“good and honest!”
Review of Hotel Chopin

Hotel Chopin
Ranked #276 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I read several comments about this hotel before a reservation. I trusted in a majority of cases. And, they were accurete. I spent nine nights in April/12.

This hotel is old, but it is clean (for me one of the most important characterists). I used its kitchen to cook some potatoes for Paris Marathon. They permitted and could check that it was very clean.
Noises at night were one of my worries, but I haven't had problems with that.

Breakfast is simple, but it is enough. Excelent orange juice (made from Morocco, I saw "origin" at kitchen) and good croissant and baguette. If you want a extremely tasty croissant there is a boulangerie at hotel gallery where you can breakfast.

The room I've checked (classic) was small, but confortable. I just make a remark about its carpet. I don't like it, but there was not any respiratory consequences.

In sum, I liked this hotel for its budget price and location.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank pcrpcm p

Reviewed 15 April 2012

From the moment I checked in to this lovely quiet friendly hotel I knew I would be back! Sandrine gave me the warmest welcome which was most appreciated after a long overnight flight. The room was a comfortable size, not large but really who goes to Paris to stay in the hotel room. The room was spotlessly clean and very very quiet because it is at the back of a passage away from the noise of Blvd. Montmartre. The location is also perfect, a 20 minute walk from the Louvre and also from Montmartre. It is incredibly reasonably priced...88 euros for a single with a great breakfast for an additional 7 euros. There is no wifi in the rooms but it is available for free in the lobby and breakfast room. It is a charming hotel at an amazingly reasonable price.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Conledavis
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Whilst this hotel is in a great location and has Parisien charm, sharing a room with bed bugs is not ideal. The hotel needs an all-round freshen up

If you're looking for a quick stop over in a good location then go for this, but if you're staying for longer and would like a room that you can go back to and relax in (without bed bugs) then this isn't the hotel for you.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Sara W
Reviewed 10 March 2012

On my 2nd visit to Paris, I traveled alone, and chose to stay at this charming boutique 2-star hotel.

Here's a tour of my room: http://youtu.be/AxSH9ou2J0c

My room was a private double, with in-room shower/toilet/sink, and a desk, opening windows that looked out on to rooftops. There was a wardrobe, 2 bedside tables, and a tv. Towels were provided, and so was soap. There was also a giant fan that was super handy to circulate air in the room. I stayed for 2 nights.

Amazing location in Passage Jouffroy (see my morning walk through Passage Vivienne and Passage Jouffroy arriving in front of the hotel here: http://youtu.be/zxbCKhzCsqs) -- Also visit Passage/Galerie Vivienne near the Opera, beautiful, I can't say it enough.

Easy access to serious tourist shopping (and the wax museum, if you're into that) toward the main entrance of Passage Jouffroy (at Blvd Montmartre), and quieter shops, flower shop, and restaurants toward the rear entrance of the Passage (at Rue de la Grange Batelière, follow through Passage Verdeau).

Beautiful cafe/bakery directly outside of the hotel entrance, with several lovely chocolatiers in the passage and surrounding neighbourhood.

Note that the gated entrances to the Passages are locked at a certain hour at night (ask to confirm the exact time). To gain re-entry to the hotel, there's a buzzer at the main entrance of the Passage. I had no problem getting back in after going out for late drinks or dinner. If the buzzer is not immediately answered, just ring again (reception/security is always nearby).

There was construction in/on the building while I stayed, but I barely noticed it, the noise was not too disruptive in the morning, and it was nice knowing that they are maintaining the building regularly.

Reasons for this 4 star review instead of 5 star:
1.) no proper wifi for guests, however there's a free wifi spot (using a neighbouring signal) when you sit in one of the seats closest to the door in the reception lobby area. I could check my mail and look things up at night in the lobby; it is very quiet, with one person sitting reception almost all the time. (Alternatively, you can also use their guest computer near the lobby, which has internet access.)
2.) there is an elevator (pretty narrow, but typical and functional). It lets you off on your floor, but expect to bring your bags up (or down) a couple of small sets of narrow stairs, maybe 6-10 steps, before arriving at your room. Rooms are mostly located between floors.
3.) staying in the summer, the climate was perfect in the room--during the daytime I could keep the window open, however at night, I slept with the fan on and the windows closed (which worked out well, not too stuffy at all). There are no screens in the window, and I noticed (only a very few) mouse droppings on the rain gutter that runs outside everyone's window--which made me worry slightly that I might have little visitors in my room if I left my windows open for them. The rain gutters were otherwise clean, I was just feeling particularly cautious.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room, the view will be nicer. Also make sure to ask the daytime receptionists...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank aoc1982
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I have just got back from a long weekend in Paris with a friend and we found Hotel Chopin great.

The room was large (if a bit of an odd shape due to low slanting ceilings) and had all you needed including a free safe for valuables. The hotel is in a passage so very quiet at night as well as being located right next to a metro station.

The staff were helpful and one staff member Sandrine went out of her way to fix the safe for us and offer up a great tip on a lovely restaurant round the corner.

The breakfast is yummy (but extra) their is a machine that squeezes oranges for delicious orange juice!

I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Laura Y
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This hotel was in a great location with the metro right outside. On arrival, check in was smooth but when we were shown to our room we found a mousetrap with poison pellets. I was not sure what is was at first so touched it with my foot and the trap sprung and closed. We went to reception to report it and requested another room but the receptionist refused saying there was no spare rooms. The hotel is located in a arcade which is locked up from 10pm at night. Both nights when we arrived back at the hotel after 10pm we followed the instructions to get back into the hotel but the porter did not let us in and it was eventually the porter from the other hotel in the arcade who let us in. Other than this the room was clean and the shower was good. On departure the receptionist offered us a free glass of fresh orange juice.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kaylz440
Reviewed 9 February 2012

The Hotel Chopin has excellent location and in charming shopping arcade as commentedin all the reviews. There was really helpful staff.

I arrived and was surprised to find there was misunderstanding of the price i was quoted for the room for 4 nights but was happy to pay for higher rates for 2 nights.

On the second day I found myself covered with red itchy swollen bites all over my neck, face, and uuper chest, there was more bites appearing the next day. The staff was sympathetic and offered to move me to another room, which looks very similar to the ones I stayed, so I decided to move out. I was given one night free of charge.

This would be a convenient and nice place to stay if there haven't been any bed bug, but I won't want to take any chances in the future.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo