“Blown away”

Shangri-La Hotel Paris
Ranked #43 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 9 December 2012

We had the opportunity to stay at Shangri-La Paris with an Amex Centurion offer. We live close to Paris but from time to time we like to spend a week-end in the city. We previously tried Park Hyatt Vendôme (love the atmosphere) & Four Seasons George V (incredible service). I was expecting a nice stay but it turned out to be much more than that. To me Shangri-La Paris is currently the best choice in Paris!

We arrived with a taxi. Check-in was fast & efficient. We were immediately led to a lounge, served drinks of our choice, and within less than 5 minutes everything was done.

The we were lead to our room. We had booked a Premier room and were upgraded to a Premier duplex suite (woaw factor!). Upper floor => entrance / bedroom / large dressing room / bathroom with heated floor. Ground floor => large living area with small balcony & powder room.

It was my partner bithday, a bottle of Deutz Champagne was waiting for us together with a big cake. Only bad point is that we had a welcome note addressed to 'Mr. & Mrs' although we are a gay couple. I cannot understand such things still happen in 2012.

At check-in we asked to make a reservation at Shang Palace. Unfortunately the restaurant was already fully booked. But they offered to serve Shang Palace menu in the suite. It was really great! In fact I think it was even better to enjoy a fabulous meal in the privacy of our room instead of going to the restaurant.

The suite includes everything you can expect, hard product is excellent: two mini bars (one upstairs and one downstairs), Nespresso & boiler, free Wifi access (very fast), Evian free of charge, bathroom amenities from Bvlgari (thé blanc), electric curtains, Bose iPod/iPhone deck, etc.

We visited the fitness twice. Personal coach (Kévin) was very kind & helpful. He spent a lot of time to explain how everything was working (they have a 'Technogym Kinesis Personal Vision' that we did not know how to use). Fitness is not huge but the equipment is really great. Swimming-pool shall open before Christmas. We still had a chance to see it and it will be a real gem. With natural day light and beautiful decor it will be a great asset.

Location is very good, with a metro station (Iena, line 9) just in front of the hotel.

Overall we had a terrific stay!
Do not hesitate!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Cedric&Pierre

Reviewed 6 December 2012

Normally we stay at Park Hyatt when in Paris, but as we'd been there only a few months ago chose to stay at the Shangri-La on this occasion.  We based our decision on the uniformly excellent reviews on this site and that the hotel is of some historic interest, previously being the home of Roland Bonaparte, the French prince.

The Shangri-La is undoubtedly a magnificent building with many fine qualities to recommend it.  The doorman somehow knew my name on arrival, even though I'd never stayed there before, and the greeting at reception was very warm.

Our room was on the 5th floor, which I would recommend over the lower floors for its views; more of which later. The room itself (506) was very comfortable but slightly lacking in personality. It reminded me a little of The Grand in Brighton; upmarket but generic.

Breakfast was a major disappointment.  Firstly, there was no buffet; only a la carte. There was no apple juice, which is my preference, only a choice of orange, grapefruit, or pineapple.  All the juices were good but not of exceptional quality as they are at the Park Hyatt.

The service at breakfast was also a good deal less smooth than at reception, with the waiter managing to incorrectly deliver every item we had ordered. The bacon, sausage, tomato, and mushrooms were all adequate but nothing to write home about.  My partner reported the same of her salmon and exotic fruit salad.  The portion size was also less than generous. The total cost of 160 Euros (without service) was staggering and frankly ridiculous.

So, given these shortcomings, would I recommend this hotel?  The answer is a resounding 'yes' for two reasons:

Previously, the best views of The Eiffel Tower I had come across were from George's restaurant, on top of The Pompidou Centre, and from the cafe on the roof of Le Samaritain, the department store.  However, the views from the upper floors of The Shangri-La are something else again. It is almost overpowering to look out of your window and see this iconic building just 600 meters away, and quite magical when it turns into a flickering light show on the hour after dark.

The second reason is the Roland Bonaparte salon itself, which is to be found on the first floor.  It has been beautifully restored and is simply awe inspiring.  Anyone with even a passing interest in French culture should try and get to see it.  Strangely, it was totally deserted whilst we were there. I shall be posting photos to show everyone what they're missing!

Some banter with the doorman ('If you like the hotel so much Sir, why are you leaving?') set just the right tone on departure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room or suite with a view of The Eiffel Tower on one of the upper floors.
Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Robin S
ShangriLaParis, Directeur général at Shangri-La Hotel Paris, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2012

Dear Robin S,

Thank you for your review and interest in Shangri-La Hotel, Paris. We certainly appreciate the positive description made and the fact that you would recommend our hotel to others. Nonetheless, we feel concerned about your comments related to breakfast as well as the selection of juices offered. We would sincerely like to apologize for the inconvenience caused. Apple juice is always available upon request, we will reinforce our procedure with all employees at La Bauhinia.

It is not our intention to propose a breakfast buffet in our outlet but I have taken good note of your comments for further discussion with our executive chef, especially on the portion size.

Mr Robin S, we really hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again on your next trip to Paris.

Best Regards.
A.Borgers

Reviewed 4 December 2012

I may be slightly out of step with most reviewers of this undoubtedly fine hotel, but I don't really do "the Emporer's new clothes" thing in over enthusing as I do not believe the plaudits are entirely justified. This is an architectural gem, very close to the Eiffel Tower and within easy walking distance of the Champs Elysees and other main attractions. We stayed in a room at the front of the hotel which afforded a fairly nondescript view - very much a case here of getting what you pay for. Given the proximity of the Eiffel Tower I would have no doubt that rooms at the rear afford excellent views. The traffic on the street below was quite heavy for most of the day and well in to the night and the noise was quite intrusive with the windows open. This rather exacerbated the problem of the air conditioning which could not easily be adjusted, having been pre-set. The staff here are very attentive and pleasant - minor gripes were that we were not served tea on our arrival and on our second night, our room was not turned down, as we had not departed the room by 7.00pm. We ate in the Shang Palace which was very good. Overall, this is a very charming, pleasant and intimate hotel. on balance, however, I think we shall be staying at George V on our next trip to Paris.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Boltonwanderman

Dear Boltonwanderman,
Thank you very much for your interest in Shangri-La Hotel Paris and for having taken the time to write to us through TripAdvisor. We take your comments very seriously and feel very much concerned about some problems encountered during your stay, especially the one related to air conditioning in your room.The issue has been addressed with our engineering team. As for the welcome tea and the turndown service, procedures have been reinforced through individualized training.

Mr Boltonwanderman, I also would like to thank you for your positive comments made about our employees.

I sincerely hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again on your next trip to Paris.
Best Regards.
A.Borgers

Reviewed 27 November 2012

Was treated to a night here for my birthday in July and had a lovely visit. The hotel is situated in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower, and the balcony of our suite had the most amazing view (particularly at night). Absolutely enchanting.

The neighborhood is posh and quiet, and the service was uniformly exceptional. Our only complaint was that the hotel took no notice of our early check in request, and thus we had to wander Paris for some hours prior to having access to our room. Perhaps this couldn't be avoided (which is entirely possible) but it would have been nice to have it acknowledged at the time of check in, simply as a courtesy.

Otherwise, a truly lovely hotel experience and highly recommended (if you have an Eiffel Tower view).

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zoedodger
Reviewed 24 November 2012

We stayed in a room with a terrace. Effifel tower was right in front of our eyes. Elegant interior but most important of all, flawless service.

Staff at the reception was professional and helpful. I forgot that a euro125 F&B credit was included in the package. I was reminded when I checked out but we were leaving Paris and wouldn't have time to use it. Turned out that our friend who travelled with us had dinner the night before in the hotel and had paid separately. The front desk staff credited him the amount. The whole thing was settled efficiently. Though the staff had to made couple of calls, everything was done in less than 5min, and she had this very genuine smile all the time.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LIGCouple
Reviewed 22 November 2012

I and my girlfriend stayed here for 4 night in a wonderful Deluxe Suites room 209 which had a big terrace and wonder tower views. At 2,000+ euro per night and a simple breakfast at 50 euro each its very expensive even for a wealthy guest, but you really get what you pay for! The hotel even arranged a VIP Disney tour with a guide and no waiting in lines (for a price) which I found out of the way helpful. They even got last minute tower dinner reservation hours before. They even offer free S class transfer between 7-9pm for dinner.

When you stay here people know to take you for what you seriously.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank ABLon
Reviewed 21 November 2012

I stayed here last week for two nights (Sunday and Monday). My arrival from the USA mid-morning was graciously handled by the Front Desk staff who made me feel welcome instantly. Even though my room wasn't ready at that moment, they made a real commitment to getting it done ahead of time....and they did within 15 minutes. Check-in was done in the 19th Century Lounge with my choice of beverage. The room was very tasteful, well appointed, The bed was very comfortable, second floor view ...not so good.

Lets highlight the best parts of my experience: the Concierge Adrien and the doorman. Both were totally and appropriately engaged and authentic. We wanted to go to a particular Paris wine bar on Sunday evening. It wasn't open. Apparently, unbeknownst to me and my colleague, few are. But Adrien was determined to not only find us one but find us one that responded to our stated desires (including accommodating vegetarian dining). After about 15 minutes of searching, calling and just not giving up..he did, on the left bank and it was great.

The hotel's location is really good...right across the river from the Eiffel Tower.

A few nit picks but worth noting: 1) the amenities in the room are fine but not great - eg. no shaving kit/cream, 2) if you need/want a fitness center, beware it isn't finished yet so check when your reserve. A hotel of this elegance and stature should have a best of breed fitness center and I don't think it does.

But, when in Paris stay here if you can. It is a real pleasure. And, say hi to Adrien for me....and give him a challenge, he won't disappoint.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business