“Good, but could be better - WHEELCHAIR ACCESS DETAILS INSIDE” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel des Metallos

Hotel des Metallos
Ranked #924 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
New York City, New York
“Good, but could be better - WHEELCHAIR ACCESS DETAILS INSIDE”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Overall, I think this hotel is a great choice for the average traveler who wants a comfortable, low frills place to stay in central Paris at a good price. If not for the check-in/elevator issues, my rating would be much higher.

PROS
- Location! The hotel is in the 11th arrondissement near three metro stops and several bus lines with tons of great reasonably priced bars and restaurants around. It's a short walk to the Marais and other central areas of Paris, but on a quiet side street so no need to worry about crazy traffic or drunken revelers waking you up at night. There's a weekly market on Tuesdays just a block away.
-Extremely comfy beds and one of the best showers I've had anywhere. The shower is a handheld rain shower head and it's divine.
-Rooms are small (normal for Paris), but not tiny. Everything is well laid out so there's no claustrophobic feel, and there was enough room for my wheelchair.
-The front desk staff speaks native-level English and is quite friendly and very helpful when it comes to calling cabs, opening doors, giving directions, etc.
-CLEAN! The cleaning staff do an exceptional job keeping everything looking brand new.

CONS

-Basic amenities left a lot to be desired. To be exact, there was a tiny bottle of cheapo shower gel/shampoo combo and a small bar of soap. No conditioner. Not the funky body wash/body milk bottles and tubes you see nicely laid out in the hotel website's photos. There also was no coffee/tea maker in the room. Hot beverages were available at the breakfast/snack bar (at a fee if you weren't partaking in breakfast [10 EUR]).

-Check-in left a lot to be desired. When I inquired about the rooms over email, I mentioned that I needed a room with two beds that was wheelchair accessible and was advised that the adapted room only had one bed but that the twin-bedded room had enough space for a wheelchair albeit the shower would be "less practical." I went with the latter option believing I'd at least be able to roll from the entrance to the room. Wrong. I arrived early and was given the option of taking a similar room on the 3rd floor rather than the one that had been held for me, which I agreed to. However, as soon as the elevator opened up, it was obvious that there was no way my wheelchair, a standard sized lightweight manual chair, was going to fit with me in it. The doors may be wide, but the depth is that of a medium suitcase. The girl at reception seemed genuinely surprised that the chair would not fit in the lift, and said that if we came back in two hours a room on the "first floor" would be available as its occupant was checking out. Ok, not a problem, and off we went to explore the neighborhood. When we came and got the key to our "first floor" room it turned out that the room was on the French "premiere etage" and not what we call the "first floor" in English. Meaning that to get to this room we would also have to take the very same elevator that I couldn't fit into the first time around. The logic of making us wait two hours to face the same exact problem is what made me take a star off the review. Luckily, I can stand and walk a little with help and my chair can fold, but having to make several trips up and down with a folded chair and then me was definitely a big inconvenience. Had I been travelling with a motorized wheelchair or not been able to walk this would have been a huge deal breaker and I'd have been forced to figure out an elsewhere to stay, so travelers with disabilities be aware! Once I did get to the room, it was big enough for me to roll around in the chair. The bathroom was cruise ship small, which was fine for me personally and the shower setup wasn't too bad, but definitely would not be doable for someone who needs to use a chair to get to the bathroom or cannot take one step up. I didn't see the adapted room as it only had one bed so can't comment on how suitable it would be for someone with a significant disability.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HappyManagerParis, Propriétaire at Hotel des Metallos, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at les Métallos.

I am sorry if you feel disappointed about your stay with us.

It is a pitty because we do have a wheelchair friendly room which is a double room and which is on the ground floor, we told you that and you still choose the twin room, unfortunately, all our twin rooms are on the elevated floor.

I know you did wait while checking-in but it was because we try our maximum to provide you a good solution which obviously we did not achieve.

Again, thank you for your business and for staying with us.

Regards.
Les Métallos.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Epsom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

This lovely hotel was the perfect base for our stay in Paris!

The cleanliness of the hotel was outstanding especially in our room and bathroom, the tiles looked like they actually sparkled!

Lovely interior design of the hotel and made the hotel feel different because it's unlikely that rooms in houses would ever be decorated this way.

The breakfast were great, plenty of choice of continental style breakfast foods. The staff were friendly too!

A brilliant stay in Paris which was only made better by this gorgeous hotel!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Millie6492
HappyManagerParis, Responsable réception at Hotel des Metallos, responded to this review, 9 August 2016
Dear Millie,

Romford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We visited the hotel in August last year, for a two night city break. It is in a perfect location for transport links, and was wonderful value for money. Reception staff were very friendly and welcoming, and the breakfast was varied and fresh. The rooms were small but this was made up for by cleanliness and comfort! Couldn't fault it at all, brilliant value for money!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear fb,

Bonn, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

The hotel is pretty new and very modern.
The rooms are relatively small, but for Paris that is totally normal and enough (you don´t want to be the whole day in the room).
Everything is very clean, everyday cleaning of the room is good and all of the employees are sympathic.
The breakfast is good for a hotel breakfast in Paris. You got bread, croissants, pain au chocolat, jam, Nutella and even some cheese, cornflakes, joghurt, juice and good coffee / espresso.
So all in all we enjoyed our stay and can recommend this hotel.

