“One star or lower”

Ranked #554 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“One star or lower”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I have been traveling to Paris on business for ten years and stayed here for the first time in June. I hated every moment of it and was thrilled to check out. While the public rooms on the first level are appealing, I knew I was in trouble when I got off the elevator on the floor of my room. The carpet was dingy, the paint was cracked and scarred and it only got worse when I opened the door to my room. The carpet had both dark and bleached spots, the furniture was ugly and marred, and the plumbing fixtures were out of the 19th century. The separate closet for the toilet was so narrow there is no way an even moderately plump person could have used it. As I work for a non profit organization and have a limited travel budget, I really tried to talk myself into staying, but I had to do something because I was booked there for three nights. I called my travel agent, who in turn called the hotel manager and got me a room with an updated bathroom. But, you are not going to believe this, the new room - although it had a marble vanity and shower - had the same tiny toilet closet, the same scarred furniture, and carpet that was both bleached and spotted. If you like cleanliness like I do as well as decent furnishings, and don't want to have to leave your socks on when you walk on the carpet, make sure to stay somewhere else. As Paris was at the peak tourist season at the time, I could not find another hotel that was in my price range. Unfortunately, staying here ruined the trip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sue D
secretaire_direction, Directeur général at Saint James Albany Hotel-Spa, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Sue D,

Thank you kindly for posting your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us this past June.

It is totally unacceptable that you had rooms with carpet bleached and spotted. We have briefed our Housekeeping team of the importance of making certain our rooms are clean and welcoming.

During the summer, the hotel has undergone a restoration program (carpets, furniture).
As you detected such rooms, I would like to assure you that it had to be a rare circumstance last June.
Our wish is that all our guests experience a very comfortable and relaxed atmosphere in order to completely enjoy their stay.

On your next visit to Paris, we will do our utmost to make amends for the less than acceptable visit last June.

With my sincerest wishes,

The Management Team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We had the most wonderful time in Paris and this hotel was the cream on the cake. Terrific room, terrific staff and a wonderful location. I can honestly say this is the 7th time I've been to Paris and this hotel made it the most memorable.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the hotel so it made it very quiet
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jacksef
secretaire_direction, Directeur général at Saint James Albany Hotel-Spa, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Jacksef,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a delightful and wonderful comment on our hotel.

We are happy to know that you really enjoyed your stay and your experience of our room, staff service and location.

We will make sure to pass your kind comments to all the team.

We hope to welcome you again very soon at Saint James Albany for your 8th visit.

Kind regards

The Management Team
manchester
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Myself and my partner stayed at this hotel just for the night as we were passing through Paris.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful when we checked in, we stayed on the 6th floor. Our room was spacious with a nice bathroom and wooden beamed ceilings in the main bedroom area. View was just of the courtyard but that was fine. The main complaints I would have is that we had no tea or coffee making facilities, I thought the website I booked it through said there were. However I could be wrong.
Also the carpet in the room was badly stained, which was a shame as it would have been a great room if it wasn't for that. This was room 608, so decline that room if you're offered it.

We drove in to paris and parked just behind the hotel, it's about a 5 minute walk. If the hotel is on your right, take the next right turning, then head straight up that street. It's signed for parking and cost €39 for 24 hours.

All of the main sites are within walking distance from the hotel, that's if you're a good walker.
You're spoilt for choice on the restaurant front, but check prices first. We got charged €45 for 2 orange juices and 1 coffee :-/

Overall a great location and I would stay again!

Also one more point no iron in the room, but if you call house keeping they'll bring one up :)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank clairec1975
secretaire_direction, Room Division Manager at Saint James Albany Hotel-Spa, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear clairec1975,

Your comments have been well noted and we thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Saint James Albany Paris Hotel Spa.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed our Hotel.

Carpet in room 608 is going to be changed very soon. It is a pity to have carpet stained as this spacious room has a magnificent view on our inner garden.

Would you please contact us by mail to secretaire.direction@saintjamesalbany.com for the restaurant’s bill ?
2 orange juices and 1 coffee cost 20Euros.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

With best regards,

Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 27 August 2014

One of the best hotels on our entire European trip. The room was amazing! We had 3 people, and the way the triple was arranged was perfect!! Also, the location is perfect for walking to the Louvre and great restaurants!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Bianca P,

We really appreciate that you shared your experience following your recent visit in our hotel.

We are very happy that you considered your trip very pleasant and successful. It is the most important to us that you felt welcome in our large junior suite for 3 people.

We are delighted to see that location was perfect for you.

Thank you for your posting.

Best regards

Bordeaux, France
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This hotel has amazing service. My sister and I stayed here and absolutely loved it! We went down to the bar almost every night and our waiter Souleymane was so sweet and lovely compared to other bar waiters in the area. I would definitely recommend staying here and enjoying drinks at the bar whenever possible!

Room Tip: We got the junior suite, definitely worth the extra space
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Daley K
Dear Daley K,

Thank you for choosing Saint James Albany Paris Hotel Spa for your trip and for taking out the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am thrilled to read your recommendation about Souleymane.

Rest assured that your comment has been shared with Souleymane and our entire bar staff.

Our bar staff and I are looking forward to your next visit in Paris !

Best regards,

Calgary
Reviewed 24 August 2014

When I told people where I was staying they would raise their eyebrows and say "that's a very nice hotel". The lobby area is very nice. The staff are exceptional - very helpful and attentive.
The location is very central - about 2 blocks from the Louvre.
I was in a superior room. It had a bedroom with a queen sized bed, sitting room, large bathroom with a separate room for the toilet. As far as North American standards for the size of the space, it was very nice. The last time a decorator entered this room must have been some time int he 70's. It really needs some tender loving care. The furniture is very dated and doesn't suit the room. The curtains don't cover the window completely. Overall - drab. My TV didn't work and the Air Conditioning in one room worked but not the other. The plug in the bathroom sink didn't work. After my 2nd request the TV and bathroom sink were fixed however the AC was not - I could tell they did attempt to fix it. It perhaps is beyond repair.
I ate twice in the courtyard restaurant. I think this is the loveliest area of the hotel. A perfect respite from the crowds. To sit here and have a glass of wine and/or a meal was so relaxing and refreshing after a hard day of playing the tourist. The staff again were very helpful and attentive.
I didn't have time to take advantage of the spa or the pool although I did go down there for a peek. The pool area looked very nice. I was told that you were to dress in your robe from your room to come down to the spa/pool as there were no change areas.
I would stay here again however it is a very busy part of town. Saint Germaine/Left Bank does hold appeal as it is a little less busy but still central.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
secretaire_direction, Directeur général at Saint James Albany Hotel-Spa, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time leaving such a wonderful review. I am glad that you enjoyed every single feature of our hotel, may it be the Superior room, the courtyard restaurant and the quality of our service.

We hope to welcome you again in our establishment the next time you come to Paris,

Kind regards,

Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for three nights in August at the Saint James Albany. Firstly I would ask you to please ignore all the negative comments on this site regarding this hotel!! Lee got a great deal by contacting the hotel direct and our room (504) was amazing, junior suite. Everything about the room was to a 5 Star standard, hot water, very good wifi (that never dropped) sound proof room (didn't hear a sound) and fantastic AirCon. The hotel staff are all very professional, well motivated and look very much like they both enjoy their job and the beautiful surroundings that they work in. Everyone in the hotel couldn't do enough for us from simple directional advice to always having gluten free bread available for my wife at breakfast. I would strongly recommend this hotel, this is my first review on Trip Advisor and I am posting this review because I was so apprehensive about this hotel due to the negative reviews that have been posted about this hotel. A simply wonderful hotel, I can't wait until I return again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TedMcShep
secretaire_direction, Directeur général at Saint James Albany Hotel-Spa, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Ted Mcshep,

Thank you for your kind review !

We are very happy that Saint James Albany has been a perfect choice to your holidays in Paris.
It is true that our junior suites overlooking our inner garden are very quiet. Incredible as the street of Rivoli is close by.
We are delighted to have you as customers who do not stop in the negative review.
We make every effort to satisfy our clientele. Your opinion encourages us to continue. Thank you.
We really hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in a near future!
Sincerely yours,