“Adored Hotel d'Aubusson”

Ranked #33 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Los Angeles area
“Adored Hotel d'Aubusson”
Reviewed 29 September 2007

I stayed at Hotel d'Aubusson on my first trip to Paris in early September, 2007. I was there for almost two weeks and was extremely happy that I chose this charming, first rate hotel.

All of the staff were exceptionally polite and helpful. I cannot remember any service I have experienced anywhere that was better than theirs. After I'd spoken with some of the staff more than once or twice, they had big smiles for me thereafter, something the French don't usually produce for total strangers.

I had a "superior" room that I thought was very large by French standards for one person.

I didn't book any special packages, but they had a lovely, large bouquet of Stargazer lilies in my room when I arrived. Every other night I received a gift in my room when I returned. A split of champagne, a giant brioche in their beautiful navy and gold box, a small fruit basket, a lovely jar of miniature pears in syrup, and eventually, a three drawer box of chocolates and other lovely candies. I don't know if they do this for guests who stay longer than a few days or what, but it was a wonderful surprise.

I had planned my own itinerary, so I didn't need to bother the staff too much, but when I had a question, they were unfailingly polite and helpful.

My room was always clean. And every night in addition to the candied orange bonbons and "Good Night" card they leave for everyone (in memory of Robespierre who often visited their establishment in the 1700s and ate oranges when they were a new fruit for France), they also leave another card with the name of the person who cleaned your room and the weather forcast for the next day. That forecast came in handy for me.

My room was on the third floor in the corner, which is directly above the Cafe Laurent. I did notice some noise the first night, which was a Saturday, but I was eventually able to sleep anyway. After that weekend, I didn't notice any noise.

The location is terrific for sightseeing and shopping. I was five minutes away from the Pont Neuf and Notre Dame, a great cheese shop, great bakery (one of many in the area), a well stocked little market, several good cafes and a ten minute walk from Patrick Roget's chocolate shop on the Boulevard Saint-Germain. It was about a 20 to 30 minute walk to the Louvre and the Musee D'Orsay.

I had room service a few times (their pizza was excellent!) but did not eat other meals at the hotel. Their dining room, the eating area in the cafe and their beautful courtyard all seemed lovely to me.

As a single woman traveling alone, I liked that the street was somewhat busy, but not overly so. The Relais Christine just down a side street was a little too isolated for me to have felt comfortable walking down their street at night--even if it was safe. The Rue de Buci, just down the street and around the corner was great for eating and people watching, but much busier day and night.

If I ever have a chance to go back to Paris, I would want to return to Hotel d'Aubusson. It's a great little boutique hotel in a great location with a superior staff and it already feels like home to me.

• Liked — Pretty much everything, from the lovely building to the terrific staff.
  • Disliked — I have no complaints.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
9 Thank Aypril

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Arabic first
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 23 September 2007

My husband, 6 year old daughter and I stayed at the Hotel d'Aubusson July 1-5. A good friend stayed here during the winter and raved about the hotel and the service. We booked the Romance Package (not much romance with our 6 year old in tow) and it was worth every euro. Our stay in a deluxe room included a private transfer from the airport, roses and champagne in the room, tickets to the Louvre, breakfast each day, a bateau mouche ride, tickets to a concert and a delicious champagne lunch with foie gras. We considered staying on the Right Bank as we've done in the past, but we would have gotten much less for the same price.

Our room was spacious by Paris standards. At first, I was disappointed that we didn't have one of the exposed beamed rooms they show on their website, but it turned out to not be a big deal. The rooms are super-soundproofed from street noise. We all slept very soundly. Since we weren't there over the weekend, I can't comment on the noise from the jazz band that plays in the lounge. The Hermes toiletries are a nice touch. Housekeeping did a great job cleaning our room and replenished all our toiletries daily.

The staff is unfailingly polite and helpful. We asked for recommendations multiple nights for places to go for dinner and were never disappointed. We particularly liked the restaurant Aux Charpentiers, which is walking distance from the hotel.

The neighborhood is wonderful and close to everything. There are lots of restaurants to choose from and great shopping (a wonderful children's clothing store is on the Rue Dauphine across the street from the hotel called Bois de Rose and you can walk to Pierre Herme on Rue Bonaparte). You can't go wrong by staying at the Hotel d'Aubusson.

• Liked — Location, value and excellent service
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
8 Thank Melissa H
Summit, NJ
Reviewed 23 September 2007

This was a wonderful hotel in every way. The staff was so acccommodating, and the hotel had 50% American tourists, not sure if that is a positive or a negative! The breakfast was amazing and served until 11:30 a.m. eggs, 5 breads, pastries, cheeses, French yogurts, fruits, cooked spinach, etc. This was a big plus for us in the a.m. There is a beautiful garden, that is covered in bad weather, where we had drinks before going out in the evening. The bar at Cafe Laurent was so lovely and comfortable, beautiful jazz music until midnight. A nice nightcap after our late nights in Paris. The manager, Flavien and bartender Arnod were wonderful and everyone speaks English good enough. The French appreciate it if you TRY to speak French, you are in France! The rooms were very comfortable, nice size bathroom for European standards, comfy bed, great treats in the room, flat screen tv (boring CNN, don't bother). dvd rentals if you are that boring and want to watch a movie in your room. The location is amazing. We walked everywhere. No need for a taxi. Our favorite restaurant is on the side street, which we could see from our room window on Rue Christine, called CHEZ FERNAND, serving traditional French cuisine, not pricey, and wonderful service. The French are very polite and everyone offers to help you in the cafes, stores, and hotels. We are New Yorkers, and a bit fussy, this place was a lot of bang for the buck. We loved it and can't wait to go back. What a beautiful city in every way, we highly recommend this lovely hotel, especially for American tourists who are not looking for an American high rise chain hotel. Fabulous place! Thank you!

• Liked — The friendly staff & wonderful breakfast & hotel layout.
  • Disliked — There were no negatives, except for very dim lighting, but that's Europe!
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SCaron42
San Francisco
Reviewed 22 September 2007

Don't stay at Hotel d'Aubusson on Thursday, Friday or Saturday nights unless you really enjoy hearing loud jazz in your room until well past midnight. The hotel's live jazz band resonates at least up through the fourth floor and is painful on the first.

Stayed August 2007
12 Thank ArianeDukas
raleigh nc
Reviewed 3 September 2007

The Hotel D'Aubusson beautifuly met our needs on our family's trip to Paris. The staff was gracious and the rooms were spacious. D'Aubusson's rive gauche location is hard to beat for convenience to many great restaurants and sights. We look forward to a return visit!

• Liked — location
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank raleighrambler
florida
Reviewed 30 August 2007

Stayed for four nights in June in a Deluxe room. Concierge was very helpful, making dinner reservations for each night via e-mail prior to our stay. Hotel is well maintained and up to four star standards in terms of amenities. Excellent location. We did have a couple of minor problems, however.

On our first night (Satuday night I believe) there was live Jazz in the bar on the ground floor. Unfortunately, our first floor room was directly over the bar. The music was so loud that it felt as iff they were perfroming in our room. The performance lasted until 12:30 am despite several calls and visit in my bathrobe to the front desk. It would not have been so bad if we didn't have to wake up at the crack of dawn for our excursion to Normandy. To their benefit, they did send half a bottle of champaign to our room the next day. For some reason, however the bottle and the glasses were gone when we returned the next day.... very odd.

Another night, my wife called down for some extra towels, when the front desk person arrived at the door with a single towel and was told we needed two, he became quite upset and nasty.

Unfortunately, these two incidents put a bit of a damper on an otherwise pleasant stay.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — inconsistent service
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
11 Thank spinesrgn
Norwich england
Reviewed 6 August 2007

This was our honeymoon destination for the first 5 days and nights of our honeymoon. We booked the hotel after reading the reviews here on Tripadvisor and can only say a big thank you to all concerned because the hotel certainly lived up to the reviews. We booked the "Romance" package (surprise surprise as we were on honeymoon!) and would recommend this to all. We were in a superior room which was quiet, and although not spacious it did have a wonderful bed!!

The service was exceptional throughout from the airport pick up in a new Mercedes (worth a lot especially as we were 2 hours late in landing due to a delay!) to the maid service which was exceptional.

As part of our package we got free tickets to The Louvre, Seine river trip, Chamber music concerts and a fantastic Champagne dinner. Add on to this the Champagne and roses in the rom on arrival and it made for a great stay.

We frequented the bar every evening (drinking mostly Champagne!) and whilst it is not cheap in my opinion it was worth it especially with free Jazz Thurs - Sun.

The location is unbeatable and that in itself is worth lots - we walked everywhere - and it is in a lively street setting during the evening with great, well priced restaurants everywhere you looked.

Has to be the best value in Paris.

• Liked — Location and service
  • Disliked — not a jot!
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple