“Friendly with a sense of style in a non-touristy neighborhood.”

Grand Hotel Francais
Ranked #102 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 31 March 2011

The staff were very friendly. Rooms were decorated in a modern clean style and very comfortable. Wifi was free. Breakfast was included and was good. Neighborhood has lots of useful shops - cheese, meat, chocolate, bakeries... And close to an RER and Metro stop. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2011

Reviewed 31 March 2011

Excellent place to stay in Paris. Room was small, boutique feel. Breakfast enough to set you up for the day. Lots of local restaurants near by. Two metro stops within in easy walking distance.

No tea/coffee making facilities in room

Reviewed 31 March 2011

Stayed in this hotel for 4 nights; could have not been more pleased with the choice! In the past have paid the same or more for a decent enough hotel but Grand Hotel Francais was a real find. The hotel is well located (metro line 9 takes you to all the sights or within a walking distance); the staff were very friendly; the rooms were clean and comfortable but like in any big city, space is at premium so do not expect large rooms. Breakfast was included which was bit basic but left more room to sample the delights of culinary Paris and it was enough to set you for the day. Lots of places to eat near-by.

Reviewed 31 March 2011

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The location was OK. The staff very very nice and helpful and the rooms nice and clean.

Reviewed 30 March 2011

I stayed at the Grand Hotel Francais for 3 nights during the volcanic airport shutdown in April 2010. I had intended to travel to the Loire Valley, but a two-week long rolling train strike prevented me from traveling there. Returning from a couple of dayes in Lyon, I needed a place to stay in Paris while I waited for the airport to reopen. I chose this hotel based upon recommendations on the TripAdvisor site. Overall, I am extremely pleased with my stay. The hotels is located about 50 meters from the Rue des Boulets metro stop in an untouristy, everyday part of Paris. Although the double-bedded room I had was tres petite (and I do mean very small), it was clean and had modern furnishings and decorations. But what sets this hotel apart is its customer service. When I requested at the front desk about the location of a laundertte, I was told to leave my laudry and that the staff would wash it while they were washing the sheets and towels. I figured that the charges would be added to my bill, so I left it and headed out for a day of shopping and walking around town. When I returned that evening, I found my clothes neatly folded on top of the bed in my room. Later that evening, the front desk manager asked if my laundry was acceptable, and when I enquired as to the charge for the service, he informed my that it was free. I was pleasantly surprised by this, and amazed by the level of service I received. The next day, a colleague told me that the charges for his laundry service (a similar amount of clothes) at the airport Hyatt came to 160 Euros! The service at breakfast was similar. Each morning, the ladies in the breakfast room asked several times what I needed. The price for all of this service was very reasonable: 130 Euros per night including breakfast. I highly recommend this hotel for a comfortable night's sleep and great service at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I have stayed in several hotels in Paris over the years. Some had friendly staff, some had efficient staff, and some hotels were beautifully maintained. This hotel does it all beautifully.
Reception staff responded promptly and efficiently to all requests, both before and during our visit. Nothing was too much trouble for them, and they always seemed to have time for a greeting, a chat or to make recommendations.
We visited the hotel to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, and were upgraded to a privilege room (merci!) with a balcony overlooking the street. Fixtures and fittings were of a very high quality, as was the bed and bath linen. In conversation with others, I got the impression that this was the case in all the rooms, even the standard ones, which were smaller. Use of the fridge and the safe was free (in my experience, unusual in many hotels). This, together with the good-quality toiletries, loofah, slippers, free wifi and i-pod dock, meant that we considered the hotel to provide very good value for the money we spent.
We enjoyed the area very much - we had 'done' the tourist areas before - and found excellent restaurants and bars nearby at much lower prices than in the centre. Yet the hotel was only a few minutes away from the centre by the nearby metro.
Very highly recommended!

Reviewed 28 March 2011

The wife and I recently made our first ever trip to Paris and we booked a week at the Grand Hotel Francais based on the strong reviews of Tripadvisor. Having never been to Paris before, proximity to the metro was a must, and friendly staff was a huge help with the little details of our trip.

Upon arrival, we were told by the nice gentleman at the front desk that our room would be upgraded (nice bonus!), and provided us with a map of the city, along with a list of local restaurants that they recommend with descriptions for each. We tried one of those on our 3rd day there, and my wife and I both agreed that it was the most authenticly "local's favourite" restaurant we ate at during our entire trip. The room itself was rather nice, although the view from the third floor didn't really show much other than the street and the building next to us (sort of anticipated that from most places in Paris though).

As an added bonus, there were slippers in the room, which was nice for us as we don't normally like walking around in our socks, nor do we like walking barefoot on bathroom floors generally. Also, the staff were very accomodating when we needed to print out our boarding passes (and even when I asked that they delete all of our files afterwards to protect our personal information and the like).

The only small complaint would be that the blankets were a little warmer than we liked (it seems everyone in Paris finds the temperature colder than than we think it is... maybe it's the Canadian within us.) Overall, an excellent hotel!