“Fantastic Experience”

Ranked #104 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
San Diego
“Fantastic Experience”
Reviewed 9 May 2010

We stayed at the Grand Hotel Francais for two weeks in April. We have traveled extensively in Europe over a 20 year period. The room, the service, and the assistance provided by everyone at the hotel, and especially Zyad, was unparalleled. While it is true that the hotel is far from the major attractions, it is just a block or two from two major metro stops. The neighborhood was full of great eateries, safe, and enjoyable.

Why I loved this hotel and the wonderful service:
1) After two weeks in a small room, when our flight was cancelled because of the volcano, we requested a larger room. Zyad not only gave us a beautiful room with 3 gorgeous windows, but he charged us the same price as for the smaller room.
2) When we asked Zyad for instructions on how to use the washing machines at the laundromat, he said we will wash your clothes. I asked him what the charge would be, and he said "No charge."
3) When we decided to go on a Seine dinner cruise, Zyad gave us a discount on the tickets, effectively negating the commission he would have gotten.
4) When we needed a hotel in Avignon, Zyad booked us in a wonderful place at a reasonable price.
5) When Zyad learned that it was my birthday, he had roses delivered to our room.
5) Whenever we needed any assistance Zyad and the staff spent an enormous amount of time giving us help in locating sights, booking tours, and so on. This is typically not the level of service you would get in a large chain hotel.
6) The rooms were wonderful. Both rooms had extremely comfortable beds, were new and attractively decorated, and had great bathtubs and showers with plenty of hot water. The hotel had wireless and virtually all other amenities.

In summary, I would highly recommend this hotel and will stay here again when visiting Paris. It was outstanding!!!

Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 May 2010

After reading all the raving reviews for this hotel, I have to admit I came with high expectations. However, I was quite underwhelmed by my experience. I wouldn’t say that there was necessarily anything terribly wrong with the hotel, however, I do not feel it deserved quite the amount of praise that is has received. First of all, while the hotel is located close to a metro stop, the stop is a good 30-40 minutes outside of the main parts of Paris where many of the tourist attractions are located. You need to plan at least an hour for travel into the heart of the city. The hotel staff was either indifferent or condescending with the exception of one very friendly night clerk. They appeared to disapprove of our inability to speak French and did not seem to appreciate our meager attempts. While the surrounding neighborhood did offer a wide variety of eateries, I did not feel very safe wandering its streets after dark. Overall, there wasn’t anything particularly wrong with the hotel. However, having traveled extensively across Europe, I don’t believe I would put this at the top of my list.

1 Thank iheartusc
happymanager, Manager at Grand Hotel Francais, responded to this review, 8 May 2010
Dear Madam Sir

Thank you for having chosen our hotel, we're sorry you had such a bad impression of our hotel. Our employees speak fluent English and are always ready to assist our customers. About our location we are located within 15 minutes by underground from the Eiffel Tower 10 minutes of Notre Dames . In addition we located not far from the Bastille district of which one of the liveliest area of Paris which is also a part of French history: the French Revolution.

If any time you want to change your mind we would be delighted to welcome you and show that the 95% customer who have found our hotel welcome on tripavisor are note wrong

Best regards
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 May 2010

First of all, my husband and I are middle aged seasoned travelers. We stayed in Paris at this hotel for 4 nights after being in Amsterdam for 5 nights. This hotel, although a bit out of the way, with, as expected, small rooms, was extremely clean and well cared for. We made out way around on the Metro to and from the hotel very easily. The front desk staff at the hotel during our entire stay were very pleasant except for the last day. On the day that we were checking out, a fire alarm sounded, not once, but twice in the hotel. I could not reach the front desk for any information (no answer to several calls), nor did any staff member of the hotel try and contact the guests with information. I had just gotten out of the shower, and did not know what I should do. Without any information being disseminated by the hotel staff, after the second fire alarm, I quickly dressed and made my way down the 5 flights of stairs only to finally come upon a staff member who told me there was not a fire in the hotel. Upon check-out, I happened to ask the manager/owner if they did not have a way of contacting guests in the event of a fire alarm, and his temper just took off. He started yelling at me "What can I say, we are a French hotel with bad service" When I tried to calm him down and say that is not what I was saying, but just trying to tell him that it was frightening not to know what to do in the event of a fire alarm sounding twice, and no response from the hotel staff, he continued on with his tirade. He went on about how he had two children and had not had a holiday in 8 months, he had not taken a salary last month etc etc. When I asked him why he insinuated that I was saying it was a bad hotel with bad service, he told me that "It was a joke". Believe me when I say, there was nothing funny about how I was addressed as a guest of his hotel. He then told me that since I was so dissatisfied that he was going to refund the entire 4 night stay to my credit card. I told him that I was not looking for that, and did not expect not to pay for what was otherwise a fine stay. In fact I tried twice to dissuade him from doing so. At this point, he was more interested in continuing his tirade at me, as opposed to listening to what I was saying. A simple acknowledgment of my concerns was all that I was looking for - that being that it was frightening to be in the hotel room alone (my husband had gone out for coffee), and having nobody answer the phone at the front desk to let the guests know what was going on. Instead, my concerns, and what could have been helpful feedback in the event that the fire alarm was accidently sounded again, was dismissed with a credit of 500 Euros. The last words out of his mouth were, "I've given you a credit, and you still are not happy - All I can do now is shoot myself in the head" I did not speak to him rudely, not did I raise my voice once, even though he was yelling at me in front of another guest for what went on for 5 minutes. It really made the end of an otherwise great trip awful and can honestly say that I will not return to Paris for a long, long time if ever, and never to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Juniegirl
Dear Madam,
In order to dispel doubts about the quality of our service, quality acknowledged by 95% of TripAdvisor users since 2003, and also for a sense of equity, comments readers need to be able to read the hotel manager’s response.
Thus, the event you are referring to did not really happen as you describe it.
The alarm button was actually unawares pushed during the night. Jacques, our faithful and efficient night watchman, after checking there was no actual danger for our clients, immediately proceeded to call our guests, one by one, to reassure them. This, of course, took some time.
This being told to me, I left from home and drove to the hotel, in order to check everything was fine and back to normal. Upon arrival what I could note were guests at the reception, thanking Jacques for telling them about the alarm and for reassuring them. Numerous clients can actually testify for this.
It is true that you have insisted on knowing why somebody did not call you in your room, while Jacques kept phoning each room one by one. Seeing your obvious dissatisfaction about our service and as our explanations were not enough, I immediately decided to give you a refund for the whole duration of your stay. The aim was to end this nightly and useless conversation, as all guests were relieved, except you. You firstly stated not being interested in this refund, but you however took it. You can look for it, you will never find other 3 stars managers ready to repay guests for the whole stay, only for a fire alarm.
So we firstly would like to thank you for accepting this full refund, and reallly like the compliments of the beginning of your comment. But users are free to draw their own opinion, now that they have heard the two versions of this «tragic» incident which, let’s recall it, was caused by the untimely sound of the alarm.
Melbourne
Reviewed 1 May 2010

We stayed at the Grand Hotel Francais for a couple of nights in April 2010. I found the staff very helpful and he rooms were clean and well set up for a three star hotel. The breakfast was a pleasant surprise as I have received 'toast & jam' only as a continental breakfast. The breakfast at the Grand Hotel Francais was quite comprehensive and there was enough available to fill any stomach! There were two Metro stops within easy walking distance to the hotel. The Rue de Boulets was the closest stop - only about 100 metres down the road. Free wireless internet was included and proved to be very handy.

Boston, MA
Reviewed 30 April 2010

We changed to this hotel midway through a two-week stay in Paris, and though the first hotel was a 4-star, this "3-star" hotel felt MUCH more luxurious!

Location is decent, in the 11th arr. Kind of a sleepy neighborhood but one block from the Rue de Boulet (sp?) metro stop and a 10 min walk to the larger Nation stop. Also a very pleasant 10-15 min walk to the Bastille/ Marais location. Just on the other side of town from the museums, Eiffel, Arc, etc. But not really an issue because the metro stop is so close.

Front desk is excellent- very helpful and cheerful. Rooms have great modern feel and though smallish (very good by Parisian standard) feel spacious. We were graciously upgraded from a standard to a superior room. Bed was REALLY comfortable and there is A/C in all rooms! Thoughtful free bottle of water and two cans of Perrier in the fridge, which is also nice and empty for the fruits and cheese you will probably buy (not full of crappy/ expensive liquor you won't drink)! and big plus- FREE WIFI in your room! (you just have to get the code to login to the password protected connection from the front desk)

North Yorkshire
Reviewed 26 April 2010

This was our first trip to Paris, I am so glad we chose this hotel!
My partner and I stayed at this hotel for 4days/3nights.
Our stay was due to start on the Thursday of Volcanic ash week!. We had been watching the flight news and had given up hope on the Monday so cancelled the room with the hotel. Then on the Wednesday we had the go ahead for the flight so rang the hotel and they were more than happy to reinstate our booking, and at no extra booking cost!
Having previously read reviews of Paris hotels, we were a little dubious as they all seemed to say expect a very small room!
This was not our experience here. The room was lovely, plenty of space, light and airy. Air cond' and balcony windows.
The shower was fab, and the room was spotless. Housekeeping came every day.
The staff were very helpful and friendly.
The location is good, lots of nearby shops, and restaurants. The ones recommended by the hotel are good, and better value for money than those in the city centre.
The metro stop is a short walk away, and as everyone else has said, gives access to all the major attractions.
If your visit is short go for the 5 ticket metro deal, it works out at great value for money.

1 Thank glitterverse
Syndey
Reviewed 24 April 2010

We had booked a 3 day mini stay in this hotel and ended staying for 8 nights due to the recent Volcano activity, what an absolute fantastic hotel. The staff, particularly Zyad were brilliant through what was a difficult time with cancellations and extended stays needed at short notice.
The rooms were perfect, the breakfast a fabulous way to start the day and the location near Nation and Rue De Boluttes Metro stations was excellent.
We would recommend this hotel to anyone for either a first trip to Paris or a return visit.
Thank you so much for the recommendations on Trip Advisor which helped us choose this gem of a hotel.

2 Thank JaneySue