“Good Hotel suited purpose”

Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon
Ranked #435 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
sydney
“Good Hotel suited purpose”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Arrived after 24 hour flight to excellent service from Stephane. No room was available as yet but our luggage was taken care of and we were given access to a washroom to freshen up. We had been to Paris several times before so this was an overnighter ready for our train journey to the south of France the next day. We were able to walk the couple of blocks from the hotel to the seine and access to all sites. We had no safety concerns at all and the hotel suited our purpose beautifully.

Room Tip: We had 401 - would suggest not near the lift as it pings on arrival which could be noisy during the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sydlady

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Okay hotel, very poor neighborhood and felt unsafe outside the front door, we didn't even want to walk the 200 meters to a shop. Choose somewhere else, so many other nicer, safer and more confidently located hotels in Paris!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adam O
J-JBruyand, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Guest,
I thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I am pleased to read the the services of my hotel were up to your expectations.
Nevertheless, I sincerely regret the feeling of insecurity you experienced when you wanted to walk around. Your comment is very important to me as I work closely with the Police and Municipal authorities of the area to secure at best, the hotel surroundings ; so far, we do not record any situation endangering the safety of our Guests.
I do hope that, we will be able to welcome you again as a client of Novotel.
Tokyo
Reviewed 3 April 2014

In my experience,Novotel is a safe choice to stay during business trip in France.
The quality is rather standard, not outstanding but rarely disappointing.
However, it is my first time to experience of discomfort after more than staying 20 nights in various Novotel hotels. Actually it was my second time to stay this hotel. I chose this hotel due to its close location to the Gare de Lyon from where I took a early TVG. The hotel is just next to the station so the location could not be better. My problem was the room. Newly appointed room looks fine. But I think chemicals used irritated me in my eyes and nose and bed was very uncomfortable to sleep. Very thin and funny softness. Finally, I could not sleep well on bed and slept for few hours on the coach chair !
It was strange experience and I suppose it unique to my special room or my own condition. Will continue to stay in Novotel but I wish to alert those chemical sensitive travelers.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank gehararigo
J-JBruyand, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon, responded to this review, 1 December 2014
Dear Guest,
I thank you for taking the time to write about your stay in my hotel.
I regret the inconvenience you were subjected to and please accept my sincere apologies.
Although, we did not get any other complain regarding the newly renovated rooms, I have allowed myself to forward your remark to the Novotel Construction and Renovation Department.
I remain at your disposal and hope you will still consider my hotel for your next trip to Paris.
Kind regards,
Amares, Portugal
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Kids are really welcome. The price is very nice for the quality of a hotel in Paris. Really confortable bed, clean and modern room (stayed in a superior room). Fancy glass separate the bathroom from the room, it turns translucent by pushing a botton. All rooms have a sofá that it's a (small) single beneath the cover, great for kids. The inside pool is rare in the center of Paris, but the temperature of the water was a little bit cold. And the location is perfect to pick up the train to Disney, but also to visit the city center.
The breakfast it's ok but not fantastic, and they have a special room for families. We received the visit of an amazing balloons sculptor wile taking breakfast.
He was an specialist on the issue.
We loved the hotel.

2 Thank S0fiaPM
J-JBruyand, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon, responded to this review, 18 September 2014
Dear Guest,

My teams and I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay in our hotel.

I am glad to read you appreciated for breakfast our “Family Time” that provides, during week-end days and holidays, entertainments for children such as a magician. We are working constantly in order to give families the best welcome so they feel "like home".

Kind Regards,

England
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Has most of what you need for business. Good sized room, free wifi, good bathroom and comfy bed.
Was missing an iron and decent pillows to be great.

Service was better than expected and a nice range of foods for breakfast though being France the croissants/pastries were a little below par.

Great location close to the train station.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank nzd31155
J-JBruyand, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear Guest,
I thank you for taking the time to write about my hotel.
You are mentioning the absence of an iron in the room: the reception, on call, can provide an iron and ironing board at any time, Do not hesitate to ask for it..
Regarding the pillows, a second set is available in the cupboard and may suit you more as their comfort is different than the ones on the bed.
I hope to welcome you again at Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon.
Kind regards,
Jean-Jacques Bruyand, Manager
Edmonton
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed only one night so we didn't see it in the daylight but the Novotel appears to be either a very modern, or a recently renovated hotel. The hotel and our suite were both very modern, clean and attractive but the service was a little mediocre. The front desk staff spoke English very well, but it seems nobody else knew a word. Our $300 CDN/night room didn't have a corkscrew so I took our bottle of wine down to the front desk. They sent me to the lounge to get it opened but for some unexplainable reason he wouldn't open it for me and sent me back to the front desk. I know some French but he rattled something indiscernable off at high speed in French and pointed back to the front desk. They then sent me to the restaurant where the lady opened it for me but gave me some sort of lecture in French.
I don't expect everyone to speak English but they made no attempt to be accommodating to our linguistic differences, nor do I as a 55 year old, $300/night guest need a lecture over opening a bottle of wine when our room should have had a corkscrew.
A minor point but for information, our shower drain was plugged and the water spilled over onto the floor.
We only stayed one night so I can't say whether or not this is a normal stay at the Novotel but it wasn't overly impressive. I would certainly not hesitate to stay again but after this experience I wouldn't go out of my way to seek it out. On a good note it is literally right beside Gare de Lyon.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gerald T
Dear Guest,
I thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay in my hotel.
I regret the fact that you describe and please accept my sincere apologies.
I allowed myself to forward your comment to the relevant teams and corrective measures have been implemented.
I hope you will still consider my hotel for your next stay in Paris.
Jean-Jacques Bruyand, Manager
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Good service, and clean rooms. Typical Novotel standard. But our 4-1 room is very tight in space after opening the sofa bed. Hotel is very close to train station and food places. Good location. Will recommend to family when they r here in Paris. .

• Stayed March 2014