“Very dissapointed.”

Ranked #18 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Very dissapointed.”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed here over the weekend of our wedding anniversary 19/20 October 2013. We have previously stayed at Raffles Singapore twice and to be honest we expected similar service here but sadly did not recieve it.
We arrived at lunch time and our room was not ready, we were advised to return after 2pm when it would be, we returned at 3.15 and it was still not ready.
Through out our stay staff spoke to us in French repeatedly they did not know we were English, in Raffles Singapore they knew our names.
In all the restaurants we had issues, the Italian with the wine waiter and other staff who just seemed too pushy with add ons like truffles before we even decided on our choices.of food. We were tired so gave them the benefit of doubt. The French was late opening on Sunday and no one could tell us when it would open as they had a team meeeting going on, we were annoyed as we had an early departure the following day.
At breakfast the waiter forgot our drinks order and we had to call him over and re order. At dinner in the French they sat us at the coldest table by the window so we asked to be moved, there was no one else in at the time!! Several couples after us were seated there and also asked to be moved too! The wine waiter here too thought my wine choice, of a Euro 125 bottle of Chablis, too young for my fish.
We have booked Raffles Praslin next May for a week and are reconsidering if we should go.

The room we had in France was spotless and the pool area very good, restaurants aside the hotel was fine but not a patch on Raffles Singapore. It might have helped if the menus and wine lists had been placed in rooms as they were quite complicated to find your way through, especially when tired and pressured.

8 Thank john h
royalmonceau, Directeur général at Le Royal Monceau-Raffles Paris, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Sir,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all feedback from our guests and are grateful that you have provided us with a full review of you experience.

We are pleased to hear that you were happy with your room and had the chance to enjoy the spa also during your weekend at Le Royal Monceau.

On behalf of the whole team here I would like to express our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused to you, particularly on such a special occasion as your wedding anniversary. We would be grateful if you could grant us a few minutes of your precious time. We would like to call you at a convenient time to follow-up on your remarks and have more details.

Tel: +33 (0)1 42 99 88 00
e.mail: general.manager@raffles.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Firstly, the hotel rooms are amazing. We stayed in the Studio room and the bathroom completely blows you away! Clarins toiletries also very nice. We checked out early but left our baggage with the Hotel as we had a late flight - when we returned later in evening was informed by the Front Desk that they would be charging 45 EUR to my credit card as a mini bar charge. This was a real surprise as we had not used the mini bar at all ...anyhow the girl at the Front Desk agreed to delete the charge but it still left a sour end to our trip. To our dismay we later receive a letter from the Hotel stating they had charged 45 EUR to my credit card!!!! After a phone call to the Hotel they agreed to rectify this but surely this should not have happened in the first place!! Could have been handled much better....

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

We are delighted to read that you were blown away by the room and enjoyed all the amenities.

Concerning your remark on the mini bar late charge, I wish to extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. Please be assured that I have immediately reviewed this point with the team concerned and necessary action has been taken.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Le Royal Monceau Raffles Paris, very soon.

Leamington Spa
Reviewed 23 October 2013

When a hotel is 5* you expect the best and this is what you get at le Royal Monceau!
The staff are fantastic and the facilities are beyond anything I've seen in any other hotel!

We spent 3 nights here and just found it absolutely luxurious...the spa is a haven and the home cinema is such a rare treat!!

Just a final quick note about the food- if you are lucky enough to stay here DO have the brunch,it is wonderful and worth every penny!

Thank you everyone at the hotel who made our stay the best ever, we will be back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
royalmonceau, Directeur général at Le Royal Monceau-Raffles Paris, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to post a great review of your time spent in the City of Lights.

Nothing gives us greater pleasure than hearing that a guest has been wowed by Le Royal Monceau and enjoyed all the facilities we have here. The spa My Blend By Clarins is certainly wonderful! We are proud to have just taken top spot in Forbes's Hot List for Paris Spas.

We are delighted to read that you also had the time to experience our weekend brunch. I will personally pass on your warm comments to the team here who will be pleased to hear such positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your Parisian home, Le Royal Monceau Raffles Paris, very soon.

Sausalito, California
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I knew this was a fabulous hotel but I didn't want to get my hopes up too much to avoid disappointment. Lucky for me, I wasn't disappointed at all! This hotel actually exceeded all expectations despite what they charge for a room. It really was the little things at this hotel which I just loved.

As soon as we pulled up, we were greeted by doormen in cute top hats. One point- I'm an easy sell sometimes! We checked in but do be aware that they put a hefty hold on your card for incidentals. This most likely isn't a problem for the clientele they attract but for me, I use one card when traveling due to no fees so definitely want to make sure you have room for the hold and shopping at the LV flagship store which is a 10 minute walk away :-)

After check in, they show you around the magnificent hotel. It is GLORIOUS! Not that I would expect anything less at a Philippe Starck designed hotel. But everything really is beautiful and the hotel smells devine (the little things for me). There are 3 large elevators (rare in Paris) so we never had to wait.

We had the studio room which was perfect size for us. Small by any other hotel standards but decent sized for Paris. There is a small table to sit at with big comfy chairs and a desk behind the bed. Loved the mirrors everywhere and the TV behind the mirror. Great use of space. I especially loved the satin throw on the bed (another little thing). The closet was another example of great use of space. The bathroom was super spacious with a huge tub and separate standing shower. 2 separate sinks each with it's own mirror, shelf underneath, and small open trash bin under the shelf. Again, the small well thought out details like this. Sure, they could have one trash can but when getting ready at the sink, it is so nice to have a garbage right there. I know you're thinking why is she so enthralled with the trash bin but after coming from the Westin Vendome where the bathroom garbage was a super short bin with a lid that you had to bend over to open with your hands to throw something away, you really appreciate a bin like this!

Internet was perfect and they brought us up an extra adaptor when we realized one of the 3 prong outlets wasn't working. They also brought us a decadent chocolate mousse cake-thingy with truffles to welcome us and macarons the next day. As if I wasn't already sold on this place. Robe was nice, slippers were up there with my faves. Loved the turn down service- they lie all of your pillows flat, slippers next to the bed, and bottles of water on the bedside table.

Location is perfect! 5 min walk from the Arc de Triomphe, the Champs or Rue de Faubourg. The Charles de Gaulle station is also a 5 min walk, Eiffel Tower is 2 stops away or a 25 min beautiful walk. L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon is also a 10 min walk away and totally worth the money.

We didn't get a chance to try any of the hotel restaurants but the bar was fun and always lively. Service can be a little slow there but it's so energetic, you don't really notice. Also, didn't get a chance to try to gym, pool or spa. I never used the concierge as I prefer to book things in advance myself so cannot comment on them either.

I absolutely cannot wait to stay at this hotel again and hopefully for a longer stay next time! The one downside is it's hard to leave your room sometimes!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
royalmonceau, Directeur général at Le Royal Monceau-Raffles Paris, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a complete and glowing review of your stay with us on TripAdvisor. Feedback from our guests is highly valuable to us and thus your comments are much appreciated.

We are so glad that all your expectations for the hotel were fulfilled when you arrived and that you enjoyed your stay at Le Royal Monceau. It is such a delight to read that you appreciated all the little details designed by Starck, they really do make a difference!

What great news that you are already planning your return visit, we look forward to welcoming you back to your Parisian home, Le Royal Monceau Raffles Paris, very soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed 2 nights at Le Royal Monceau and found it exceptional in pretty much every way

The design is Philippe Starck at his magisterial best - we marveled at the level of attention to detail lavished on every aspect of our room - wholly contemporary and innovative, whilst at the same time part of seemingly familiar, timeless, glamorous cinematic Paris .

A great spa, faultless, unpretentious service and probably the best hotel breakfast in the planet - I have given 4 stars for value only because this could never be considered a "value" hotel - though what price (near) perfection?

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
royalmonceau, Directeur général at Le Royal Monceau-Raffles Paris, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Madam, Dear Sir ,

What an exceptional review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of Le Royal Monceau on TripAdvisor. Reading your kind words really has put a smile on our face.

We are delighted to hear that you would describe us as having reached ‘near perfection’; we do strive to offer the absolute best experience possible to our guests.

It is a pleasure to read that you found the design magisterial and contemporary; Starck has done an incredible job with his exciting and intricate details.

We are so glad that you also had the opportunity to experience our fantastic facilities during your stay such as the spa and of course the delicious breakfast. I will personally relay your compliments to the whole team here particularly the chefs of La Cuisine and the spa staff.

Merci beaucoup again for posting such a gleaming review, we look forward to welcoming you back to your Parisian home, Le Royal Monceau, very soon.

NYC
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The Royal Monceau has a "Palace" rating-- That means it is one of the best hotels Paris has to offer. The problem is, that is a really hard expectation to meet! If I could give the hotel a 4 and 3/4 star rating, I would. I think it is a really great hotel, but there are some things it could improve. I'll start with the positives though:

(1) The staff is very nice and generally proficient in English (except for the women's spa locker room attendant-- She could not understand a word of English and didn't understand my French either... all I was trying to do was get directed towards the exit and I ended up getting sent the wrong way!);
(2) The rooms are lovely. We stayed in a studio room, which was not very large (but was large by Paris standards). The bathroom was very spacious. It had a great soaking tub, with separate shower. It also had his and her sinks;
(3) The room technology was pretty neat. Instead of those annoying "do not disturb" door hangs, they have a button system. If you press the "do not disturb" button, the light under your room number turns red which signals that you should not be disturbed. The buttons also turned the lights on/off in the room (either in day mode, ambiance mode (only some lights on) or off completely). The tv is also situated behind a mirror in the bedroom, which was pretty neat;
(3) The cleaning services in the room were great. The maids were great at replacing towels and tiding up the room;
(4) The rooms are air conditioned and the hotel has elevators (2 things that shouldn't be taken for granted in Paris);
(5) When you call for a wake-up call, you are offered a complementary drink with your call. Basically, they call you to wake you up and a few moments later, a free drink (for me, a cappuccino) arrives at your door;
(6) We used the concierge a lot. While we did have some issues (see below), they were generally very nice to deal with; and
(7) The room was super quiet.

