“Great location for Eiffel tower experience”
Review of Hotel Gavarni

Hotel Gavarni
Ranked #1,169 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 May 2013

This hotel was booked for a New Years break for a couple. We wanted somewhere near the eiffel tower as we wanted to celebrate new years at the eiffel tower. This was ideal, a few minutes walk downhill to the Eiffel Tower and Jardin du Trocadero, perfect for getting home without the use of taxis or public transport.
The hotel is tucked away down a side street, the taxi man was not too sure of its location but we found it in the end without much trouble.
Check in was hassle free, only the receptionist told us we would have one room for the first night and then we would be moved for the remainder of the nights to another room which we did not mind.
The room was small, but we expected this as this can be the norm by european standards plus we booked the most standard room and so we were expecting basic.
The bathroom was quite small also with no wash products provided, we knew this prior to arrival as it is an eco friendly hotel and so stated they would not provide such items.
But for a city break I am quite happy to make do with the room size as we are mostly out and about for the day.
More important to me than size is cleanliness and the room and bathroom were clean and comfy.
We had to hand in our room keys each time we went out, I don't particularly like this policy in hotels but overlooked it on booking and had no problems throughout the stay.
In the near vicinity there are a handful of restaurants which we ate in most nights and also a supermarket and pharmacy. There is an excellent boulangerie, near the hotel which cannot be passed by without sampling its delicious pastries. Yum!
Probably a bit too expensive for what you get, but due to the time of year all hotel prices seemed to be inflated.
Overall, a good, basic, hotel, most suitable for a short city break, any longer and the room may become a bit claustrophobic, the views of the eiffel tower from outside the hotel really sells this hotel. For a first time traveller to Paris, this hotel is ideal and it is quite amazing to be able to step out onto the street everyday and have the eiffel tower in your sight.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FoodLover311
toureiffel84, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Gavarni, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Dear Sir, Madam,

We would like to thank you for your kind comment on our tripadvisor page. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay in our little hotel. If you wish to come back in Paris anytime soon, we wish to inform you that we have a great deal during weekends and good rates this summer. We will be more than happy to be able to welcome you again!

Ms. Jennifer Gapasin
Guest relation

Reviewed 4 April 2013

The rooms themselves look quite modern but on closer inspection are already rather battered. My glass shelf bed side table fell off when I laid the room key on it as it wasn't affixed and the paintwork was pretty chipped. Size is an issue here. 180 Euros for a night and thankfully there was no second person sharing this "double" with me as if one person had wanted to move around the room the other would have to have sat in bed. The bathroom is just ideal if you were ever suffering from a nasty bug on the basis that its so small that if you sit on the toilet you can also put your head in the sink. Enough said. Floors are of stripped wood which looks pretty but means that you can hear every step taken in the room above making it noisier than it needs to be. A shame since the hotel itself is located on a very quiet street. I think that noone had stayed in my room for a while as there was a layer of dust on lots of things including the bathroom glasses.
If you have lots of luggage beware as although there is a small lift it is on each "half" floor so you have to either walk up or down a small set of stairs from each lift.
I had been told on booking that if I mentioned my conference hosts on check in that breakfast would be included but it wasn't and they refused to budge on it insisting I would have to pay 17 Euros. I didn't and wouldn't stay there again on the basis of it- there are plenty of other mediocre hotels to choose from in Paris!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank sj1904
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We went here as a wedding anniversary trip and we arrived new years eve and they had given our room away, they made no effort to componsate and blaimed me as it was a card problem! I found out they had tried to charge my card a week before and as I never keep all my money in my current account they assumed I couldn't pay? So gave our room away with no contact or anything. All info on website incorrect! Rude staff and I am French myself and from Paris this was beyound rude! But good location, pretty rooms, tiny shower cubical! Would use again only for location but the price is a bit steep for a 3 star!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank CharlotteFarhan83
Reviewed 7 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights and the whole experience was really good. Its probably a bit too expensive for what it is, although we were upgraded for one night which made us feel a bit better about the price we paid. The breakfast was 15 euros per person and it was very simple and very French. Try it once and then go out on other mornings. Overall, it was very good.

Reviewed 29 November 2012

I recentlg booked a small group into this hotel, and they had a great time I was staying with the rest of the group at a nearby hotel, but was able to get by and check the property out. it is very nice, decorated in a classic style, with a nice brekfast area, small but adequate, and the staff was professional and courteous to work with. The location is only about 10 minutes from the Eiffel Tower, and is a great spot to stay to tour the city.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I love this hotel I have stayed there on 5 occasions, it is located off Rue de Passy which has to be one of the nicest streets in terms of shopping and ( Zara- Zara Home- Zara Man-H&M- Sephora-Monoprix etc) plus an array of chic clothing and shoe stores. Lots of cafe's my favourite is called " my favourite cafe" and a lot of sushi and other french restaurants .. plus a great podiatrist and chiropractor. I love the place. I have stayed in the Versailles Suite and the Trocadero Suite which have a marvellous view of the Tour Eiffel, the rooms are comfortable and chic. If you are a couple I don't recommend a double room, it is really too small. The bathrooms like all French bathrooms are tiny... really tiny, but then one doesn't spend much time in a bathroom. Staff are friendly and obliging, unusual for Paris:) and everything is clean, but the best thing is its location. You can walk to the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre and the Bois du Boulogne and the metro is very close by as well.

Room Tip: Go for a suite preferably the Versailles or the Trocadero and you won't be disappointed. Even i...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We spent 3 nights in the Hotel Gavarni in Paris. It is located near to the metro and near to the Eiffel Tower. Near to the Hotel you can find really good sushi-restaurants.

We booked a three-bed-room, but in the first night we got a single room and a double room. The rooms were quite small, but very comfortable with a romantic ambience. Everything was very clean. So it wasn't that bad. Anyway we went to the reception to get another room, but at this moment it wasn't possible. But they told us we would get other rooms the next night with a connecting door.

As we came back the next evening to see our new rooms, we were very impressed!
We moved up to the 5th floor and got the deluxe room with a connecting door to the junior suite!! It was amazing! The rooms were bigger and looked very beautiful. We even had view on the Eiffel Tower! We enjoyed our stay in this Hotel very much.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends