“Not as expected.”

Ranked #650 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Bangkok, Thailand
“Not as expected.”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The hotel staff is very nice and helpful but the hotel is not as good as I expected. Although the hotel entrance and especially the garden setting and courtyard are stunning! So much space in the middle of Paris is great!

However, the rooms are outdated and with 3 heavy suitcases it was hard to get into the room. We we're put in the farthest part of the hotel (Rodin) which has several buildings. They assured us that we had elevator to the room BUT they forgot to mention that you first had to drag your suitcases up 7-10 stairs to get to the elevator!! Not a good start!

As I mentioned the rooms are outdated and with a kitchenette in the room but no plates or cutlery what's the use of even putting it in?

We came from a different time zone and were jet lagged but the curtains in the room are just for decoration, you can't close them... Kind of hard to sleep with bright light at night coming from the court yard or during the early morning hours!

So all in all a so so experience. For this amount of money I expected more!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the first 4 buildings! It's easier to access.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mireille D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival we were welcomed by a very polite and serviceminded staff. The employe had a nice chat with the guests infront of us in the queue, they seemed very pleased with the service. He tried to strike a conversation with me, but I get very tired from travelling. He respected that, gave me all the info I needed and told us to call if there was anything wrong with the beds or anything at all.

The staff in general is very polite, most speak English and if not they still want to help you out. (Had some confusing conversations with the cleaning lady hehe) Make sure you learn some phrases in French before your arrival. I read somewhere here that some of the staff was unfriendly, I can not relate to that experience.

The rooms are good, they have what you can expect from European hotels. We were located at the 4th floor and had no problems with sounds or neighbours. The beds were nice and the staff did a good job with the cleaning. (We were also close to the elevator, no noise at all)

The facilities in the hotel is great. Lovely sofaes outside and dining tables. It is all found in a courtyard in the middle of the hotel. Didn't check out the gym, but it was nice to have the possibility.

The location of the hotel is close to sights as the Notre Dame, the lovebrigde, and the Louvre. You can easily walk to Notre Dame within 10min. If you don't fancy a walk you can use the metro right outside the hotel (very cheap).

I'm very satisfies with the stay so far, both me and my loved one. If I were to come back to Paris I would probably use this hotel again. I am feeling sad about leaving this hotel and city on Thursday.

I don't really have anything to complain about. I do have a friendly advice, the tapwater in Paris is perfectly safe, though I would recommend buying some bottled water (there is a supermarked 3mins away from the hotel). The tapwater does taste a bit of chlorine. At the same time if you are on a budget you can save some money by buying groceries :)

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ruben M
Joachim_Cohen, Directeur général at Hotel Les Jardins du Marais, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Ruben M,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to write a review following to your stay at Les Jardins du Marais. We are glad to read that you enjoyed the service and the location of the hotel. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back at Les Jardins du Marais very soon.

Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel but the desk not professional (personal at night is an exception). Room not too special. As in every hotel be careful what you book and what you get. I was traveling with a colleague, both booking were the same( same quality, same money paid for the rooms by the company) I got an awful room in the building Rodin, he was lucky. Above that,nice gardens to have a peaceful time. Normal breakfast.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Joachim_Cohen, Directeur général at Hotel Les Jardins du Marais, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Danny H,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We are glad to read that you enjoyed the gardens, but we are mostly concerned about your remarks concerning our front desk teams. Please be assured that it will be shared with the manager concerned. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had a fabulous, largish (for Paris) one bedroom suite overlooking the courtyard at a reasonable price. It was raining most of the time so there was no problem with noise at all. I appreciated the art deco influence in the décor which suits the locale. Good location (walk to Notre Dame easily, metro station a couple of minutes walk away) but customer service was often lacking which is why I have only given a three star rating for a four star hotel. I know its Paris and all that, but would it hurt to smile at the customers now and then? After travelling half way round the world and arriving with 5 bags we would also have appreciated a little assistance getting them into the room.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 386EllieC
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Hip boutique style hotel. The marais area is much nicer away from the hotel so you need to investigate. Right next to Bastille so very easy to get around to the sights. Only negative for us was the bed in our room was small & uncomfortable.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Louise N,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your experience at Les Jardins du Marais. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you appreciated the location of the hotel. However we took good notes of your remarks concerning the bed.
We look forward to welcome you again soon,

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotel is beautiful and located in the hip Marais section of Paris. Our rooms were beautiful and opened unto a courtyard. The staff was friendly and our lack of knowledge of the language made no difference, all spoke wonderful English. Lobby was beautiful, great bar, and really good breakfast. Our rooms were very clean. We will definitely come back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Eiffle section that opens onto the courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Terri H
Dear Terri H,

Thank you for choosing Les Jardins du Marais for your parisian stay. We are delighted to read that you stay with us was a success. Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon,

Spokane
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I can't really complain about the hotel except parts of the neighborhood seemed a little sketchy, but that seems to be applicable to most places. The lobby area was glitzy; the hallways were sparkly around the elevator yet dark. Most of the desk staff on duty at the time seemed pleasant (one middle-aged man was a somewhat snarky and brittle, but the younger men were pleasant). I can't remember why we were deterred from checking in to our flight on the computer in the business center, perhaps timeliness; the staff offered to check in and print passes. Be warned, certain people are not patient when you forget the time difference, especially when checking in for your connecting flights.

The room was nice, but it was difficult to understand the heating and cooling controls. Size was large for what we've experienced in Europe. I believe I had problems using the Wi-Fi; I have a note that it isn't listed on any of the cards perhaps or not working. The bathroom was beautiful; the bed was soft (yeah!). We too had the experience of noting the dishwater but no dishes. It was nice beautiful generic room. The breakfast was ok, very little variety, and it was a somewhat confusing to find the breakfast room; while eating my breakfast, I actually felt as though I was in a convention center awaiting the motivational speaker to pop up and pump us up for a great day of training ... perhaps a few woohoos or whoop whoop.

I wish there would have been a little bit more customer service offered when we asked questions about the shuttles or taxis, but it appears the general attitude, not just at the hotel, is laissez faire with a shrug and an eye roll when people question the process or fees.

The hotel was nice and ok, just not individual. Shuffle in, shuffle out, like cattle, much like the Hilton or the Hyatt - ok in its place. We would probably prefer somewhere else with a more personalized service, but, if we stayed in that neighborhood again, I'd choose this hotel for the feeling of safety. (I would like to say it was because of the price, but we've found even so-so hotels to be expensive.)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Anon58759
Dear Anon58759,

Thank you for your kind comments, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay at Les Jardins du Marais.
We hope to have to opportunity to welcome you back for a future parisian stay,

Kind regards,