“value for money, great location, good for 1 or 2 nights”
Review of New Hotel Candide

New Hotel Candide
Ranked #1,630 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“value for money, great location, good for 1 or 2 nights”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Got a great deal for a 1 night stay with breakfast ( 73GBP including breakfast ) for 3 people.
Upon arrival we were greeted by polite friendly fully bi-lingual staff in a tidy and clean foyer. The room itself was small ( though by no means the smallest we have had in Paris) ,particularly with an 'extra bed' to make it a triple room. but if you are only there of a night or two without a massive amount of luggage its not really an issue. The room was clean and well made up, the continental 'no kettle in room' is something i have got used to, but if you are expecting tea and coffee you will be disappointed. The bathroom was clean, lots of towels and complimentary toiletries.There is not much in the way of soundproofing, but fortunately we did not have noisy neighbours, and it is set back just enough from the main road to dim the constant traffic noise

The breakfast was a standard continental selection, but there was lots of it and it was replenished frequently.

I was extremely happy with the location - less than 5 minutes walk from Voltaire Metro. 10 minutes walk from Pere LaChaise, 15 to Bastille. The local area has plenty of nice looking bars and restaurants also cafes fast food and takeaways

I have stayed in Paris frequently and I usually leave a hotel feeling that i have been ripped - off, but this was most definitely not the case on this trip.

Great value for money - great for one or 2 nights. I would definitely book here again and would recommend to those on a short trip.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Kamal_Barouti, Director at New Hotel Candide, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Dear Customer,
Thank you for your comment and for choosing our hotel, with regard to tea and coffee, it offers to our customers on request and free of charge with pleasure.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Just got back from 4 night stay and I was pretty impressed. Reviews are somewhat mixed so was slightly worried before we arrived! I was travelling with my sister and 7 year old son. Upon our arrival we were greeted by a lovely receptionist who was fantastic with my son and gave him a box of chocolates.
We stayed in a twin room with additional bed. Room was adequate, just enough for what we wanted. There wasn't a lot of space but we didn't need it. Spacious wardrobe and fridge with mini bar. Bathroom was spacious with bath and shower and lots of nice clean towels everyday.
All the staff were friendly and helpful!!
Breakfast was great! Lovely continental breakfast served from 7am-12pm everyday with croissants, bread, meats, cheese, jams, yoghurts.... Fully stocked with everything apart from on our last morning (Saturday) where they had ran out of a few things which was a slight disappointment.
Location was great. 5 mins from the nearest metro, supermarket just across the road, lots of nice cafes n eateries within a few mins walk. Nearest metro was on a straight link to Eiffel Tower which was handy as changing lines on the metro is hard work (far too many steps!!!) we also got to EuroDisney in 45 mins from leaving the hotel.
Overall a pleasant stay and a great 'budget' hotel I would definitely use again

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear Customer
Thank you for your comment and your loyalty, We would also be delighted to have you with us again.
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

On reaching the hotel late on Monday night, I noticed that the fire escape on the landing was propped open to the outside with half a bed. In the room itself the standard of cleaning was poor all round and the drinking glasses were dirty with lip marks, the bulb in the lamp defunct, the bath/shower lacked both plug and shower curtain and the bathroom extractor fan was not working. More seriously, the hand washbasin in the en suite leaked badly when emptied.
I waited until the morning to deal with these matters and focused on the wash basin alone - th most serious problem.
I met a hotel-uniformed maintenance man in the corridor and told him of the leak.
He said “There is no leak” but I showed him that there was. I watched as he phoned and reported it to reception.
At breakfast, I could hear the people from the room beneath ours complaining that their ceiling was leaking and angry because the hotel would not move them.
On our return that night, the leak had not been mended but was worse, soaking the carpet. On ringing reception, the receptionist said “There is no leak,” and “You have not reported a leak.” He claimed that he couldn’t move us to another room as the hotel was full and suggested we complain in the morning. I asked that he particularly make a record of the leak.
On checking out in the morning, I told the daytime receptionist of the problem with the washbasin. He said “There is no leak.” And “You have not reported a leak.” I assured him that there was a leak and I had reported it twice. I asked for a refund or some other form of compensation and the male receptionist was quite rude – of course there was no chance of compensation as I had paid already using Avios points from British Airways.
All the receptionists were male and my daughter and I felt that being women travelling alone may have contributed to the rude and dismissive attitude of the staff toward us.

Room Tip: Be aware that there is no air conditioning and sleeping with the window open led to being woken seve...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Dear Customer,

We have received your comment about your stay at New Hotel Candide in Paris and your problem. Know that we remain very attentive to the quality of service that our customers are, entitled to expect from our hotel and that is why we deeply regret not being able to give you complete satisfaction

Sorry that your appreciation to the New Hotel Candide was tainted by this unfortunate experience, and hope you will give us the opportunity to be better hosts in the near future .Pending this, and by reiterating my apologies, please believe Sir, the assurances of our consideration

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Benfleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Stayed at this hotel in the middle of May 2012, and quite frankly I wasn't impressed. On our floor there were people smoking which permeated into ours. I checked my paperwork and this was suppose to be a non-smoking hotel. The rooms were okay, although not very thoroughly cleaned by housekeeping, although the bedding was clean which was a blessing. The breakfast was okay and just a standard continental, nothing like what has been written about it in previous reviews. Oh well you live and learn, if you are looking for a room in Paris then this is the place for you, but if you have higher expectation then I suggest you pay a little more.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2012 via mobile

A double room, in whitch they put 3 persons. The aditional bed ( if you can call it that) was so bad, my back hurt every morning.
The breakfast was scary. The salami stinked.
The elevator was broken a day, and it looks like it's gona break every second again(scary).
Oh, and the bathroom... Clean... It dose not look so. Bad wather presure, and the wather goes very slowly down the drain...
Don't go to this hotel!!!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Atramam
Kamal_Barouti, Directeur at New Hotel Candide, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
We have received your comments regarding your stay at the New Hotel Candide in Paris. We are very attentive to the quality of service that our customers are entitled to expect from our hotel and that is why we deeply regret not being able to give you complete satisfaction.
Sorry that your appreciation of the New Hotel Candide has been marred by this unfortunate experience, and hope you will give us the opportunity to be better hosts in the near future.
London, England
Reviewed 28 March 2012

This is a pleasant hotel, roughly halfway between the Place de la Bastille and Père Lachaise Cemetery. The location is quite attractive and convenient for sightseeing via the metro and/or RER (express service, from Nation station). We needed to be fairly central as we wanted to make the most of the sights (I was an unofficial guide/interpreter).
The reception staff were consistently friendly, patient and helpful, with an impressive command of languages. The buffet breakfast was standard, in quite a nice room – there is a large mural, on canvas (I think), at the back.
I was put on the top floor (6th), but as the lift was very fast this wasn't inconvenient. The room was small and without a view, but quite attractive. Though it was next to the lift, there was no night noise. Just one little problem: the light by the wash-basin was far too bright (I simply didn’t switch it on again).
I would recommend this hotel as a pleasant and convenient base for a break in Paris.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ed_Paul
Kamal_Barouti, Director at New Hotel Candide, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Dear customer, the New Hotel Candide would like to thank you for your stay. We sincerely hope you have appreciated our establishment and our team. Hope to see you soon.
Sarpsborg, Norway
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I stay at this hotel everytime Im in Paris. Is the best service I have had in a hotel. The hotel is near the place I do buisness, and short way to the Eiffeltower too. Just five minutes to work to the shoppingstreets and pubs.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear Customer, Thank you for your visit and your comment. It's always a pleasure to welcome you. Sincerely