“Some areas excellent, overall average”

Hotel Les Jardins du Marais
Ranked #560 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Having a birthday celebration in Paris on the final day of the Tour de France was not the easiest combination to work with. This hotel was one of a very limited list that could provide 3 rooms, one of them a family room.
The rates were higher than our original budget.
On arrival, we were welcomed by a pleasant and well organised reception. I appreciated the flags the receptionists wore to signify their language skills.
Our room was laid out with two singles, we were promised a remake to provide a double. This did not happen. The room was comfortable. It was equipped with a safe, tea and coffee and a fridge.
The patio area is very attractively laid out with areas for outside dining and relaxing meetings. The staff asked us to stay at the table and wait for service which was very slow as they were clearly understaffed. The drinks were very expensive.
Breakfast was good, self service fare.
The booked transfer service from the hotel did not arrive.
Overall I thought the price we paid was well above the service level we received.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank John R

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Lobby is modern and trendy and it feels like you've wandered into a chic boutique hotel.
Bellmen are not very helpful but reception staff are on their game and I ended up asking them every question throughout my stay.
Dining room is closed mid-afternoon so if you arrive early and your room isn't ready, there is no comfortable place to hang out at the hotel, unless the day is sunny and warm and you can hang out outside in their courtyard.
The courtyard is a former backyard between several bldgs owned by the hotel. Each bldg is named and has a single slow elevator that takes you to your room. The guest room bldgs are very dated, circa 1980. The guest rooms have no personality at all. They are clean and adequately-sized but they are charmless and have none of the modern trendiness of the lobby or courtyard. You could be in a holiday inn in DesMoines.
The restaurant is oddly modern and feels cold. However, the restaurant staff were incredibly warm and kind. They had winning personalities and easily encouraged us to eat more than one dinner with them. The food was simple but very well prepared. Not overly rich but not lacking in flavor or sauce. In good weather, they expand into outdoor tables in the courtyard and that's much more pleasing than the indoor tables.
Breakfast is served subterranean in the basement of one of their guest room bldgs at the far end of the courtyard. The choices are vast and typical of european hotel breakfasts. But if you do not book an exec room, you will be required to pay for your daily breakfast.
The neighborhood is not in the heart of the Marais as I hoped it would be. It wasn't really in the Bastille neigbhorhood either. But its a pleasant quiet local part of Paris.
I wouldn't rush back to stay here in Paris. There are many other options at similar prices in better locations. But there were things that I really liked about this hotel for this trip. The courtyard is lovely, in good weather. A great place to linger with a bottle of champagne. The hotel is large enough to give you some anonymity if that is important to you. And its nice to have a 3-meal/day (and room service) available at a hotel in this price range.

Room Tip: This hotel also had conference rooms. I'd recommend asking for a room on a higher floor so that...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mad00145
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel 3 days of a 12 day trip in Europe (part of a Globus 10-day tour). This hotel is pricey but we enjoyed our stay and were very comfortable. The courtyard was beautiful and I wish I had been able to enjoy it more. The staff was very professional.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Susan C
Joachim_Cohen, Directeur général at Hotel Les Jardins du Marais, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Susan C,

Thank you for taking the time to write this kind review. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked our terrace and the service. Hoping to welcome you again soon,

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Hi there
If ur like us who like reasonable hotels, and a cost effective price don't stay here!
Bad service, noisy hallways, house maids that forget to replenish yr room with the basics like bath towels?
Extremely expensive hotel laundry, as well as breakfasts!
Tiles falling off the walls in yr room also.

The hotel staff here don't even meet yr expections let alone exceed them!
If u want to stay on or near the marais district then don't stay here!

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank TIPS3
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The hotel staff is very nice and helpful but the hotel is not as good as I expected. Although the hotel entrance and especially the garden setting and courtyard are stunning! So much space in the middle of Paris is great!

However, the rooms are outdated and with 3 heavy suitcases it was hard to get into the room. We we're put in the farthest part of the hotel (Rodin) which has several buildings. They assured us that we had elevator to the room BUT they forgot to mention that you first had to drag your suitcases up 7-10 stairs to get to the elevator!! Not a good start!

As I mentioned the rooms are outdated and with a kitchenette in the room but no plates or cutlery what's the use of even putting it in?

We came from a different time zone and were jet lagged but the curtains in the room are just for decoration, you can't close them... Kind of hard to sleep with bright light at night coming from the court yard or during the early morning hours!

So all in all a so so experience. For this amount of money I expected more!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the first 4 buildings! It's easier to access.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mireille D
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival we were welcomed by a very polite and serviceminded staff. The employe had a nice chat with the guests infront of us in the queue, they seemed very pleased with the service. He tried to strike a conversation with me, but I get very tired from travelling. He respected that, gave me all the info I needed and told us to call if there was anything wrong with the beds or anything at all.

The staff in general is very polite, most speak English and if not they still want to help you out. (Had some confusing conversations with the cleaning lady hehe) Make sure you learn some phrases in French before your arrival. I read somewhere here that some of the staff was unfriendly, I can not relate to that experience.

The rooms are good, they have what you can expect from European hotels. We were located at the 4th floor and had no problems with sounds or neighbours. The beds were nice and the staff did a good job with the cleaning. (We were also close to the elevator, no noise at all)

The facilities in the hotel is great. Lovely sofaes outside and dining tables. It is all found in a courtyard in the middle of the hotel. Didn't check out the gym, but it was nice to have the possibility.

The location of the hotel is close to sights as the Notre Dame, the lovebrigde, and the Louvre. You can easily walk to Notre Dame within 10min. If you don't fancy a walk you can use the metro right outside the hotel (very cheap).

I'm very satisfies with the stay so far, both me and my loved one. If I were to come back to Paris I would probably use this hotel again. I am feeling sad about leaving this hotel and city on Thursday.

I don't really have anything to complain about. I do have a friendly advice, the tapwater in Paris is perfectly safe, though I would recommend buying some bottled water (there is a supermarked 3mins away from the hotel). The tapwater does taste a bit of chlorine. At the same time if you are on a budget you can save some money by buying groceries :)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ruben M

Dear Ruben M,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to write a review following to your stay at Les Jardins du Marais. We are glad to read that you enjoyed the service and the location of the hotel. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back at Les Jardins du Marais very soon.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Nice hotel but the desk not professional (personal at night is an exception). Room not too special. As in every hotel be careful what you book and what you get. I was traveling with a colleague, both booking were the same( same quality, same money paid for the rooms by the company) I got an awful room in the building Rodin, he was lucky. Above that,nice gardens to have a peaceful time. Normal breakfast.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Joachim_Cohen, Directeur général at Hotel Les Jardins du Marais, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Danny H,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We are glad to read that you enjoyed the gardens, but we are mostly concerned about your remarks concerning our front desk teams. Please be assured that it will be shared with the manager concerned. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again,