“Great Location, but breakfast service needs sorting out”

Mercure Paris Gare de Lyon TGV
Ranked #801 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Great Location, but breakfast service needs sorting out”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed at the hotel on a city break to Paris the hotel is in a convenient and central location, and our room with king size bed although a bit small was adequate for our needs. The housekeeping team did a great job and the room was cleaned early in the day, the towels, shower gels shampoo tea and coffee were replaced daily and the public areas were clean and well presented. My main criticism of the hotel was breakfast on the first morning of our visit (Monday) there was hardly anywhere to sit as the tables had not been cleared. We spent about half an hour having breakfast and during that time the six empty tables around were covered in dirty plates and no attempt was made to clear them during the whole time we were there. There seemed to be a total lack of anyone in overall charge of the staff in the breakfast area, no system in place, some of the cooked food was cold and there was no milk. I would also suggest that the management remove the coffee machines they were complicated to use and most of the guests were having problems with them. This resulted in guests giving up in shear frustration or the staff having to instruct guests on how to operate the coffee machines time which would have been better spent clearing tables and ensuring the cooked food was hot.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
P-LANGLOIS, Directeur général at Mercure Paris Gare de Lyon TGV, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you to give me your comments as it's important for us to improve the Quality of Service.
I am sorry that the Breakfast service wasn't as we used to deliver everyday, all the team has to be focus on the priority of welcome the guests in a perfect condition, I am sorry it wasn't the case at this time.
Hope to keep your confidence with Mercure as all the other amenities and services were appreciated.
Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Had to stay there on a business trip and was given a room on the 3rd floor on the side of the railway station. The room was so small that there was barely room to walk around. The prices for this hotel are astronomical (above 250€) for its value. The painting on the walls was flacky and the carpet was a little humid. Since the room was located right above the railway station I heard trains announcements all night long together with the obsessive jingle of SNCF. I agree that this hotel is very convenient if you have to catch a train at 6.00 AM, but in any other cases I would recommend finding a room in one of the neighbouring hotels which will offer you the same quality (definitely not worth 5 stars) for half of the price. I hope I don't have to go there again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the side of the railway station
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest
I thank you for your comments and I do aplogize that we didn't give you all the satisfaction you were expected.
The Housekeeper and her team will be very attentive regarding the delay between the carpet cleaning and the arrival of the guest as it was always humid when you check-in, I am sorry about it.
Hope to keep your confidence with Mercure Network
Kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The Mercure is within the Gare de Lyon railway station in the centre of Paris and so convenient for main line, RER (suburban) and metro rail travel. A hotel in such a location is inevitably expensive but the breakfasts, though good, are extortionately over-priced and the rooms really a little too small (and the bath is much too small - after one bath I showered for the rest of my stay). But the staff are friendly and helpful, everything works, and it's spotless.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for giving me your feed back after your stay as you mentionned the location is perfect to visit Paris.
Quality is a priority for us and to give you satisfaction at all time for an enjoyable stay.
Hope to see you again soon
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I booking from internet and pay already but when I check in she said I didn't pay !!! I showed document and expain for 1 hr., when I check out she said I didn't pay 1 night( I stay 5 night) I show sms from bank transaction she didn't listen and believe until I leaved from the hotel she charged me again !!!

• Stayed October 2013
P-LANGLOIS, Directeur général at Mercure Paris Gare de Lyon TGV, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Guest
First I do apologize for this incident and I will follow personally this file.
The Reception staff who made it is a new one and she will need to improve this type of case.
Thank you again for giving me all the details and hope to keep your confidence with Mercure hotels as this situation is exceptionnal.
Kind regards
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 4 October 2013

For Euro 280 per night (without tax) this is definitely not a 4 star hotel - it is more of a 2 star hotel. The rooms are extremely small. Not comfortable for two persons. The furniture is old and shabby. One is afraid to put their feet on the carpet because its so dirty and one is not sure what infections lurk down there. The first room we were assigned started leaking water from the ceiling and we were told there is no other room that night. We were provided another room the next night but it was much worse than the first. The breakfast is definitely not a 4 star hotel breakfast. The toast machine was not working. The scrambled eggs were just a mush of yellow water. Staff are relatively friendly.

Room Tip: No good rooms. All of them are very small.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
P-LANGLOIS, Directeur général at Mercure Paris Gare de Lyon TGV, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Guest
I thank you for taking time to give me your feed back and I do apologizze for the incidents as this is not the quality we use to deliver.
All our rates are including taxes ( city tax, VAT,.. ) as this period in Paris was very busy with exhibitions all the other dates you may find different promotions on Mercure website.
We made already the corrections regarding the technical problems and hope to keep your confidence with Mercure.
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Mercure is part of the Accor group. I prefer staying in these hotels for the affordability. The hotel is located quite close to the metro station and provides an easily accessible to all the touristic places of paris. The rooms are quite nice and are provided with a tea / coffee machines.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
P-LANGLOIS, Directeur général at Mercure Paris Gare de Lyon TGV, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Dear Guest
First I would like to thank you for your confidence with Accor Hotels and for staying at Mercure Gare de Lyon during your stay in Paris.
The key point is the location to visit Paris and very easy for all transportations to South of France or to access the main monuments.
We are pleased to see you enjoyed the amenities and services in your bedroom and hope to meet you again very soon in one of our Mercure Hotels.