“Less than 1 star”
Review of Normandy Hotel

Normandy Hotel
Ranked #1,140 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I couldn't wait to write this review! Please spend your money somewhere else. The hotel is in such a state of disrepair. Brown water out of the sink, broken shower, mirror with no reflection... just to name a few. Don't ruin your trip to Paris. I stayed out in Paris as long as I could just to avoid going back to my room the few nights I stayed there.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Juliet M M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,253)

Reviewed 12 May 2012

We stayed at the Normandy Hotel again after 25 years. this was a romantic decision as the last time we stayed there we decided to get married. we were not totally disappointed however it should be said that the hotel is now getting very tired and needs a good renovation. we were given a very large room that made the stay more comfortable but the paint was peeling, the carpet was nearly threadbare and the old wardrobe was managing not to fall apart. the staff were uncooperative without being rude so we decided to have little contact with them during our 5 day stay. we would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This hotel is completely over-priced for a complete under-performance. Rooms shabby, bathrooms out of the 1930s, hairdryers that don't work, rude staff, rubbish breakfast (when a French hotel serves poor coffee you know you're in trouble). As others have said, the only saving grace is its central location - but check out the Regina round the corner for location and a MUCH better hotel. They don't care as they have tour groups trekking in and out so they don't have to try. Just don't go here. This is one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in - even before we get to the 200 euro (a night!) price tag. Oh - and to top it all off it made my colleague and I very ill.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank champagnetraveller90
Reviewed 20 April 2012

My boyfriend took me to Paris for a surprise birthday trip and he booked the Normandy Hotel. After booking he read the reviews which were generally all very poor so he tried to cancel the booking which they would not let him do. This went on for a few emails/calls until eventually the manager said he would not refund the room but he would make sure we got a nice room. If what we got was a nice room, I feel very sorry for anyone staying in a not nice room!

Location wise this hotel is insanely handy but that really is its only perk. The staff were rude and unhelpful. The hotel was pretty shabby with very dated decor, brown patches on the bathrooms walls and a tiny, little bed that may as well have been a mattress on the floor. But as i say, I actually think we were lucky!!

It didn't ruin our trip though, Paris is amazing and we didn't spend much time there anyway but if you can find something else in the same location, I would book there instead!

Room Tip: Just do not book this hotel!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tinabombinauk
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Booked two single rooms at this hotel as I was accompanying a friend running the Paris Marathon.I chose it because of the central location and the fact their single rooms were reasonably priced.After reading the previous reviews I was not expecting much.
However,I was pleasantly surprised.Yes,the decor is dated and in parts a bit shabby but our rooms were clean and spacious.It did not feel that our single rooms were inferior as they so often are. The beds were very comfortable and we slept well.Breakfast was good with plenty of choice,constantly replenished and available until 11am.
The concierge staff were kind and friendly ,spoke excellent English and helped us book trips and transfers.Leaving our luggage after checking out at 12pm was no problem and was efficiently handled and carried out to our shuttle bus for us.Can these be the same staff referred to so negatively in other reviews?
The hotel location could not be bettered,less than five minutes walk to the Louvre.Plenty of reasonably priced places to eat nearby.We were very happy with our choice.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Annabelwel
Reviewed 13 April 2012

This is a sub-standard hotel. The reality does not match the web-site in particular which manages to make the hotel quite appealing. Room was shabby,staff ranged from downright rude(and this was the Manager who likes to threaten expulsion if you argue!!!!!!!!) to some who were helpful in difficult circumstances. Facilities poor-no bar first night and restaurant shut throughout ourstay. Hole in window for the pipe from air-con,paint peeling/chipped,carpet dirty,few coat hangers,no facilities for making a hot drink,mini-bar not stocked-all for six times the price of a normal Novotel/TravelLodge/Premium Inn all of whci knocked it into a cocked hat. The only redeeming features were homourous barman and location. I haven't started on breakfast arrangements but if you've got this far and are still interested in booking don't say you weren't warned.PS Other reviews are fair if over-graded!!!!

Room Tip: Find somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank stephen p
Reviewed 12 April 2012

planned to stay here for 2 nights during eurotrip. Hotel interiors are not like on photos. At all. Seems like it was furnitured in WW2 and never again since then. It's old, dirty, near broken. Dark side of vintage. Hall floorings are swamp-like, green and sloughy. I felt myself like in abandoned, godforsaken mid-Russian motel of Stalin times, even though I had never been there.

Seriously, watch out this so-called-4-star-hotel. Be wise and don't waste your time and money. Don't let them ruin your Paris impression, as they did mine.

Room Tip: Good rooms are in other hotels. Even average are. Click NEXT.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends