“First two days a sour taste of Paris”

La Villa Saint-Germain
Ranked #78 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Sydney, Australia
“First two days a sour taste of Paris”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 11 nights. All of the staff were nice except for one. When we first checked in April 26 2014 there was a mean old woman with dark black hair at the reception I have travelled to many countries around the world and in many different locations. I am not new to travel so I know if you have make room requests you really need to point out these requests on the day of check in so I asked if we may please have the room with a shower as some of the rooms at this hotel only have a bath tub or only a shower. As I proceeded she swiftly turned to her colleague raised her voice and said " INCREDIBLE!!!!!!" in French which is the same word in English, considering I was paying over $400 Australian per night it's disappointing she was so rude and sarcastic. The next day I rang and ordered a taxi she told me it would be there in 10 minutes. When I got down stairs and asked her where the taxi was she told me I wasn't checking out for another 10 nights she couldn't even do her job I knew I wasn't checking out i wasn't waiting with my suitcases. She was cruel and nasty beware the old nasty woman with the dark hair had the unpleasantness of her mean character both April 26 and April 27 . She's the worst reception staff I've met in my many years of travel. Thankfully I'm in Monaco now lovely hotel they even gave me an upgrade to the sea view room with beautiful ocean views great to be away from that mean mess in Paris.

Room Tip: Overrated for what you pay for
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We spent an extended Easter weekend at La Villa and were more than pleased with the hotel. We'd certainly stay here again, alone or a deux!

The staff are very helpful and friendly. Good English is spoken by everyone we came across; a help to me who shamefully only has limited French!

We opted for breakfast in our room each morning, adding eggs to the continental fare. It was very good with all options (fried, scrambled, poached) delivered fresh and hot.

The design of the hotel is very pleasing. Modern but subtly coloured. The room (26) was very quiet with no disturbance from the street or adjacent rooms.

The location is perfect for visiting the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Tuileries, Montparnasse Cemetery (Beckett, Jean Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir, Man Ray et al). Nearby Metro stations make connections to Gare du Nord and Montmartre very simple (other places too). The nearby streets are full of interesting shops and restaurants of all levels. If a trip to Brasserie Lipp (recommended) or Les Deux Magots is on the agenda they are but a reasonable stroll away.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elainemt0
Marie_BREHERET, Directeur général at La Villa Saint-Germain, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Elainemt0,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback relating to your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that your experience in our hotel was a positive one and you enjoyed the warm hospitality from our team here.

I look forward to welcoming you back again at La Villa.

New York
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

What a perfect stay. The staff was friendly and accommodating-- they went out of their way to help. The room was updated, modern and comfortable. Enjoyed the free wifi (though logins were inconvenient). Breakfast was fresh and complete. Location is in the center of Saint Germain and easy walking distance to most major sites. Highly recommend this boutique hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank V B
Dear VB,

Thank you very much for your kind comments.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay.

Your review is greatly appreciated and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at La Villa in the not too distant future.

San Mateo, California
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My first visit to Paris--just one night for business. Olga at the front desk had offered to help arrange transport before I even arrived, and recommended the most affordable/efficient option to reach the hotel. A little help like that goes a long way when you are visiting any city for the first time, especially one as intimidating as Paris! Finding it and checking in was easy and quick, given the hotel's wonderful central location in Saint Germain and Olga's continued help. By some measure, I'm extremely lucky that I arrived on (Palm) Sunday afternoon, because the area is filled to the brim with boutiques and designer names--and they were all closed--I could have gotten myself into some real trouble otherwise. As other reviews note, you are less than 10 mins from some of the most lovely museums and parks, plus the Seine of course. For my taste, the room was perfection. Fresh design, clean, well appointed--it felt very youthful. And although small, for a single person it was perfect. Ironically, for being in such an exciting location in one of the world's most exciting cities, the thing *I personally* found most exciting thing he bed was SOFT! Having spent the prior week and a half in other hotel beds that felt like bricks, the mattress, pillows, and duvet here could have made me weep! Highly recommend staying at La Villa--I certainly will go back when I return to Paris.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Devon_weston,

Thank you for your outstanding review! We believe that our staff is our greatest asset, and we truly appreciate your comments. We will be sure to share these with our team, especially Olga.
The hotel went through major renovations and we are all glad you like the new style.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This small hotel is close to St Germain-des-Pres, well placed for the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay and left bank. The rooms are well furnished in a modern style and very comfortable, staff are helpful, efficient and friendly. The breakfast is good with freshly cooked eggs in addition to fresh fruit and the usual variety of breakfast plates and pastries. I would have given 5 stars were it not for the extraordinarily irritating WiFi which requires one to keep logging in every 15 minutes if you want to utilise the free system. I am happy to recommend them.

Room Tip: we had room 51 which has the benefit of being on a corner with windows on both streets. I is very pl...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank hampshiredv
Dear Hampshiredv,

Thank you very much for your comments about your recent stay at la Villa.
While we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed many aspects of the hotel, we would like to apologize for the "irritating WiFi". We are working on it and we hope you will see the improvement and enjoy it in your next visit.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed a long weekend in Paris with my spouse. This is a very comfortable hotel - clean, recently renovated, with friendly staff. The location is very nice in the heart of St. Germain. Breakfast was very good with hot servings as well, but the price is at the usual Paris level. We had a good package including it, so it did not matter. If you prefer to have your breakfast at the hotel, I recommend to look for a package price. Of course the room rates are on the high-side, but overall I found it to be good value for money compared to a number of other hotels I've stayed in in Paris. The only minus came from the noise of renovation works, but these were at the completion stage, so should not bother much longer.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VPP65
Santa Monica
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I once had a trip around France - where I drove through Burgundy eating and drinking my way through EVERY Michelin 3 star restaurant they had. I ended up driving into Paris. Horrible experience if you're impatient, and I'm impatient. With difficulty I found a place to park, lugged all the furniture to the hotel - and they didn't have the reservation. I almost fainted (after all that effort). They were kind and supportive and found a place nearby - The Villa. I'd stayed there once before and liked it a lot - very contemporary, and they had a nice jazz band. Don't know if they still do entertainment, but on with the story. I figured this will be fine. When I arrived, they'd gone through a remodel - and I got one of the suites. As much as I liked the place before, this place was now awesome. Service, the look, the location, and that bakery up the street with stellar croissants. I always stay there now.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ribbonaire
Marie_BREHERET, Directeur général at La Villa Saint-Germain, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Ribbonaire,

Your kind review is greatly appreciated. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay - something that we strive for with every guest.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back on your next trip to Paris.