“Some good things but...”

Hotel de la Place des Vosges
Ranked #1,199 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Pasadena, CA
“Some good things but...”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Fantastic location, the rooms are well appointed, if small. However, when I was there, it was quite hot, and there is no A/C or fans.

The building was constructed in 1605 and somehow they managed to wedge a tiny elevator into the stairwell. It starts on the 2nd floor and goes up to the 4th floor. The first time I stayed there the woman who checked me in carried one of my bags up to the elevator. The second time I checked in the young man let me shift for myself. An offer of help would have been nice.

A word to the wise - this is Paris and hotel rooms are small. I am 5'2" and I could have brushed my teeth while sitting on the toilet. If you are a large person you might be challenged.

Room Tip: Both times I stayed in rooms at the back of the hotel. The plus was no noise from the street, but th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank CACatgrrrl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
India
Reviewed 4 July 2013

My husband & I stayed here for 6 nights in June and it was really very nice.
The best parts: The location- Bang on place des vosges, its so charming and beautiful; it was also really very close to the metro; the rooms are clean, it has a tiny elevator for the luggage which is so convenient and most importantly the hotel staff were really sweet, especially Louise & Safa :)
The room is tiny i would have like to have a few hooks and a shower curtain in the bathroom. Else the place is a good value for money and is highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Chubbyswami
SCOTLAND
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel and loved it. The location is excellent. It is round the corner from Victor Hugo's house....what a beautiful spot. The park at the top of the street at Place De Vosges is wonderful. We used both the Bastille & St Paul metro, which are both near the hotel. We walked every day down to Ile St Louis for breakfast, we didnt try the breakfast in the hotel. I had a top floor attic room which was wonderful, the view from the dormer window at the front was of Sacre Coeur and Bastille Monument from the back French doors (which opened to allow air in, you can't go out). The bathroom was very nice, marble, although had no soap to wash your hands...odd. They only supplied shampoo!!!!

Room Tip: There is a few bars on the street, so maybe take a room at the back.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank 404351scot
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. When we arrived, we noticed that the front entry and lobby were run-down. The carpet on the stairs had been replaced with a cheap looking carpet that was poorly installed. The furniture in the lobby was worn out. There were outlets covered with masking tape in the halls and exposed electrical cords. The walls in the hallway and in our room were scratched and marred and needed painting. When we entered our room, we noticed that the bedspread had blood stains and there was only one bath towel and no soap. When we went back down to get a towel and soap, we were informed that there was a problem with the soap delivery (this was at 5pm). We asked if we should buy soap and the desk clerk suggested that we might want to. The next day we asked about soap again and we were told that there was a problem with the delivery again. On the third day, when we asked about the soap again, another desk clerk went next door to a small market and bought us some body wash. This does not seem like how a hotel should be run. We had the breakfast the first morning we were there--it was mediocre at best: little container of applesauce, bread, croissant, foiled cheese, yogurt, canned orange juice and coffee. Much better to go to a local cafe for about the same price.
However, the staff we dealt with were very helpful with making dinner reservations and were always very pleasant.
We can understand how this hotel at one time had received very good reviews. It was clearly very attractively designed when it was created and the location is amazing. It seems as though the owners are not investing in keeping this the hotel it once had been.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ellen71979

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I booked online and got no confirmation. When I called a few days later, I got a truly rude woman on the Phone who told me the hotel was fully booked. Fair enough, I told her I would be going elsewhere then. Much to my amazement and shock, the hotel managed to charged me for one night for.............. could you believe it .............. not showing up!!!! I have never experience anything like this before, truly unbelievable. It was their bad luck that I speak fluent French, so called them and told them I would not accept such behaviour. Thanks to my credit card company the money was refunded, but the hotel even had the guts to ask me for "evidence" that they'd really told me they were fully booked. Don't go here, the location may be enchanting, but customer service is a word these people have never heard of!

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Tim H
Hyannis, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I booked 2 single rooms for 2 nights months in advance of my trip with a friend, received a confirmation, and re-confirmed 2 weeks before we arrived. When we got there, we were informed that we had 2 rooms for our first night, but we would share the room with 2 twin beds for the second night. We were told that we had been on a "waiting list" for the second room for the second night. HUH??? Luckily, we were okay with it, but I can think of plenty of situations where this would not be okay. And how would one know in advance??? So, beware of your so-called confirmed reservations. Otherwise, the rooms were very nice, the location was great, and we opted for the breakfast which was very satisfactory.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Gramsy S
baltimore
Reviewed 4 April 2013

My son discovered this charming two star hotel last Easter right after it had been renovated. This is a charming hotel in a beautiful quiet street in the Marais right next to the place des Vosges. The room is a combination of old and contemporary with exposed beams on the ceiling and modern bathroom with excellent lighting. Beds are very comfortable. And the price is so reasonable for Paris!

Room Tip: Our room has a beautiful view of the entrance of the Place des Vosges. I believe all rooms have a si...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple