“Exceptional - timeless, glamorous cinematic Paris its best.”

Le Royal Monceau-Raffles Paris
Ranked #27 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Exceptional - timeless, glamorous cinematic Paris its best.”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed 2 nights at Le Royal Monceau and found it exceptional in pretty much every way

The design is Philippe Starck at his magisterial best - we marveled at the level of attention to detail lavished on every aspect of our room - wholly contemporary and innovative, whilst at the same time part of seemingly familiar, timeless, glamorous cinematic Paris .

A great spa, faultless, unpretentious service and probably the best hotel breakfast in the planet - I have given 4 stars for value only because this could never be considered a "value" hotel - though what price (near) perfection?

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
royalmonceau, Directeur général at Le Royal Monceau-Raffles Paris, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Madam, Dear Sir ,

What an exceptional review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of Le Royal Monceau on TripAdvisor. Reading your kind words really has put a smile on our face.

We are delighted to hear that you would describe us as having reached ‘near perfection’; we do strive to offer the absolute best experience possible to our guests.

It is a pleasure to read that you found the design magisterial and contemporary; Starck has done an incredible job with his exciting and intricate details.

We are so glad that you also had the opportunity to experience our fantastic facilities during your stay such as the spa and of course the delicious breakfast. I will personally relay your compliments to the whole team here particularly the chefs of La Cuisine and the spa staff.

Merci beaucoup again for posting such a gleaming review, we look forward to welcoming you back to your Parisian home, Le Royal Monceau, very soon.

Ömer Acar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
NYC
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The Royal Monceau has a "Palace" rating-- That means it is one of the best hotels Paris has to offer. The problem is, that is a really hard expectation to meet! If I could give the hotel a 4 and 3/4 star rating, I would. I think it is a really great hotel, but there are some things it could improve. I'll start with the positives though:

(1) The staff is very nice and generally proficient in English (except for the women's spa locker room attendant-- She could not understand a word of English and didn't understand my French either... all I was trying to do was get directed towards the exit and I ended up getting sent the wrong way!);
(2) The rooms are lovely. We stayed in a studio room, which was not very large (but was large by Paris standards). The bathroom was very spacious. It had a great soaking tub, with separate shower. It also had his and her sinks;
(3) The room technology was pretty neat. Instead of those annoying "do not disturb" door hangs, they have a button system. If you press the "do not disturb" button, the light under your room number turns red which signals that you should not be disturbed. The buttons also turned the lights on/off in the room (either in day mode, ambiance mode (only some lights on) or off completely). The tv is also situated behind a mirror in the bedroom, which was pretty neat;
(3) The cleaning services in the room were great. The maids were great at replacing towels and tiding up the room;
(4) The rooms are air conditioned and the hotel has elevators (2 things that shouldn't be taken for granted in Paris);
(5) When you call for a wake-up call, you are offered a complementary drink with your call. Basically, they call you to wake you up and a few moments later, a free drink (for me, a cappuccino) arrives at your door;
(6) We used the concierge a lot. While we did have some issues (see below), they were generally very nice to deal with; and
(7) The room was super quiet.

Here are the negatives:
(1) The mattress was weirdly lumpy. It was a comfortable bed, unless you landed on a lump. I couldn't figure out what exactly the mattress was made out of;
(2) While having a drink with your wake-up call is great, at least two times the drink came before the wake-up call, which was annoying. Basically, you got woken up to someone repeatedly knocking on your door. We learned that the key is to tell the wake-up call person to have the drinks delivered 15 minutes after the wake-up call;
(3) The spa pool is small and kids are allowed in the pool. We only visited the pool once. There were 2, VERY loud children playing in the pool and hot tub. Everyone who was trying to relax was generally irritated. We only stayed at the pool for 20 minutes because of this;
(4) The room literature said there was a media panel in the room (that, we assume, we could connect our iPad to to watch movies on the TV). We couldn't find a media panel. I don't think our room had one (we really searched for it!);
(5) The soap provided by the hotel really drys out your skin. Also, the body wash and body lotion are very perfumey;
(5) I had several issues with the concierges. The biggest issue was that the first full day we were there, I took a piece of paper and wrote down three restaurants I wanted to try before leaving Paris (I was in Paris for 10 days). The concierge said no problem, he would call the restaurants for us and make the reservations and leave a note in our room when he made all of the reservations. The next day, we hadn't heard back from the concierge, but thought maybe he was still trying to get us into certain restaurants. When we didn't hear back the second day, we went back to the concierge station. The person we gave our list to wasn't there and the other concierges didn't know what we were talking about. The reservations were never made and the list was no where to be found. I was irritated. I couldn't remember the name of all 3 places, but gave them the name of 2 restaurants and told them we were free any day but Tuesday night. They made the reservation for one of the restaurants for Tuesday night. I was very annoyed. When I found this out (on Saturday), I asked them to change it to lunch that day (or dinner any other day) if possible. The concierge claimed they weren't able to get a hold of the restaurant until Monday afternoon, and the restaurant wasn't open for lunch (they didn't try to make dinner reservations for another night). I was very disappointed I wasn't able to try out this restaurant.
The concierge also gave us directions to Versailles, but didn't realize that the RER C wasn't running on the weekends in October (we found this out at the metro station). We were able to figure out an alternative route to Versailles and we let the concierge know when we got back that they should direct hotel guests to the alternate route. I was surprised the concierge didn't know about this track work. They also gave us tickets to Versailles so we didn't have to wait on the ticket lines. They charged us 30 Euros per person for this ticket. If we bought them at Versailles, they would have been 18 Euros per person. I wish they would have told us how much they marked them up. I also wish they would have told us that we would still have to wait online to get into the gardens because we visited during the musical gardens show and there is an extra charge for that.
We thought, in general, the concierge wasn't good at communicating things back to us. Reservations were made for restaurants and no one told us until we went to the front desk to inquire about the status of our reservations.
Also, the concierges weren't good at communicating the status of our requests to each other. We would stop by the desk to ask the status of reservations we requested and often the concierge didn't know what we were talking about (I guess the concierge we spoke to the prior day didn't record our request in their system).
That being said, we relied on the concierge A LOT. More so than at any other hotel and they were helpful (despite the issues we had). Maybe we just tried to rely on them a little too much.

Overall, the Royal Monceau is a great hotel and I would stay there again without hesitation. We really enjoyed our time there and while the hotel can improve on certain things, overall, it is an amazing place to spend a vacation.

1 Thank Trance1861
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such a complete review of your stay with us. We take the feedback of our guests very seriously and thus we are grateful that you have been so detailed in your review.

It is a pleasure to read that you found our staff lovely and that you were impressed by the rooms and hotel facilities. The little details such as the automatic lights really can make a big difference!

We wish to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused to you. We highly value your feedback and would be grateful if you could grant us a few minutes of your precious time. We would like to call you at a convenient time to follow-up on your remarks.

We apologize again and do sincerely hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Le Royal Monceau, Raffles Paris in the near future.

Bucharest
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Perfect for romantic city break, spent four nights there. Very nice and supportive front office manager. Elegant restaurants, very good meals and sensational breakfast. Very nice location and nice rooms.

1 Thank CDC563
royalmonceau, Directeur général at Le Royal Monceau-Raffles Paris, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Merci Beaucoup as the French would say !
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a glowing review of your stay with us on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed a romantic city break staying at Le Royal Monceau and were impressed by all our facilities, particularly the spectacular restaurants. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the whole team working in the kitchens and restaurants.

It is great to hear that you were also happy with your room and were well looked after by our dedicated team here. It really does make our day to read reviews so full of praise!

We look forward to welcoming you back to your Parisian home, Le Royal Monceau Raffles Paris, very soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Easily accessible by the metro with the arc de Triomphe only a couple minutes walk away, Le Royal Monceau-Raffles Paris feels like like connection between old world luxury with modern technology and savoir vivre. The interior design of the hotel is first class. Even if I wasn't staying in the hotel, I would visit the hotel bar just to catch a glimpse of the beauty in the hotel. We stayed in one of the studio rooms for 3 days and for 2 people it was a perfect choice for that amount of time. The staff was so attentive and courteous. When I return to Paris, I will choose to stay at Le Royal Monceau-Raffles again and again.
I do wish I knew of the exhibition at the hotel while I was there--I wish I knew a bit more about that from the hotel.

Dear Sir/Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a fabulous review of your stay with us on TripAdvisor.

It is so pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay that much and would choose Le Royal Monceau again and again. Your description of the hotel’s design is just perfect; Philip Stark has done a wonderful job in combining traditional luxury with modern art and decor!

