“Falsely advertised - no air con” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon

Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon
Ranked #433 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
chester
“Falsely advertised - no air con”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

We've just returned from a 3 night stay at the above hotel in March 2012. It was an unusually hot period of weather and on reaching the hotel lobby we were overcome by how warm it was inside - but were impressed by the lobby area.

The first part of our problems was at check in. We arrived shortly after noon. We were advised that the room was in the process of being cleaned and would be available in 30 minutes. Since we didn't deem that too much of an issue we waited as we wanted to get changed etc (we were impressed with the 2 free Macs on offer to surf the web during this time). The internet was free but you had to log in every 20 minutes to release some more time. We used 2 lots of 20 minutes and went to check back in. We were advised that the room was ready but needed to be checked. We were told that would take 5 minutes and he would come back to us. After waiting another 15 minutes we went back and were told the staff still had not checked the room and there were a few frantic phone calls to the chambermaids. We were finally checked in 1hr and 20 minutes after arriving! No drinks etc were offered. Had they told us it was going to take that long we would have left our bags and not wasted our time.

We were not impressed by this service and nor the heat of the bedroom (4th floor) on arrival.

We quickly changed, turned the "air con" on and closed the curtains to deflect the sunlight.

On our return at ~ 11pm the room was unbearably hot. Due to the long day of travelling we went to bed but had to open the window to Paris' noise. The bed had a thick duvet on too. The "air con" was non existent.

On Sunday we had room service which we couldn't fault (although it was just cereal, yoghurt and croissants + drink, no option for cooked breakfast or preference to cereal / yoghurt flavours).

On leaving the hotel that morning we complained about the air con to the front desk. They advised that they had no air-con! When we said it was on their website (and is still on their website) they said we were mistaken. They do not have air con. They advised that a fan would be delivered and I asked for thinner bed sheets.

On our return that evening we noticed they had shut the window in the room but had supplied a fan that was very ineffective (the temperature in the room was in excessive of 20 degrees even in the evening). The "bed sheet" supplied was a blue fleece blanket that still had 4 safety pins in it from housekeeping and did not fit the kingsize bed.

On Monday we were out to Disneyland and went down for breakfast at ~8am. We were shown to a table, and on getting up to get provisions, someone else was shown to "our" table. I then asked for another and was directed to another table - on getting there I noticed a pair of glasses so someone else was sitting there. On going back to the waitress we were shown our 3rd table, but again whilst we were up another couple were sat there. In the end we picked a random table as we had nothing to leave behind on the table to acknowledge we were sat there. Why this 4* hotel does not use a "reserved" tab or another means of allocating tables is beyond me. We also had to ask for coffee which took 10 minutes to arrive. We were severely displeased with this service and would not recommend the hotel breakfast.

I reported the continuing issue of the hotel temperature quickly before leaving Monday morning and was told that there was nothing more they could do.

We arrived back Monday evening approx. midnight and thankfully the room temperature was slightly better - this was down to the weather and nothing to do with the hotel services.

Tuesday morning we booked breakfast for the room due to the problems experienced the day before. This breakfast was not to the same standards as Sunday - the mixed fruit selection was only pineapple and fewer croissants.

We checked out Tuesday - and it was rather business like. There was no personal touch asking about our stay, it was simply "have you used the mini-bar" and "goodbye".

For a 4* hotel I would have expected so much better. The room was rather tired looking (I believe other rooms were renovated from other reviews), no air con, 1 hour 20 mins to check in (when other guests were checking in fine) and also on 3 occasions we saw staff smoking right outside the main entrance - certainly not a nice look, especially when 1 was a chef in his whites.

Overall very poor. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone going in warmer months. Why they advertise air-con and not supply it is false advertising and there was no customer service from staff. It certainly is not 4* and definitely not worth the advertised price.

The TV supplied was ~ 20 inch and only had BBC World and CNN English channels. Again not what I would have expected for a 4* as we have experienced better in Europe but thats a side as the TV was only on first and last thing of the day.

It is however very convenient for Gare de Lyon and Notre Dame areas.

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room, higher up (away from traffic noise) and preferably with air - con if it ex...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank lynda82012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Beirut, Lebanon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

Hi everyone, I stayed at this great hotel in Room 209 with my wife & 12 year-old daughter from 4 till 15 March 2012 & we truly want to thank all the great staff of Novotel Gare de Lyon for making our stay a very enjoyable & truly satisfactory experience indeed.

First, the Hotel has a very classy & nice historical look from the outside as well as a very modern & beautiful look from the inside & is ideally located very close to Gare De Lyon, which has endless metros & RER’s & TGV’s (Including line 1 of the Champs Elysees & RER A of Galeries Lafayette & Printemps) that can take you anywhere in Paris & in France & beyond.

Second, it is the closest hotel you can get to the Air France Shuttle Bus; especially since most taxis refuse to take you for a ride if your hotel is not far, even if you have 4 bags!!!

Third, all the well-trained & highly professional staff truly go beyond your regular expectations in terms of customer satisfaction; which reminded me of the great customer service of highly reputable hotels in the U.S.

Fourth, the check-in was very smooth & they have 4 speedy & modern lifts, which means no waiting for elevators to reach your room, which you will find extremely modern (with safe & hairdryer & free coffee & tea facilities) & big compared to other European Hotels, who even charge much more for their rooms! Plus, the great thing is that the bathroom had both a bath tub as well as another shower tub; in addition to a seperate toilet!

Fifth, the free in-door heated swimming pool was great; especially after a long day of endless walking & stair-climbing in Paris & the great thing is that it was always clean & the Hotel even provides you with towels & lockers, which only costs you 50 centimes or half a Euro, & which you even get back once you re-open your locker :)

Six, the open-buffet breakfast was great & very delicious; especially the fresh omelets & mushrooms as well as the delightful "pain au chocolats" & various delicious cakes & fresh fruits. Also the experienced lady that draws on faces of children as well as the experienced balloon-man who makes you any form of balloon imaginable were both an added bonus to the breakfast. However, I would have surely preferred if the breakfast during weekdays can still be served until 10 am like in weekends as opposed to 9:30 am; especially that we all like to wake up late during our holidays! Anyway, the good thing is that Continental Breakfast can be ordered to your room in case you wake up late! Here I want to especially thank the waiter who brought, especially for us, a tray of fresh omelets & “pain au chocolats;” since, we came one day later than 9:30 & that was before we knew about the breakfast hours! This is surely customer service at its best :))

Seven, we highly appreciated the fact that my 12 year old daughter’s stay & breakfast was totally free; which is awesome; since, most other hotels in Paris, which I have checked (including Mercure & Ibis) start charging children whose age is older than 11 years old!!

Eight, I read some reviews, which stated that the room is hot! Well, I found that it was warm rather than hot & which is great; since, it was very cold outside! Moreover, I advise them to do like I did & which is to kindly ask the reception or Housekeeping to provide them with thin covers rather than the double one, which is usually available. As for the beds, they are very soft & extremely comfortable :)

Nine, I read from other reviews that the hotel takes a charge for the adapters (20 Euros added to the bill): Well here I just want to say that it is totally refundable upon checking-out when you return the adapter of your iPhone or iPad charger for example, like I did!

Ten, we highly appreciated the fact the WiFi inside the room as well as in the lobby were totally free. In addition to 2 iMac’s in the lobby, which were also free :)

Finally, we would like to truly thank the great Hotel Manager as well as all the great staff of this wonderful hotel for making our trip exceptional & highly enjoyable, & we want to specifically thank Mrs. Fares, who personally phoned us several times during our stay to make sure that everything went well & also visited our room to inform us how to reach the Police Station, after my wallet was stolen from the metro & Thank God that the French Police, which I truly thank very much, were able after only 1/2 an hour to capture the thieves & return my wallet!

Thanks again to Novotel Gare de Lyon & to the excellent comments of the readers of Trip Advisor, which encouraged me to stay in this hotel in the first place (I also advise the readers to book directly through the hotel website since you get the best deal!). We will surely stay at this special Hotel every single year & maybe more than once a year; especially that you can never find in the wonderful city of Paris, all these great amenities & great customer service & excellent location with such a great & affordable price :)

Best Regards,

From a loving family who adores Paris :)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank NACH112
Sint Genesius Rode
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Rooms are small for 2 adults and 2 children, but for that price you can not be difficult. Very good hotel. Good children animation (children room with kinect and play station). Swimming pool is narrow, but good for a swim after a busy day paris. Perfect to come by car, and park your car in the parking (relatively cheap for Paris). Large breakfast buffet. Rooms are very quiet. Good location near metro station.

