“Wonderful Hotel and Wonderful staff”

Hotel Etats-Unis Opera
Ranked #589 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Ct
“Wonderful Hotel and Wonderful staff”
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Recently in Paris for 5 days with a friend celebrating a birthday. I had booked a hotel that turned out to be horrible! I expecetd small but this was small and dirty! I had to get out.
I checked out and started walking around and came upon this little hotel in a lovely section of town, very Central to everything. The receptionist was so kind,and helpful and showed me a room that was lovely, charming, immaculate, and much less then what I paid for in the previous place.She helped me to call hotel.com to see if I could get back my pre-paid, money back and arranged for me to leave the other place and did eveythig she could every day to make our stay wonderful! Her name is Martine. The gentleman in the evening, Beli helped with dinner reservations, quaint small eateries that were exceptional.The staff made the experience a wonderful trip! And the hotelis nicely appointed, clean and lovely. The rooms in Paris are not what we have in the US as far as space, but close to NYC hotel rooms.
This hotel is a gem.and the staff deserve an excellent for customer service.Etats- Unis Opera 16 rue d'Antin Paris
Tel 01420505 email: us-opera@wanadoo.fr
Randy Griffin and Gwen Wayne

Room Tip: The double room was charming that we saw. We opted for two single rooms only because we wanted our o...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ath;etes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 13 April 2011

We stayed here for the first time 13 years ago - upon recommendation from a regular guest. Got the same room on the second floor this time. It's a nice hotel with a very good location. We especially like that the area behind the hotel is full of nice japanese restaurants. The only thing we had great trouble with was the hot room. The so called air conditioning didn't cool down the room. It was more like a slow fan. We had to have the window open 24/7. As we travel a lot we always bring a pack of earplugs, so the noise from the street was acceptable during the nights. The covers in the bed was very, very thick and we were sweating a lot and had great trouble to sleep. It was even worse for our friends who stayed in 3 other rooms higher up in the hotel. One of these rooms had a nice small balcony - but it was hot hot hot!
Next time we consider to try one of the hotels next door this one, Best Western l'Horset Opera or Hotel France d'Antin.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank RunningAround42195
Geneva
Reviewed 21 September 2009

Very conveniently located close to the Opera/public transports but in a quiet street, a large selection of restaurants in walking distance. Comfortable rooms, friendly staff, only the choice on the breakfast buffet could be a bit larger.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 22 September 2008

I booked a single room with shower at this hotel for my stay in Paris. Through the hotel's website, I got a good rate a few months in advance.

The location is great, just two minutes walk from the Opera Garnier where you can walk to most central Paris or take the metro (subway train). The hotel is not on the main road, but just off it down a side-street so there is no noise leaking in from the main road. Also, I felt completely safe walking back to the hotel after some very late nights out on the town!

My room was bigger than I had expected (a lot of hotels in Paris have tiny rooms) and was pleasantly decorated and fitted-out. The en-suite shower room was good and clean (and with a very good shower!) and the air-conditioning was very welcome when I was changing for my evenings-out after a hot day in the city.

The only minor niggle I had was that the hotel had no bread or pastries at breakfast one morning, but I filled myself with the other food at the buffet and when I checked out they had knocked the breakfast charge for that day without me having to ask.

The hotel does not have a restaurant (they only have a bar and breakfast room) but there are plenty of very good restaurants and cafes nearby.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank Tourist2InParis
Toronto
Reviewed 16 July 2008

My husband and I came across this hotel after checking into another hotel that was a disaster. In trying to find a new place to stay we discovered this hotel one street over from where we were booked. We were very grateful that they had a room so we could change hotels!

The staff were extremely friendly and spoke excellent English. They went out of their way to accommodate us. Especially after we told them about the place we were booked into and the problems we were having.

The hotel was immaculately clean, as was our guest room, which was a good size with a nice, modern bathroom. The room also had a flat screen TV and a mini bar, and windows that opened out to the street.

The location is excellent - on a nice quiet side street, just a couple of blocks from the Opera, we found that we could easily walk to so many places. It was moderately priced, certainly not cheap, but definitely on a more moderate level compared to other hotels in the area.

We would definitely stay there again the next time we are in Paris, and we highly recommend it.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 16 December 2007

I often use this hotel when I travel to Paris on business or pleasure.

I can not say this was a thought throough choice or a result of a detailed comparison. Our company travel department once put me into this hotel and I just stuck with this choice. For years now...
Although, due to place unavailibuility I have used some other hotels in the same price range and I can not say I came across anything better.

Positive:
- centrally located, nice neghbourhood
- nice rooms
- free wifi in the lobby
- rather new bathtub and toilet. In some cases in Paris I can across some very old examples of sanitary engeneering.
- never messed up my taxi. I know it souds amasing but I had cases in other hotels when the reception would call me to say that they did not manage to get me a taxi. And getting taxi on your own in Paris (particulary on the way to the airport - big luggage and little time) is not a good experience
- the staff is efficient and nice. I used them for everything from getting railway tickets to getting flowers for my girlfriend, never had any problems
- for Russian travellers - sometimes have a Russian speaking girl at the reception

Negative
- "economy single" is terrible
- make sure you have a room with windown towards the street, as the "inner garden" is just a narrow well. But I believe if you avoid the econmy single, you will get a normal window view automatically
- wifi in the lobby only
- primitive breakfast - just go to some cafes on the street

• Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kara_sev
Loeten, Norway
Reviewed 22 February 2006

This hotel offered me a choice: to swelter and suffocate like a chicken being trucked to the slaughterhouse, or to open the window and listen to very loud ventilation exhaust all night long. (The window opened onto a narrow utility shaft--see photo.) They advertise the hotel as air-conditioned, but when I came down from my room drenched with sweat and gasping for air, they informed me that the a/c was not turned on so early in the season. The daytime outdoor temperature was around 70 F, even though it was still March. I had to leave the window open day and night, sleeping with ear plugs as well as Bose noise-reducing headphones. That kept the temperature in the (otherwise satisfactory) room bearable, but the hallway was so hot that profuse perspiration was well underway by the time the elevator arrived. To add insult to injury, I was charged for minibar beverages which I did not consume; I had simply moved them under the desk to make room for some cheese, and moved them back when I left. I tried to explain, but was only given half a refund by the harried and aloof clerk sitting behind his noisy, whining computer. Probably the worst hotel stay of my life (three nights - didn't have time to look for another place).

• Stayed March 2005