“Small quarters...”

Ranked #232 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Orlando
“Small quarters...”
Reviewed 7 August 2005

Striving to create a wonderful and memorable wedding anniversary for my husband and I, we made reservations for three nights at this establishment. What a mistake! The room reminded me of that Geico (sp?) commercial that is presented in the form of “clips” a new “reality” TV show about a married couple that is made to live in an apartment that is extremely tiny for a year…the commercial goes on to reveal how the small space plays with temperaments resulting in great anxiety and obviously arguments! As my husband is quite tall, and the room quite small…we became that couple in this space! It was terrible, and not good at all for our marriage…we are in fact still recovering! Placed next to what appeared to be a service kitchen, we joked that the only reason we were able to afford to stay at the hotel was because they made a special rate for the “new Opera guest room” created from what was probably until very recent the food storage closet. “Yes, we in the room where the peas were stored last year!” This of course was just a joke, as we have no idea about the history, renovations or conversions ever made at the hotel.

The following are some of our additional observations:

Pros:
•Fairly centrally located
•Close walk to Metro station
•Close walk to Opera
•Many restaurants near by
•Clean bathroom
•Rather large bathroom
•Nicely decorated bathroom
•Fairly nice staff, pleasant, always smiling!

Cons:
•Room too small for two people
•so small double bed was pushed against wall so create place to walk
•uncomfortable double bed
•Difficult to find a place to stow our luggage
•Yes elevator is small too (as someone mentioned on this site earlier)…but so what, they all are in Paris!

In summary, if small spaces are not a worry for you, then this hotel may suit your needs. Have a great trip!

17 Thank TravellingJen
Emmanuel T, Directeur général at Hotel Westminster, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to make your observations regarding your stay at The Westminster Paris.
We are indeed conveniently located for all our guests. Luxurious shopping areas, beautiful museums are all within walking distance.
Your constructive feedback regarding your experiences is much appreciated. As your feedback is considered as a valuable tool to ensure consistency in our usually high level service, we have shared your feedback with our ambassadors.

We appreciate your feedback, which will help us to improve our quality of service.

Emmanuel Traoré

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 July 2005

We stayed at the Hotel Westminster for four nights in late March. Having stayed at this hotel during spring break a year earlier, we had been so impressed that we booked the Hotel Westminster once again. One of the great draws of this hotel is the location. We did a great deal of walking (the Louvre is less than a mile away and the Champs-Elysees is just over a mile) and found this location to be ideal for seeing the many sights of Paris. We had two connecting rooms which were over-sized by any standards. Plenty of room, huge bathrooms and a beautiful view of the courtyard below. The rooms were very well-appointed and the king size beds were extremely comfortable. The only real complaint we had was the fact that the pay per view tv movies did not work the entire time we were there. With two young kids (who really enjoyed the movies when we were there the year before) this was a bit of a disappointment. Unfortunately, this wasn't much of a priority to the hotel. We talked to a number of staff members (none of whom had any idea how the system worked) and were met with general indifference as it related to this problem. We would have expected a better response. Overall, aside from the pay per view issue, the staff service was very good, although we learned it's a bit hit and miss with the front desk staff. Some of the front desk staff members greet you with a smile and could not be more accommodating. One in particular helped us make arrangements to ship some boxes and made several follow-up calls after we had left the hotel to make sure the boxes arrived at their destination. Others will give you the information you need, but don't necessarily make you feel like a guest who is dropping a fair amount of money into their hotel every night. A little warmer response would be nice. The fitness center on the top floor is a nice touch. Treadmills and bikes overlooking the Parisian rooftops made for a first rate work-out environment. Not sure when we will be returning to Paris, but when we do, we will look forward to staying at the Hotel Westminster.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Mercer Island, WA
Reviewed 29 June 2005

I have read many reviews on this site, so I thought perhaps it would be helpful to add my own thoughts to this hotel. We travel the world, and I have one 10 year old daughter. I did not have HUGE expectations, but LOCATION was #1 on my list. The Westminster Opera proved to exceed my expectations!

1. Steps away from Opera District Metro & just down the street from The Ritz.
2. Staff were friendly, and very helpful. (I asked directions every morning during our 10 day stay!)
3. Beds were very comfortable, and the room was quiet. I wondered at times if we were the only guests in the entire hotel!
4. Room was clean, towels thick, and soaps & ammenties were plentiful.

We enjoy antique "shopping," so we took the METRO every day to Clinging Court to browse anqiues. It was so much fun.

Watch out for pickpockets! I thought I was invincible, but three teenagers "attempted" to pickpocket me as I was going through the turnstile at one of the METRO stops. As soon as I felt them bump into me and their hands pushing down into my pants, I quickly pushed back ....which totally shocked them!

Pairs is a wonderful place to visit. Each day we took off to see one major site. The French locals were so kind to us. The Westminister Opera is a wonderful place to "land" and then explore Paris and go on day trips.

There is one hotel on the LEFT BANK that is ultra modern. We found it by accident during our 10 days of wandering around town. I forgot the the name of the hotel, but it looked tempting if you are not into the Westminister Opera's opulent antique look.

• Stayed August 2004
6 Thank jimsnelling
Dear Guest,

We are honoured that, for your stay, you have taken the time to leave your review of our hotel here on TripAdvisor.
Our Staff ambassadors make great efforts to ensure that all our guests can enjoy a pleasant stay. Please rest assured I have shared your magnificent words with them.

On behalf of all ambassadors we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

London, UK
Reviewed 18 April 2005

My husband and myself recently had the pleasure of choosing this hotel for a short eurostar break in Paris. This was our third trip to paris and we were pleasantly surprised. The staff were very pleasant and helpful and made every effort to have a room ready for our early arrival.

The room was small as you might expect in central Paris and although it was dark I found it to be clean, with a very pleasant bathroom. The location is fantastic and I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to have a short break in Paris. However if you prefer a more modern hotel then maybe this hotel is not for you ( I would recommend the Hotel Plaza Vendome) but for anyone wanting to experience a taste of old parisian glamour this is a great base for sight seeing.

• Stayed April 2005
7 Thank Traveller_UK35

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 April 2005

We stayed at the Westminster Opera hotel in April 2005 and were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a suite when our room wasn't ready. Service was very good and location is very central to Metro stop and major site seeing tours.

Stayed April 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Yakima, Washington
Reviewed 12 March 2005

Stayed there just a week ago (March 2005) and found the experience to be just fine. It was the best room I've had in many years of travel to Paris.

The room was far more spacious than I have imagined existed in Paris. The staff were unfailingly courteous, professional and didn't snicker at my amateur French.

I think the hotel is more suitable for the business traveler than anyone else. The bar and the breakfast costs are more in line with expense account entertaining than they are with most leisure travelers' budgets.

If you are a leisure traveler wanting a night of luxury (1st or 2nd honeymooners), then book a Friday night 4-6 weeks ahead of time through a travel agent for a 5th or 6th floor room on the courtyard with a VIP upgrade. If you can get it, it's worth every penny. Probably only works in the off-season but a good reason to travel then as well.

• Stayed March 2005, travelled on business
10 Thank Da_Perfessor

Reviewed 9 March 2005

I'm having the misfortune to stay in the 'mirror-walled' room for 2 nights which is pokey, even by Paris standards. The major issue was with soundproofing which doesn't seem to exist. My neighbours returned from a night out at 11:30 to spend the next 4 hours talking and having phone conversations. Whilst I don't deny them their right to do this, I do object to being sold a lemon of a room (for €180) and having half a sleepless night. Moral is you get what you pay for in Paris.

• Stayed March 2005, travelled on business