To the hotel owners: Please keep this level of cleanliness and style! We will come back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Esteban290
Dear Esteban,

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I really love this hotel. I stayed here for a couple of days and all I can say is that my stay was perfect. Great value for your money, AMAZING location. Convenient to move around and about in Paris, be it through the metro system, bus... even by taxi which you can ask the receptionist to get you one. My ride only took five minutes or so of waiting. And the staff are so friendly! The housekeeping always smile when you pass by them on the hallways, the receptionists are so friendly and eager to help out to the best of their ability and the rooms are so clean! The size was perfect, the breakfast was good, and the coffee machine they have makes the best coffees. When you get home late there's no problem since they have night receptionists who are nice and always available for a chat when you're bored or have trouble sleeping. In all honesty, I am completely satisfied and can't wait to go back to Paris and stay in this lovely hotel again. Highly recommended! :)

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank LeTravelNerd
HappyManagerParis, Gérant at Hotel des Metallos, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear guest,
First of all I want to thank you for your review regarding your stay at Les Métallos. It is very nice of you and it is a pleasure for us to hear so many goof things.
Thank you very much!!!
We are very glad that you felt at our hotel like at home. I will shared your comment with our team because your words are a big encouragement to all of our staff.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit in our hotel will be as pleasant as the previous one.
Best regards,
Shabir from les Métallos.
China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

First, as an AC-DC fan, I have loved the name of this hotel. Probably my Rock'n roll side.
Now, I wasn't the least disappointed by this choice: excellent location, very close by walk from the Marais / Oberkampf / les Halles. It's a great hotel from where to explore the city, the metro station "Oberkampf" is the closest from the hotel.
About the rooms: the hotel was very ingenious in making the best out of a small surface: everyone knows how expensive housing is in Paris, so the rooms are not big, but extremely well designed and equipped: very airy, colourful, modern design, excellent cleanliness of the room, snow-white bathroom with lots of natural light coming-in, quality towels, flat-TV screen, and small desk. All the useful amenities are there, including a hair-dryer for ladies. As for the bed, the room categories come in "Single" with a single bed (useful for the solo-travelers that are cost-sensitive) or "double" with a larger bed. I had the double room, and the bed was incredibly comfy, with quality linens and warm, heavy quilt. Thanks to the faultless cleanliness of the place and the cheerful colours, I never felt "squeezed" in my room. With free WI-FI included in the price, its a very good value for money in a city like Paris (I have paid 119 EUR all taxes included).
Now in terms of service: thumbs up too here! The staff is young, competent, very amicable and dynamic, eager to help. No dusty arrogant hotel keeper here! I had some really nice talks with the staff, most of which are working part-time besides their studies, and I really liked the way I was welcomed as a guest after an exhausting trip back from India. All spoke really excellent English.
About food. The hotel offers a very decent breakfast downstairs at a reasonable price of 10 EUR, and drinks / snacks / tea-coffee (at cost) are available throughout the day if you need to. For lunch / diner, there are lots of pubs and small restaurants in the area, just pick one or ask for advice!
The hotel also provides free maps of Paris, if you chose to explore the city by foot or metro (definitely the best option...it feels so good to wonder by yourself slowly in the streets of Paris!)
All in once, I have absolutely no negative point about this hotel, and will certainly come back the next time I am in Paris.
A few tips:
- In case you want to know, the normal taxi cost from Charles de Gaulle Airport to the hotel is between 45-55 EUR, depending on the traffic.
- Since the above is a pricey option, I found a GREAT website for airport transfer, in English! it's www.wecab.com/en on this site, you can pre-order your taxi from the airport to any destination in Paris, or from Paris to Airport. All the process is 100% online: booking, payment (major credit cards accepted...so you don't need to carry extra-cash for your taxi!). The best is to choose the "shared taxi" option, which will cost you only around 35 EUR. You will receive an email confirmation right after your online payment, and they will send you an SMS closer to your pick up time, with the car plate number / car brand. Their customer service is also very efficient in case of question / problem. Check it out.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Acidinmyfridge
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for such a nice and precise review.
We are happy that your stay went well and that you enjoyed the design and the location of our hotel. I will not hesitate to share your comment with all of my colleagues, I am sure they will be deeply touched by this words.
Check out our official website for tips and best offers.
Regards,
Shabir from les Métallos.
Rodez, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

Very good location near the metro,
we came for a concert at the Bataclan which is 2 mn away.
Staff speak good english, wifi is fast;
The rooms are small but enough for a small trip, shower is handsome
Excellent value, would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends