“great location and that's about it.”
Review of Hotel de Sully

Hotel de Sully
Ranked #1,633 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 13 July 2010

If you're looking for a budget accomodation in the hip Marais, this might a possibility. But I wouldn't recommend. I had to choose this because every hotel and hostel was fully booked.

I had a double room facing the Rue Saint Antoine, a busy, noisy bulevard. I didn't mind though, a real city is supposed to be noisy. The large window was a nice spot to sit at and observe the street life. And window closed, I had no problem sleeping tight. Although it was a double room (63€) I was charged for single (50€). Anyways, it was still overpriced.

Room was in a poor condition. Carpet was stained, wall papers worn and ugly and so were bed and blankets. No breakfast was served, but that's no problem, there are nice cafés in the neighbourhood. Two times out of three, the shower was intolerably cold. The front desk told me that I should shower in the evening, so there would be enough hot water... phew. Fifty bucks might not be too much for a hotel, but no wc ensuite and no breakfast makes it non-recommendable.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel de Sully

Reviewed 5 October 2009

...with friendly staff and nice common areas. Recommended from a friend who lives in Paris, whose wedding guests all stayed there. The view to the street is picturesque and the windows shut well to close out the noise. Great, free wi-fi connection in the rooms. That said, room size and comforts are in line with France, not the U.S., so expect a smaller room, thinner walls and less-insulated plumbing than you might be used to. The value and location more than make up for it, so just bring ear plugs, as you would in any European city, and wake up well-rested.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 November 2008

Interesting place....if you're backpacking through France and are a young college student on a budget this place is an awesome bet. If I had stayed there 10 years ago when I backpacked through Europe it would have been a great value, especially for the location. Now, if you are on a tight budget this is a good value. If you are not on a strict budget I would not not stay here. We ended up there because we were in Paris during 'conference' season and could not find a room for under $300. Hence, it was three hundred big ones or 50 euros for one night--we opted for the 50 and the truth is that you get what you pay for. The maids and the older gentlemen were friendly. Location is unbeatable for the price. I am a clean freak and so had a bit of trouble putting my head on the pillow (bring your own sheet). Although it seems that the management is trying to upgrade as I saw new shower doors and plumbing waiting to be installed in the hallway. No elevator, the showers were built for midgets (literally, the shower/spout comes up to your waist--I'm 5'5 and the spout was on level with my belly button).

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank 1guendy
Reviewed 6 June 2008

it was the only LP recommendation that was bad - we actually walked the streets till we found the lovely Hotel Clip nearby - highly recommend

Stayed: October 2003
1  Thank tikidog_8
Reviewed 27 July 2007

Good Points: good location, nice staff, quiet, can come and go as you please, spacious, cheap (60 euro per night).

Bad Points: Really really dirty, stains on walls, doors, carpets etc, cigarette ash boxes lying along corridors. Bathroom mouldy, tiny and very dirty, lots of insects, no breakfast.

We have stayed all over Europe in Budget and hostel accommodation but have never stayed in somewhere as dirty as this hotel. The thing is though it could be a really great hotel, it's spacious, airy and quiet but there is absolutely no effort whatsoever put in to the cleaning of it (despite the cleaning staff being lovely and bubbly).

The skirting boards are thick with dust, the wardrobe is covered in other people's grubby handprints and the bathroom hasn't been properly cleaned in around a decade and there are plenty of insects to keep you company. Ashtray's (some of them broken) line the corridor, curtains hang of the rail and the television is too high on the wall.

The location is really good, with three metro stops 'Bastille' only 5 minutes away. Rue Antonie is filled with beautiful delis and an abundance of nice restaurants and cafes are nearby. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone but would stretch the budget, opt for somewhere more expensive and perhaps stay in Paris for a shorter amount of time.

It's such a pity really as with a bit of effort this place could be great.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank love4travel
Reviewed 3 May 2007

The rooms are fairly comfortable but it has a stong ciggy smell that you can't get rid of. Bed sheet are changed daily so I would say fairly clean but this place does not have ac so in summer try to ask if they have ac before you confirm your booking. The price was the one that made it all right. Oh yeah, no brekkie either but there are lots of cafe around the area.

Rite in the heart of Marais district, this hotel is super accessible with only 5 min walk away from the St Paul Metro. It is only 4-5 metro stops away from the Lourve Museum, Notre Dame Cathedral, Orsay Museum, Pompidou Ctr, etc. so it is very convenient.

There a supermart nearby too, so you can stock drinking water or juice and a little breakfast if you do not have a budget for breakfast everyday that you are staying.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luv2traveLMsia
Reviewed 5 July 2006

First let me say that my husband and I had to move to this hotel after realizing that we could not stay at the previous hotel due to insufficient availability of rooms (a mutual misunderstanding--not a big deal). I mention this because we did not have time to check out reviews beforehand. We tried to view a room before we agreed to stay but each room was full and there was not an option to see one. Hotel Sully was within walking distance of Grand Hotel du Loiret (the original hotel) and it was nice to find a place that had the same price and same features with the help of the front desk manager at Loiret. We were grateful to find another place in the Marais. While we would send friends and family to Loiret, we cannot say the same for Sully. In general though, we have a high tolerance....and though this is not the worst it is far from the best. Then again, you are only paying 55 euro for a double bed with a hot shower and toilet in the room.

The man at the front desk was extremely friendly, helpful and kind so no complaints there. I'm not even sure if he is the owner, or just the front desk manager so he may have limited influence on the state of the place. The room did not seem terribly clean, and it is likely that the patterned carpet masked more serious stains. The bathroom had a cracked mirror but the water was hot.There was a tv in the room though it's up quite high and can be a bit uncomfortable to view when lying in bed. It was a little dark in the bathroom with the one light. The sheets seemed clean but to be honest I didn't inspect too closely. I seem to recall some water stains on the walls and the curtains were not terribly fresh, and some hooks were missing. Towels were provided, and I don't think they were changed but we were only there for 2 nights so it was fine. Overall it was adequate given the circumstances but we'd not return.The walkup could be tough for some people, we were on the 5th or 6th floor, and we had a decent street view which was nice for nighttime. The hallways are dark at night and in the day. The stairwell has lights but I did not see lights in the hallway so we had to feel for the lock when we came in at night. There are what looked to be iron ashtrays (in the shape of window flowerboxes?!?!) propping up the doors to each floor. Very strange. They all had a lot of ash in them (though one was broken and ash was spilling out onto the carpet). Perhaps they were there for the front desk man who smoked like a chimney. You could tell when he was around because the smoke seeped in under the door. The smell of cigarette smoke got progressively stronger each floor you walked down, so even if you were partially sighted you would have had another cue as to which level you were on. There was 24 hour service at the door, and the location was convenient to the Saint Paul metro stop, shops and cafes. Location-wise it's great, but if you have a low tolerance to smoke like I do, definitely look elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2006