We are delighted to hear that you found our staff both attentive and courteous, I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the whole team here.

Thank you also for your feedback on the information provided about the exhibition, the views of our guests are invaluable to us. I will take on board all your comments and make sure more information is provided to guests concerning the exhibition in the hotel’s galerie d'art.

Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My daughter took me to Paris for my 70+ birthday and we stayed at this hotel. It was amazing! Nothing was ever too much for any of the staff. So peaceful to sit and have a drink at the end of the day and our rooms were brilliant. Top out of everything has to be the hidden TV. I thought that nothing could beat the wonderful rooms we had, the bathrooms, the dressing rooms, but imagine my amazement when, after a tiring day of sightseeing on my birthday, there was a knock on my door and on opening it found a staff member standing there, wishing me a happy birthday on behalf of the hotel and holding a wonderful birthday cake for me. My stay at this hotel will always be one of my happiest memories.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Madam,

Greetings from the City of Lights !

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a wonderful review of your stay with us on TripAdvisor.

To hear that we were able to make your birthday in Paris even more special is all we can wish for! We are delighted to read that you were well looked after by our dedicated team and that the birthday wishes and cake was such a good surprise! It was our absolute pleasure.

NYC
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Just returned from Paris. We stayed at the lovely and elegant Le Royal Monceau just a few blocks from the Arc de Triomphe. The room was so elegant and well appointed. I hate to admit that the bathrooms are the highlight with the super techno toilets and mirrored tiles. But the rest of the room was also beautiful. The gym is an actual gym with good treadmills, ellipticals and weights, rather than the typical broken bike in a corner you often get at even nice hotels. And the pool is a real pool - I believe it is the longest swimming pool in Paris. Did not try the spa or cinema - wish we'd had time.

Also, must mention the pastries. In a city known for its pastries, the hotel's pastry chef Pierre Hermé takes the cake -- literally. I had never given macaroons much thought before the sampling left in our room but we were treated to some chocolate, raspberry and salted caramel macaroons. There is no describing the combination of taste and texture. It's worth a trip to Paris just for one bite of these cookies!

By the way - I would have never known about this hotel if it wasn't for the terrific travel agent we used called First In Service in New York City. They seem to know all the gems in terms of where to stay, what to see and where to eat. We got advice about the stuff you "must see" but also about the things only insiders can tell you. The hotel was their pick and it was perfection! Recommend both and of course recommend Paris.

Room Tip: Did not see the other rooms but we had a suite which was lovely.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
royalmonceau, Directeur général at Le Royal Monceau-Raffles Paris, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear Liz,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a glowing review of your stay with us on TripAdvisor!

There is nothing better than hearing that guests leave with only magical memories of their time at Le Royal Monceau. It is great to read that you enjoyed your suite and were able to experience some of our wonderful facilities- the pool is indeed the longest in Paris.

It is a pleasure to hear also of how much you liked Pierre Herme’s macaroons; his whole selection is quite extraordinary!

Thank you again for your kind words, we will be sure to pass them on to the whole team here.

We look forward to welcoming you back your Parisian home, Le Royal Monceau Raffles Paris, very soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a weekend in September. It was truly amazing and I loved it! The staff were very professional, kind and discreet.
The room was absolutely huge for a city hotel, and little things like the dressing room made it more special.
We had breakfast every morning of our stay and although a bit pricey - well worth the indulgence.
Will definitely return and would highly recommend, as truly everything was impecable! I cannot find fault!
My husband booked us a massage in the spa - the best ever! So relaxing and we even chilled out afterwards by the pool. There are a number of drinks and snacks you can help yourselves to.
My husband was even unwell on the last day and the hotel staff let him check out slightly later - I mean who does that these days!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a warm review of your stay with us on TripAdvisor. There is nothing we enjoy hearing more than that a guest has had a truly wonderful experience at Le Royal Monceau!

It is a delight to read that you were pleasantly surprised by the size of your room and found out staff both kind and discreet. We always aim to go above and beyond to make our guest’s stay extra special!

We are so pleased that you had the chance to enjoy many of our facilities during your stay; especially the spa and pool- the longest in Paris! The fact that you could not find fault with us is a real compliment and I will personally pass on all your kind words to the team here; from those in the spa to those who assisted you at reception.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to your Parisian home, Le Royal Monceau, soon.