“A great hotel in Paris”

Ranked #1,630 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
New York
“A great hotel in Paris”
Reviewed 31 January 2013

When I look at some of the negative reviews of Newhotel Candide, I think perhaps they are writing about a different place. I've come here 5 times in the last 6 years and have found it just what I need. First the staff: The director, Mr. Barouti, seems to be the kind of general who knows where every canon is or isn't. He is on top of the details, and in the years I have been here there have been a number of improvements. For one thing, the wifi. When I first came here, you bought it at about 70 euros a week from a 3rd party vendor. Last year it was free but operated mainly on the ground floor. This year ( I am here now for a 2 week stay) it works in all the rooms and well. The reception staff are on their toes and very helpful. The cleaning staff have mostly been here for a number of years and are very thorough. The rooms have always been clean. That is true of the corridors too. European hotel rooms tend to be small. I have often been in rooms that are often for 2. They are much bigger than other rooms I have stayed in in Paris. They would be quite adequate for 2 people, understanding you don't spend a lot of time in your room. Every room has a good television and a working fridge. the fridge is important for me because I often go to concerts or theatre in the evening and just want a snack before or after. The breakfast is ample: cereal, fruit, yogurt, coffee, tea, fresh cold cuts, juice, often eggs, and plenteous rolls, butter, cheese, croissants. As an old French girl friend of mind was wont to say: All what you want. I usually come for 2 weeks or so in January or early February. The prices compare very well with other 3 star places I have looked at. I don't think you can beat this place. I probably wouldn't come in the summer, because like many Paris hotels, it isn't airconditioned and I would have trouble breathing. But I am not a fan of summer anyway. This is a great hotel in Paris and the neighborhood is alive and full of convenience Peter B

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Publius56
Kamal_Barouti, Director at New Hotel Candide, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
Dear Peter,

We thank you, me and my staff for your great comment. We are very happy to count you among our loyal guests, and we're always working to improve our services in order to find the same satisfaction with our other customers. Best regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shizuoka, Japan
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I had bedbug around many place in my skin at this hotel. They changed the room immediately after that. But they said YOU bring the bedbug by yourself from Airport. Do you think so? I don't think so. The room was dirty. I went to hospital in paris.I had valuable experiense on this travel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank occilaam
Kamal_Barouti, Director at New Hotel Candide, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your message concerning your stay in our hotel in Paris.
We are very sorry for what happened to you but unfortunately, even with an attentive cleaning, problems can still arrive.

The presence of bed bugs is not a sign of poor hygiene or sanitation, they can be imported by anybody who's travelling.

Anyway, we're sorry if someone told you that you brought the bedbug by yourself from airport.

Once more, I apologize and thank you for your information.

Yours sincerely

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Turku
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Few tiles missing in the bathroom, three beds cramped in a small space, no plug in the bathtub. Breakfast was OK but not worth 12 euros. Otherwise it was an average 3star hotel. Voltaire metrostation is close and great brasseries and supermarkets are available nearby!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Customer
Thank you for your comment, we take note of your comments and we hope to count you among our loyal customer. I wish you a Happy New Year.
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed 19 November 2012

This hotel room looked nothing like photos. it was smaller than you could imagine. the bed sizes were no bigger than the width of my body. (i had the two twin room) bathroom smelled like pee. no tubs, shower couldn't drain. walls were dirty. this is a very old old hotel. there is nothing new about it. only one room key and it was an actual key so everytime somoene opened their door around you it was noisy. the breakfast that was included was satisfactory however the orange juice tasted fermented. the heater/fan didn't come on at all. the fridge didn't keep anything cold. we had to rearrange the beds so my brother and i weren't face to face sleeping as our beds were only 3" apart from each other.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kimanhofer
Kamal_Barouti, Director at New Hotel Candide, responded to this review, 27 December 2012
Dear kimanhofer, we are very sorry for this bad experience and apologize for the inconvenience occured during your stay. We hope you will give us a chance to show we can be better hosts. Yours truly.
Hamilton NZ
Reviewed 2 November 2012

First trip to Paris, tried to find a cost effective hotel in the city, apparently they don't exist! Booked here. Staff were really lovely. Quite a small, bit old, really really tiny rooms which I have been assured most hotel rooms in Paris started their lives a broom closets! Really close to subway, seemed a nice area. Breakfast was fine.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Kamal_Barouti, Director at New Hotel Candide, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Dear Customer, the proverb saying always: our house is small, but our heart is big, then our hotel is small but our service and reception is helpful. Thank you for your stay with us and your comments. We hope to see you again.
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Great (quiet) location not far from Voltaire Metro station, with good eateries nearby. Good breakfast room and selection. Free wi-fi is a bonus. Room was not big.... but only used it to sleep in! Ensuite ample. Staff very accommodating. Hotel is not big, which was one of the attractions. (Far more personable.)

Room Tip: The room I had did not have air-con; but the windows opened to a common courtyard with sufficient ai...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank OzBruce
Dear Customer, It was also a pleasure for us to welcome you and to count you among our loyal customers. Waiting to welcome you again please accept, dear customer, our cordial greetings.
Uruguaiana, RS
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I, my husband and my son stayed at this hotel no September.The room is a little small for 3 people .The room has a fridge, wi-fi free, good beds, tv, shampoo.The breakfast was very good , it surprised me.They had fruit salad, 3 or more kind of cheese, salami, 2 kinds of bread, juice e sometimes eggs.The other advantage of this hotel is we can use the computer and the printer without pay . The only bad thing is that I found a nut and a napkin under the bed.The staff was so good there were a woman who spoke French and a English and an old man that spoke Spanish and French.Nearby, you can find 2 supermarkets with a lot of delicious things, a place that sells all kind of cheese, other with chocolate, meats and a MC Donald's on the corner.The subway is on the corner too.And the price was good.

Room Tip: It a small hotel and the street is kind of quite, I think that all the rooms are the same.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Dear customer, Thank you for staying at the New Hotel Candide. Your comment allows us to improve services that we offer to our clients to allow them to have a pleasant stay.