Here are the negatives:
(1) The mattress was weirdly lumpy. It was a comfortable bed, unless you landed on a lump. I couldn't figure out what exactly the mattress was made out of;
(2) While having a drink with your wake-up call is great, at least two times the drink came before the wake-up call, which was annoying. Basically, you got woken up to someone repeatedly knocking on your door. We learned that the key is to tell the wake-up call person to have the drinks delivered 15 minutes after the wake-up call;
(3) The spa pool is small and kids are allowed in the pool. We only visited the pool once. There were 2, VERY loud children playing in the pool and hot tub. Everyone who was trying to relax was generally irritated. We only stayed at the pool for 20 minutes because of this;
(4) The room literature said there was a media panel in the room (that, we assume, we could connect our iPad to to watch movies on the TV). We couldn't find a media panel. I don't think our room had one (we really searched for it!);
(5) The soap provided by the hotel really drys out your skin. Also, the body wash and body lotion are very perfumey;
(5) I had several issues with the concierges. The biggest issue was that the first full day we were there, I took a piece of paper and wrote down three restaurants I wanted to try before leaving Paris (I was in Paris for 10 days). The concierge said no problem, he would call the restaurants for us and make the reservations and leave a note in our room when he made all of the reservations. The next day, we hadn't heard back from the concierge, but thought maybe he was still trying to get us into certain restaurants. When we didn't hear back the second day, we went back to the concierge station. The person we gave our list to wasn't there and the other concierges didn't know what we were talking about. The reservations were never made and the list was no where to be found. I was irritated. I couldn't remember the name of all 3 places, but gave them the name of 2 restaurants and told them we were free any day but Tuesday night. They made the reservation for one of the restaurants for Tuesday night. I was very annoyed. When I found this out (on Saturday), I asked them to change it to lunch that day (or dinner any other day) if possible. The concierge claimed they weren't able to get a hold of the restaurant until Monday afternoon, and the restaurant wasn't open for lunch (they didn't try to make dinner reservations for another night). I was very disappointed I wasn't able to try out this restaurant.
The concierge also gave us directions to Versailles, but didn't realize that the RER C wasn't running on the weekends in October (we found this out at the metro station). We were able to figure out an alternative route to Versailles and we let the concierge know when we got back that they should direct hotel guests to the alternate route. I was surprised the concierge didn't know about this track work. They also gave us tickets to Versailles so we didn't have to wait on the ticket lines. They charged us 30 Euros per person for this ticket. If we bought them at Versailles, they would have been 18 Euros per person. I wish they would have told us how much they marked them up. I also wish they would have told us that we would still have to wait online to get into the gardens because we visited during the musical gardens show and there is an extra charge for that.
We thought, in general, the concierge wasn't good at communicating things back to us. Reservations were made for restaurants and no one told us until we went to the front desk to inquire about the status of our reservations.
Also, the concierges weren't good at communicating the status of our requests to each other. We would stop by the desk to ask the status of reservations we requested and often the concierge didn't know what we were talking about (I guess the concierge we spoke to the prior day didn't record our request in their system).
That being said, we relied on the concierge A LOT. More so than at any other hotel and they were helpful (despite the issues we had). Maybe we just tried to rely on them a little too much.

Overall, the Royal Monceau is a great hotel and I would stay there again without hesitation. We really enjoyed our time there and while the hotel can improve on certain things, overall, it is an amazing place to spend a vacation.

1 Thank Trance1861
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such a complete review of your stay with us. We take the feedback of our guests very seriously and thus we are grateful that you have been so detailed in your review.

It is a pleasure to read that you found our staff lovely and that you were impressed by the rooms and hotel facilities. The little details such as the automatic lights really can make a big difference!

We wish to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused to you. We highly value your feedback and would be grateful if you could grant us a few minutes of your precious time. We would like to call you at a convenient time to follow-up on your remarks.

We apologize again and do sincerely hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Le Royal Monceau, Raffles Paris in the near future.

Bucharest
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Perfect for romantic city break, spent four nights there. Very nice and supportive front office manager. Elegant restaurants, very good meals and sensational breakfast. Very nice location and nice rooms.

1 Thank CDC563
royalmonceau, Directeur général at Le Royal Monceau-Raffles Paris, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Merci Beaucoup as the French would say !
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a glowing review of your stay with us on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed a romantic city break staying at Le Royal Monceau and were impressed by all our facilities, particularly the spectacular restaurants. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the whole team working in the kitchens and restaurants.

It is great to hear that you were also happy with your room and were well looked after by our dedicated team here. It really does make our day to read reviews so full of praise!