“Above & Beyond”

Ranked #150 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
Annapolis Maryland
“Above & Beyond”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

This is the best location that I have stayed in Paris, the Isle is in the certer of everything from the hop on hop off batabus to transit bus lines. Imagine waking up to the bells of Notre Dame, walking up the street, following the sounds of a violin playing La Vie en Rose, does it get any better than this? The historical building is jaw dropping charming, from the exposed beams overhead to the fantastic art work on the walls, no matter where you look it is postcard perfect. Yes the rooms are small but aren't all European rooms at this price point? They were not uncomfortably small to my husband and I, I had room for everything. The beds are soft and comfy, the pillows blentiful (I like a lot of pillows) and the comforter great for me, too much for my husband so they sent up an extra sheet.
Now for the Piece de Resistance--I lost my gold and diamond necklace somewhere in France, after 21 days I decided it was worth a shot, it didn't cost anything to e mail the hotel, why not ask the Hotel where we stayed in Paris and yes they had found my necklace, were holding it for me, just didn't know how to get in touch with me since the reservation was made by our friends in another room, please don't send a reward, it is our policy to see that anything left at our hotel is returned to the owner, was their response to my offering to send something to the housekeeper who found my necklace. They have e mailed me today saying the necklace had been mailed--this is service! Tell me if this would happen in many hotels.
We didn't have breakfast there as we were warned that it was expensive and the bar never seemed open but there are cafes everywhere and a wine shop a few doors up, so we bought our own wine and enjoyed it in the entrace area outside and in the loby.
This is my favorite Paris Hotel, I can't say enough about it except--the even speak English without a sneer!

Room Tip: I didn't see a big difference between our standard room and the extra special standard room that...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank foodwinejunkie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel du Jeu de Paume 9 years ago on the recommendation of a cousin and loved it so much that we went back in September of 2011 for 3 nights. The location can't be beat...on the intimate-feeling Ils St Louis, just a couple hundred meters over a bridge to either the right bank (Marais, Pompidou Center, Louvre & Orangerie, great shopping & restaurants) or the left bank (Sorbonne, faded existentialist hangouts, more shopping and restaurants, Eiffel Tower and more museums). A couple of terrific little restaurants within a block or two, the tempting Berthillon ice cream shops (more of them than Starbucks in Manhattan) galleries and other small shops, you soon have a feel that it's your own neighborhood. The hotel staff are very welcoming and competent. The lobby and rooms have an elegant, very modern Euriopean design sense. The room was very comfortable, not too snug, and quite well appointed. Avoid the pricey breakfast in the lobby and go to any one of the 3 or 4 corner bars for your morning cafe & croissant or baguette with butter & jam. Remember to pet the golden retriever who seems always to be stretched out in the lobby -- 9 years ago and last week, too. We plan to return on our next trip.

Room Tip: corner rooms in front have windows on two sides, but get a little noise from the lobby terrace
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emjayess331
seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

the Hotel Jeu de Paume has beauty, excellent service, quiet , fabulous location and great Internet values. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for this type of elegance and care for the traveler enjoying Paris.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are easy for going in and out at will. Upstairs is ok too since the modern, see...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

Stayed with a friend in April. Small room, but clean. Location is very nice, friendly service too. A bit to much noice for my liking, so would not stay here again. And our beds was awfull!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank Christin A
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

I read before staying here that the rooms were tiny. Well I've stayed in much smaller in the US! I found it perfectly sized. The Annick Goutal toiletries were a nice touch, the bath perfect after a day walking around. I plan on staying here every time I come back to Paris!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Naysy
Durango, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

We really loved this hotel. The location is perfect for walking to many of the sites of Paris within 10 minutes. The hotel has a nice collection of art and interesting photos hanging and tons of reading materials travel guides in the lobby. The staff couldn't have been more friendly to us and spoke perfect English, although we tried to speak French. ( I guess that says alot about our French abilities) :)

We booked 2 nights in a Superior Double Room at 260 euro per night on the second floor. The room was a comfortable size and the mattress/bedding was extremely cozy and was very quiet. The shower and toilette are in separate rooms and are of adequate size.

We had no issues using the wifi in our room are anywhere around the hotel that we had access to.
I do agree that 18 euro is a bit pricey for breakfast that is a basket of pastries, fresh squeezed OJ, and piping hot coffee. But at each other hotel we stayed at in France the cost was anywhere between 12-18 euro.
Take advantage of the Brasseries which are much more fun to have breakfast at anyway.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fletchandsus
Stroud, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

The conversion from the old real tennis court is impressive and lovely. Room comfortable, quiet (2nd floor) and well equipped. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast good (but pricey). Location is very good for sightseeing, walking and local restaurants, although other tourists are hard to avoid here.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple