“Good location and friendly staff but...”

Hotel de la Place des Vosges
Ranked #1,310 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 26 January 2009

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel. The hotel is very well located near the Place de Vosges & Le Marais and walking distance of many main sights, bars and restaurants. The rooms are small, even the largest of the rooms are smallish, the bathrooms in the larger rooms, however, are good sized. The newly renovated rooms are too small for a couple, and I would say suit only singles. They are nicely decorated but rooms 10/20/30/40 face the back and there was a smell of cooking prevading the room. The hotel is in a very old building, with original wooden beams which gives much character. If you want shiny & new, and therefore clean looking, this is not the place for you. The rooms and reception area were clean but some of the furniture and carpets are old and worn, a little shabby. The breakfast was fine, juice, croissants, bread and coffee. The staff are friendly. Room prices are reasonable for Paris standards.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 December 2008

I've read many good reviews so booked my stay in this Hotel. They sent me pictures just after I ordered, because as you can check, they don't have any picture of the rooms in their web page.
Well, as soon as I arrive I already saw that the place was not really clean. Okay, I thought that maybe the room could be better, but it was so small that I cannot even put my bags there. The wall paper was "torn into pieces" dirty and the carpet either. I asked the person at the reception if the pictures that he sent me were after "Photoshop"...I've asked too if he could give us another room, he said maybe next day, but would be more expensive and upper floor with no elevator (was not working).I've told him that I had no place to put my luggages into the room, and the guy (Bart) was very rude and said that he had no idea. Well, I stayed for 4 hours trying to find a hotel, and finally I found a great place.
Maybe the good reviews are about the renovated rooms...they could tell me at least about the difference between them.

• Stayed: December 2008
6  Thank patcooke
Reviewed 19 November 2008

I stayed in this hotel for one night. It was ok, in a decent location, the staff were friendly enough, and price was average for that type of hotel if a little bit expensive. But there was a sad little turtle they kept in a tin bath in the lobby - it had clean water, but no stimulation whatsoever. I wouldn't go back simply because it depressed me so much each time I had to walk by it.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jillby2000
Reviewed 3 November 2008

We stayed here for 5 nights and thought that for what it was the hotel was a bit overpriced. Breakfast was 8 euro extra but we never took any. The hotel website is a bit misleading, i got the impression that the hotel had been made over but only on the surface. The building is obviously old and I appreciate that but i must admit i was expecting better in terms of the little things. We had towels with holes in them and i also noticed that the undersheet on the bed was ripped. Thankfully there is a lift on the first floor as the staircase is a bit hairy. The staff are very nice, however, and the hotel has free wireless internet access which was great. Despite the shortcomings, if i had to i would stay here again, although im sure i could get better for my money elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank HayleyM_87
Reviewed 16 October 2008

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend in September. As the other reviews state, the rooms are small, but clean.
Thankfully, we had beautiful weather, as we would not have wanted to be in that room for any length of time while awake!! Asked for a wake up call to catch a train, and never received it. When we asked why, we were told we must have done something wrong to the phone.
Would not return.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank zkil
Reviewed 21 April 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 5 days in 2006 and loved it. The people at the front desk welcomed us so much that it really did feel like staying at someones home. Our room was quite small but I don't expect some huge room while in Paris. While the lift is very compact, it was just enough for our luggage (what are people looking for???). The room had crisp white linen and the most beautiful bathroom you can imagine. We enjoyed our stay so much that we are going back in three weeks and have booked this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, and it was OK for us. The room was very clean -which was the most important thing for us-The bed was comfortable, very clean sheets and towels, and the shower was very good. The room was small, but we did not care about that . The hotel itself is an old building, so you have to know that this is not a "standard" hotel type and accept the experience. You have to carry the luggage by stairs up to the first floor, where there is a small elevator. The stairs are quite narrow. But if you are conscious that you are in a 17th century building, you accept the challenge and can even enyoy it -and this is the way we experienced it.

The only thing that did not impress me very well was the carpets and the furniture at the entrance lobby - they seem a little bit worn -, but that did not affect us much. - This is a two star hotel anyway.

The staff were corteaus at all times and we had no complaints.

If you are someone who likes the Place des Vosges area in Paris, value old things and want something different from a standard impersonal hotel, we have no problems in recommending this hotel to you.

Felicitas, Rodrigo and Nico (from Buenos Aires, Argentina)

Stayed: March 2008