3 Thank visitors112
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed here during the February half term break with our two young children. The location was great and the hotel was good apart from boiling hot rooms, even with the air conditioning turned off. We ate lunch in the restaurant when we arrived on the first day, and would not recommend it - the vegetables were old and my partner's entrecote was chewy and very badly cooked. He mentioned it to three serving staff and nothing was done about it. One of them told the manager and he pretended not to know anything about it. It really felt like they did not care less about the customer's experience.

1 Thank Fifi7700
RL5026, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear Guest,
First of all I want to thank you for choosing my hotel and for sharing your experience following your stay.
I regret sincerely that you did not enjoy your meal and moreover that in spite of the remarks you did, nothing was done. Please accept my apologies. I have a word with the teams at the restaurant and ask them to be more concerned about our guest’s comments.
I hope you will still consider my hotel for your next trip to Paris and please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will personally take care of your reservation.
Regards,
Jean-Jacques Bruyand, General Manager
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel after catching the Eurostar from London and needing to wait for a connecting train to the south of France overnight. The hotel is literally in the precincts of the train station which was very handy and the main reason I give it 3 stars.
We fitted four in a room (two little ones!) comfortably. The bed was comfortable and the room quiet. Dinner was in the hotel restaurant and was fine, though a little expensive for what it was. Breakfast was at 5 am and consisted of a packet of biscuits and some coffee though I imagine a better breakfast occurs later. I don't think I would stay here if I was holidaying in Paris as the lobby felt quite insecure with different types of people drifting in from the train station, not all of whom seemed to be hotel guests.

Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Kimbo_Trader
Sankt Polten, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed there for a weekend with my family in Paris. For an arrival at Gare de Lyon, this hotel is just perfect. Also for visiting the city it is perfect: you have Metro and RER station just around the corner that takes you to the city center in less than 15 min.
The hotel lobby, looks very impressing with the exposed concrete surfaces, the rooms are very clean and absolutely modern! The bathroom was the most modern I´ve seen so far. It had the funny feature of a glass wall separating the shower from the bedroom and by pressing a button you could make the window foggy and by pressing again clear and transparant. No clue what you woudl need that for, but it´s funny. The room is also equipped with a nice large flatscreen TV and a NESPRESSO machine (complimentary 3 capsules, one of them decaff.)! The breakfast buffet was pretty good as well. The only bothering thing was the capacity of the breakfast room. There was a queue of at least 25 people ahead of us. Fortunately it was Sunday, it was a family trip, not a business trip and the waiting time was only 15 minutes. In return we were not chared for the excellent breakrast buffet that would have costed us otherwise 16 Euros. When travelling with kids, you will find a nice play corner with lots of video games and some wooden blocks to play (Kapla). The service was not soo great. As I´ve mentioned the waiting time as pretty long for the breakfast and we needed a 3rd set of towels, because there was 3 adults in the room, but only 2 sets of towels. It took 2 hours and 3 telephone calls to the reception. Other than that the hotel experience was great and we would come again. In the meantime we hope that the service will improve a bit.

Dear Guest,
Thank you writing such a detailed review of your stay in my hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms with their modern equipment.
Regarding the breakfast, I am aware of the occasional waiting times and I regret you were subjected to it. My teams and I are working on it in order to do away with it.
Nevertheless, I hope to welcome you again at Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon
Best regards,
Jean-Jacques Bruyand, General Manager
Beccles, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

The Gare de Lyon is perhaps two minutes walk away - so you've got immediate access to the Metro, RER and main lines. That makes for a great location in a city like Paris, especially when the hotel is pretty central anyway.

The hotel is modern and rooms utterly reasonable, especially if you can get a decent deal on the room and/or breakfast. The usual Novotel standard and the ability to put two kids in the same room as us makes Novotel a great brand. Our room looked out over the square at the back, which perhaps made it quieter.

Breakfast was a good buffet spread and kids eat free. I'd certainly come back here next time we need to stay in Paris.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel may be quieter.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family