“Great stuff, great room”

Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon
Ranked #433 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 14 March 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Mihalis D
J-JBruyand, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2014

There are newer reviews for Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Nice hotel close to the Metro (underground). Nice staff. Right by the big train station Gare de Lyon. Several nice restaurants close to the hotel. You could rent a bike outside the hotel. The reception crew helped us with different things.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor. that was good! We were upgraded and got quite a big room. Very fancy b...
1  Thank Marianne J
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We (family of 4) stayed at the Novotel for 2 nights in February 2014. There was some renovation noise during the day, as mentioned by the other reviewers, but it was in another part of the hotel and therefore had no impact on us.
The room was big enough, the décor was modern-ish and the pool and the pool area were clean. I agree with others that the location is great and you can get to many places very easily. Just to give you an example, the Tour Eiffel, which is pretty much on the other side of the town was 26Euros with the cab.
The staff at reception was very helpful and extremely professional.
The breakfast was great and they even had some kids stuff going on, such as balloons and face painting, which they did not charge anything for. Whilst it was supposed to only be open until 0930am, they stayed open until everyone was finished with their breakfast. Very nice.
The dinner was not very good. The kitchen made an effort with some Amuse Geule, but the meat "Prime Cut" was hardly consumable, the polenta stripes were not crisp and the greens were microwaved, or overboiled. The waiter seemed like he had never seen a wine bottle before and given the fact that I had ordered the most expensive wine on the menu, I would have expected to be appropriately served and asked whether I would like to have the wine decanted, which did not happen. He also did not let me try the wine, just opened and poured it.
So, I complained about the food to the waitress, who tried to defend it and when I insisted that I did not like it the head waiter came and was kind enough to not charge and bring a free fruit platter on the house. I then ordered a Club Sandwich, which was excellent BTW and we later enjoyed the fruit platter.
When I checked out, I was asked, whether everything was fine with the stay and I told them about the wine experience, but also said that I only wanted to let them know, no big deal. They then brought out the head of the restaurant, who was very apologetic, explaining that they had a staff shortage, due to illness and were in the middle of an extensive training program.
Despite me not saying that I wanted any discount, they cut all my drinks for the entire stay and once again excused themselves.

So, all in all a pleasant experience. It was great for the kids and they went the extra mile in trying to make us happy. We had a really nice stay in Paris and to answer the question you have in your mind: Yes, we would come back to the Novotel. At the end a smart management made it work and everyone was committed to customer satisfaction.

Overall a job well done.

2  Thank Florian_Krueger
J-JBruyand, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Guest,
I want to thank you for taking the time to write about my hotel and the inconveniences you were subjected to. Please accept my sincere apologies.
I have allowed myself to pass on your remarks regarding the dinner you had, to the Restaurant Manager and corrective measures have been taken.
I hope you will still consider the Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon for your next trip to Paris,
Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We chose this hotel as part of a Eurostar package and what a great choice it was. We stayed for 3 nights. On arrival we were greeted by very freindly staff who spoke good English and understood my limited French. Whilst booking in, I happened to mention that it was our 25th wedding Anniversary on the 3rd day of our stay and that this was the reason for our visit to Paris. They wished us a pleasent stay and we thought no more about it. On the day of our Anniversary, we went out to see the sights, and on our return, we went to our room to discover that the hotel staff had decorated our room with red rose petals. They also left us a little note wishing us "luck and love" and a box of chocolates. I will try to upload a photo of this. What beautiful people they are. This was totaly unexpected and just added to what turned out to be a perfect trip. The Hotel was spotlessly clean with great food served by staff who always had a smile for you and were professional at all times. The facilities were great with a pool available 24/7 accessed using your room key card. The room itself was equipt with a kettle, with tea and coffee topped up each day. A safe for your valuable items, a fridge and a large flat screen TV that had some english speaking channels too. There was plenty of storage and extra seating. The shower room had privacy glass that you could see through from the bedroom until you pressed a button in the cubicle which turned the glass opaque. This meant you could not see into the shower if modesty was an issue. There was a king size bed which was comfortable and extra pillows were in the wardrobe in zip up cases to keep them clean. There was a thermostat in the room which also had a 3 speed fan setting so you were in total control of the temperature. As a previous reviewer stated, this hotel has not got great views from it's windows, but what more do you want from a hotel in a city. There are great metro, bus, and taxi links right outside of the front door. We are not fitness fanatics by any stretch of the imagination but we managed to stroll upto the Notre Dame and back to the hotel one evening without breaking into a sweat. I cannot speak highly enough of this Hotel and all of it's staff There was a warm welcome from everyone, from management to cleaners. Everyone made you feel special and very welcome. I think by now you can guess that this hotel comes highly recommended by us.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Excellent hotel. It was my second time in this hotel. The location is close markets, restaurants, stores and quiet. Very close railway gare de lyon station and also the subway station. Recomend buy the breakfast, cheap and delicious.

Room Tip: The rooms are very nice, so anyone specifically
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Felipe P

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on our hotel.

The Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon has, indeed, a great location in the heart of Paris and we are glad that you appreciated the easy access to the subway and the train station.

We hope to see you soon again,

Regards,

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed for 4 nights in half term. Location wide it's very convenient for the tube which is handy when arriving. If you want picturesque or luxury then this isn't for you. It's just not made that way! That's not to say its a bad hotel - far from it. As a family of four it was ideal. Good value, great breakfast, friendly staff and a magician to entertain whilst eating. Pool was ok and handy after a days sight seeing to unwind a bit in. Free wifi helpful for staying in touch with home. Clean room, pretty comfortable though Cosy for 4!
Highly recommended to families travelling to paris or to disney

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
J-JBruyand, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Guest,
I thank you for choosing Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon for your family trip in Paris and for taking the time to write about it.
It is true that we are very lucky with our location next to the railway station the underground which allow you to reach the main sites and attractions very easily and quickly.
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the swimming pool, the animation during breakfast and the layout of your room. We are working constantly in order to give families the best welcome so they feel "like home".
Thanks again !
Regards,

Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

I'm just sitting in the lobby, waiting to leave to airport. It was very pleasant stay at the hotell. No complaints. Pleasant service, good breakfast, swimming pool and play room for the kids. Easy access to metro. Rooms were just fine, we had the older ones. Thanks!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family