“I am not a “FAN””

Ranked #18 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Doha, Qatar
“I am not a “FAN””
Reviewed 4 July 2011

To make a short story short, at four In the morning I called the reception cause the AC wasn’t working, they sent the technician who couldn’t do anything. Instead of offering me another room immediately, they offered to send me a fan! When I got upset they asked me to move my stuff to another room AT 4 AM! When I got very upset they finally sent me to another room to have my sleep. They were all apologetic next morning, but forgot to send me an official apology like any other well established establishment would do!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
13 Thank aliabdulla77
royalmonceau, Director of sales & marketing at Le Royal Monceau-Raffles Paris, responded to this review, 11 July 2011
First of all, we would like to thank you for taking your time to share your opinion. We are always pleased to hear from our guests whether their comments are positive or negative.

During your stay, weather in Paris was really hot and sultry. Unfortunately, following a technical issue, the A/C went down in the whole building.
It was extremely unexpected for all of us, and everything has been made to fix it as soon as possible.
Please rest assured we are carefully looking into each and every point to ensure that this doesn’t happen again.

I do hope that you will choose Le Royal Monceau - Raffles Paris on your next visit, as well. Please do contact me directly and I will personally oversee your stay.
Jean-Marie Le Gall Director of sales & maketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, UK
Reviewed 24 June 2011

report on the royal monceau, paris
booked on my way to paris an executive room (highest room level)
nice quick and easy booking on the phone.
said i was arriving at 12 (ie 3h later). arrived at 12 h30, nice reception contact, but room only available at 2 pm (ok it's typical for hotels of that standing)
reception showed me the bar but left me there on my own to find a seat. the usual way of proceeding is to bring to a table, call a waiter and offer a coffee so the guest is taken care of by bar staff and not left stranded.
after watching half a dozen guys moving around pretending to be busy  i managed to grab somebody asking for an espresso macchiato (stressing macchiato).
15min later he brought me a very beautiful cup of espresso. seems the macchiato got left out of the equation. by the way there must have been 15 patrons at the time (seating capacity is around 60)
i don't correct this as i don't want to have to wait another 15min.
crowd is the usual blend of high net worth individuals, small business meetings, corsican mafia, etc...
bar is pretty soulless, bits and pieces of art (books, photos, small objects,...)
no bar per se (ie where you can chat with a barman) as all preparation is done behind a wall of bottles and glasses. cute but they have to get a ladder to reach the good spirits. pretty comical.
had to rush to an appointment and as i asked to put my ipad back into my bag as they were keeping it they brought me to the bagage room at the back to do so.
i don't mind as it's quicker but standing means you don't show the ropes. somebody should have brought it back to me and taken care of that.
went back to the hotel around 5 h30
brought me to my room. on the first floor (not great but they had told me they were pretty full with the le bourget air show), right next to the fitness center (that full?)
introduced to the usual systems blabla.
first impression. it's colorful, there's design furniture but it's crammed. toilet is near the entrance. they stuck the bed with the mini sofa and basicaly there's minimal space to navigate around the bed. miniscule bedside tables (i mean the phone was hiding the light switches).
bag is on its stool but space for clothes is minimal (only half dozen hangers and space only for that many)
i know i said i was staying alone but that is really bad. big mirrors on both walls with integrated tvs (i do not watch tv so no real use unfortunately).
bathroom is very large with mirrors all over the place, fancy bathtub. design appliances. they forgot about the fact design appliances are not functional.
the unit where the towels are out of the shower is actually a radiator (yes that means you burn your hands the first time you grab it getting out of the shower)
and i couldn't find the switch for the drain in the sink (and i really looked as i'm an engineer and couldn't figure out where the designer would hide it). its always nice to find that out after you brush your teeth.
shower is great but shower gel and shampoo are really bland. cubic push down  bottles of unmarked bland product.
i came back at 12h30 and went to the bar to grab a nightcap. same waiters too fast paced to check on patrons, took 10min for somebody to show up, another 10 to ask for my drink and more than 15 to make a whisky sour. nice drink but there were few patrons so it shouldn't take that long.
( i was texting my wife so i had an exact timing)
to give an example an american staying with his wife arrived at the bar at 1h10 and was told the bar was closing at 1h30. they brought them menus at 1h20, took the order at 1h30. the guy asked for a nice single malt whisky. nobody in the staff had any clue. they showed him in the end the most expensive ("very nice single malt, a bit oakey" was the commentary they gave). i left at 1h50 and don't remember seeing a glass in his hand.
and by the way the first time i went out pack in hand for a smoke the staff intercepted me and asked me if i was leaving (as in you forgot your bill). not very heartening.
i went the next morning for breakfast with a friend who works nearby (i had booked a table the night before but not many people where there at 9h30.
was very nicely welcomed and brought to a table, offered a glass of a fresh pressed juice of our choice and some very nice coffee.
then we ordered continental breakfast with some boiled eggs on the side.
eggs arrived first, perfectely cooked and presented they were delicious.
but then again people were "busy" wisking around and after some time we managed to grab somebody to get us the bread and fruit salad (and again it took a while). his french was pretty limited. he asked us if we wanted more coffee and he had such a hard time understanding "cafe au lait" that we ended up asking for "the SAME please". i hate raising my voice but the guys were really useless. my friend was also really annoyed (and we are very laid back people so it takes a lot to get us to that level of annoyance)
i returned to my room at 11 to find out that somebody had come and took the dirty towels and half the bed sheets and duvet cover.
i was booked for one night only they have a log of this kind of stuff and they should know not to clean before check out.
also i've never encountered a room half done before. either people are in there cleaning it or they are not doing it.
i decided to leave right there as it felt of being told to go.
in the end it was a pretty bad experience, completely sub standard, and also it's a very soulless hotel which made the experience a complete flop (i'm a contemporary art collector and was expecting a lot as it's the signature of the hotel).
i have stayed in most 5 star hotels in paris and i know what one should expect for that level of price.

• Stayed June 2011
42 Thank tbretagn
royalmonceau, L'équipe at Le Royal Monceau-Raffles Paris, responded to this review, 1 July 2011
Dear Mr.

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking your time to share your opinion. We are always happy to hear from our guests whether their comments are positive or negative.

We are pleased to read that you have had high expectations of le Royal Monceau - Raffles Paris and totally understand your disappointment after your stay.

We realized that we may have, in a way, deceived you and would like to ensure you that your valuable feedback will strongly contribute in improving our service.
Please, be sure that we will do our best to make your next stay with us most enjoyable.

Regards,
The Royal Monceau team.
Campinas, SP
Reviewed 7 March 2011

It is all about luxury from check-in to rooms furniture and restaurant. The service was great. We had a wonderful and magic experience at this genuine palace.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 December 2010

The Raffles Royal Monceau is a beautiful chic hotel very close to the Arch de Triomphe. The rooms are incredible, including the huge mirrors that turn into televisons and the wonderful bathrooms. The service is perfect and very friendly. I would not hesitate to return to this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends