“Nice room and fantastic & knowledgeable staff”

Grand Hotel Francais
Ranked #101 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We would definitely stay here again. The hotel location is close to the major attractions, two metro stations nearby plus several busses. The room, although small, was very clean, nice and comfortable. Bathroom had modern features and very clean. The staff at the hotel (especially Zayed) was very informative and helpful in providing tips for travelling around Paris.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Francais

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Many rave reviews about this hotel but not quite sure why. I've been to several countries in Europe and this hotel is by far not the best. There are certain pluses but not enough to place it among top hotels.

PROS: Location is good and Metro makes it accessible to central attractions in Paris. Our room was clean and easily accessible since we were on the first floor (I have a walking cane). Also, the individual who welcomed us on our first day allowed us an early check in since we were exhausted due to jet lag. We were also upgraded to a larger bed since I was with my son.
Breakfast was Ok but redundant and not enough varied fresh fruit.

CONS:

In spite of the good volition of the front desk, we were "upgraded" to a room which was tiny (way smaller than I've been in). The room was located next to a lane way so that it was always very sombre (even with our curtains opened). We couldn't tell whether it was cloudy or sunny. The front desk was amicable but the individual (night attendant) was not that friendly and seemed to be annoyed when asked something.

NOTE:
Upon arrival, front desk asked us to fill in a card including personal information, such as passport number, date of birth, address and signature. We were asked to fill out cards with this info without being told why. I suggest that one checks with their embassy to find out if this is normal practice - it MAY be. However, I've travelled extensively in Europe (in France, only French Riviera and was never asked); The French government MAY request this but seems unlikely to me. The person at front desk mentioned that the French government requested this info from guests but only after I asked why he wanted this info. He was very annoyed by the fact that I asked for an explanaiton and retorted that he just upgraded me. I didn't understand how the two had anything to do with one another but....just I suggest one checks with their embassy.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank thea2012
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Amazing service at front desk each time we went by. The rooms are small, but this is a very clean hotel and a great value for Paris. The shower heads are fantastic with good pressure. Easy access to hotel via metro. I would stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SFtravelingMama
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I travel to France regularly and always stay for part of our holiday in Paris. A few years ago we discovered Grand Hotel Français and since then have always made this our choice of accommodation when in Paris. We have never been disappointed. Service is consistently above expectation. Comfortable, clean rooms and excellent beds (so important for the weary traveller). Spotless bathrooms. Good breakfast selection. What more can you ask for in a well located (close to 2-3 metros) affordable hotel in one of the world's most beautiful yet somewhat expensive cities. Thanks again to all at Grand Hotel. See you in a couple of weeks.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is something I never knew I would say after having had disappointing stays in Paris before. From the moment we walked in we loved it. The reception staff were the friendliest we have ever encountered in Paris and the recommendation of a restaurant around the corner - Pozada- was excellent. We arrived early and after leaving our cases set off for a day walking around the city. On our arrival back later in the evening, we discovered that we had been upgraded from a standard room to a privilege room which was a wonderful surprise. Although not in the main tourist centre, which we liked as it was in an area that was quiet, it is very close to the metro.

Room Tip: I agree with previous posts - pay the extra for a privilege room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The service at the front desk made our stay exceptional. Zehr was so helpful and kind. We ate the most amazing food on this trip as he selected the restaurants, made reservations and printed out maps for us to follow.

The location is perfect, less than a block from the metro. The area (11th arrondissement) is great because it is not a tourist area, it's a residential area for locals. Which means great high quality, reasonably priced restaurants and no tourist traps. The last time I was in Paris I stayed in the 5th, this was so much better!

The room was huge for Paris and for the price. There was room to move about and our room had three large windows. It was very clean as well. Breakfast was good but there is a bakery across the street that would do as well. We are staying here again the next time we visit this beautiful city.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda U
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed in this hotel for one night but paid for two nights so I could check out later.
Room was minute but fairly comfortable. It was difficult to get to the stand for the suitcase and, although I didn't need the cupboard, I imagine it would have been difficult to use.
On the plus side, there was a small fridge in the room.
On the negative side, there was something wrong with the plumbing and smells of sewage regularly wafted into the room from the bathroom.
Another negative was the fact that the bath has no grip rails so it is difficult to get out of the bath.
The area is good with easy access to the Metro

Room Tip: Don't take room 554 unless the problem with the sewage smell has been rectified
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo