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Jonathan M
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 February 2014

This is a small quiet hotel on a quiet street. We had a stunning room on the fourth floor with exposed beam ceiling, and a dining table separate from the sleeping area. The staff were unobtrusive and very helpful when needed. Made our stay in Paris just wonderful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

This was very authentic and has lots of old world charm. Located in a nice part of town within walking distance of Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, Louvre etc. The rooms are different, we had two: 103 and 121 where 121 was a little better. The yard is wonderful too. This was where Benjamin Franklin wrote part of the US Declaration of independent and Hemingway has stayed here as well.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family