“Good location, helpful staff, but small rooms”

Hotel California Paris Champs Elysees
Ranked #543 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed here for five nights on a business trip and had a pretty good stay. It didn't eclipse my usual choice in the neighborhood, but it's not a bad back-up at all.

The pros:
- The locations is very convenient, just 2 blocks from the center of the Champs-Elysees.
- The room was very clean, with a nice bathroom that had both a bathtub and a shower stall.
- The hotel gym was nicer than many: stationery bikes, a rower, a treadmill, a couple of weight machines and some free weights.
- The staff was very helpful and took care of requests promptly.

The cons:
- The in-room wi-fi was very unpredictable and slow at the best of times. After calling the technician twice, I learned how to re-set it myself (unplug the large black plug behind the TV, wait 5 minutes, then plug it back in).
- The rooms were small, albeit nicely furnished.
- The hotel breakfast buffet was decent, but it wasn't anything special and at 25 euros it was wildly overpriced.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 509, which had twin beds and faced the interior courtyard (so it was quiet but had...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
CThiry, Directeur général at Hotel California Paris Champs Elysees, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear guest

Let us first thank you for having chosen our charming hotel for your parisian stay and for taking time to leave us your kind review.

We are more than delighted that you appreciated the convenient location and the very helpful staff that we are fortunate to have, and that our accomodations have been up to your expectations.

We nevertheless regret the malfunctions of our internet access and assure you that our IT and Network provider are doing all their best to improve our system.

Our daily mission is to provide the warmest hospitality and necessary support to our guest.

Your remark concerning our breakfast has been taken with our utmost attention and we will be glad to welcome you back and to let you discover our new Breakfast room, that will open next Saturday, August 23rd.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Hotels in Paris are expensive so was not sure what to expect. The staff was very friendly and helpful but was very dissatisfied with the room. Since staying in Paris for 5 days tried to unpack but there was no dresser in room, but cubbies in the closet were not enough for 2 people. The bathroom had a corner shower like a cruise ship along with a faucet that stuck out 6 inches from the wall giving you less room to move then a cruise ship. The shower doors didn't seal and a lake surrounded the shower after you use it. Need to use all the towels to wipe it up. An anchor just hanging out of the tile in the bathroom, a vanity with not much room to put much stuff on it when you are there for more than a few days. The alarm clock was completely off in time and we could not reset it. One of the helpful staff came up to reset and he could not but was able to open the safe that we also could not open when we got there. There was a chunk taken out of the old bar area when you walked in and wall damage around a door frame in the entry area of the rooms. The beds were so incredibly hard as well and had to sleep on top of comforter, but someone else may be fine with that. Saw a lot of nice rooms on the pictures of this hotel but we did not get any of those especially the bathroom. There was also no concierge and the staff may not know as much as you would expect. Changed hotels after one night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Randee K

Dear guest,

Thank you for having chosen the Hotel California Paris Champs-Elysées for your recent stay in Paris and for taking time to leave us your kind review.

We deeply regret that our accomodations have not been able to meet your expectations, and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back, to restore your confidence.

Our hotel is fortunate to have different types of rooms, and we are certain that one of them will correspond to your needs.

We thank you for your generous compliments that we proudly shared with our entire staff , and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed at Hotel California during my recent visit to Paris. It was perfect in every way, and exceeded my expectations. Great location, just minutes from Champs Elysees, nice lobby, very helpful staff who could speak English. We had requested a room with two beds. The room was surprisingly big and the bathroom was big and bright with upscale fixtures. A lot of nice marble everywhere. The beds were very comfortable, and I can honestly say that I slept there almost as good as I do at home. The hotel itself was squeaky clean and quiet. A nice bar in the lobby for a relaxing evening drink and chat with the friendly English speaking bartender. The hotel did look and was maintained like a 5 star hotel. We had the buffet breakfast there daily, and it was very nice. I could not have asked for more. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Arvpai
CThiry, Directeur général at Hotel California Paris Champs Elysees, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear guest

Thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel California Paris Champs-Elysées and for taking time to share your successful experience on Tripadvisor.

We are more than delighted that our accomodations and our different services have been up to your expectations.

We could not expect more generous compliments that have been proudly shared with our entire & very helpful staff.

We are glad that you enjoyed the great and convenient location that we are fortunate to have, and we would sincerely appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back in order to thrill you once again.

Wishing you a great Summer !

Best regards

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel is a cute, elegant hotel in the center of Paris. It is the perfect location for holiday with very close and easy access to the subways. It is just off the Champs Elysees with a supermarket just down the road which I found very useful in case you wanted to take some last minute french lollies home, We stayed there for the marathon and it couldn't be in a better location because the start line was virtually right there. The included breakfast which was Devine with beautiful french breads and a variety of foods. The staff were pleasant but were rather slack, but did the job. One thing that I was quite disappointed about was how they never played the song, "The Hotel California" I would have just added the icing on the cake to me!

Room Tip: Probably not best for very young kids as it isn't suited for that age group.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This hotel was a great experience! The location is perfect, just off Champs Elysees and when you enter Champs Elysees there is a very close Metro station and the Arch de Triumphe is in full glorious view! The hotel was very clean and all the staff were friendly and welcoming. Everyone spoke English, which made our stay so much easier. One reason I picked this hotel is we are a party of 3 and they offer 3 twin beds! The area is safe and I must add, if you choose this hotel, DO NOT pass up a trip or TWO to Dragon Elysees Restaurant, which you will pass on the right, walking to Champs Elysees. They have everything! Reasonable prices, great tasting food, atmosphere and friendly English speaking staff. The entrance is a glass floor with fish swimming underneath. We had the pleasure of sitting upstairs with the water and fish swimming beneath us! I reviewed sooo many restaurants on TripAdvisor and did not see this one, if it is not there I will add it! If it is, I do not know how I missed it and I will give it a top-notch review. AND I highly recommend the PUB you will pass on the left on the way to Champs Elysees. We were there several times watching the World Cup matches. The atmosphere was great and so was the food! Back to the hotel...the only negatives I want to pass on is Be Aware of a hold amount the hotel desk clerk wants from you before checking in! I was a party of 3 and they wanted to hold $400 Euros IN CASE I charged something to the room. IF it was in the fine print I did not see it! During our 5 night stay, I over heard two different parties shocked of the additional charge and trying to make arrangements. I had to call my bank in the USA for another credit card, as I had not set up prior that I was traveling abroad and would be using that card. Another thing to be aware of is, if you need an iron, ask for it in advance. They are not in every room and i waited over an hour and it did not arrive. I went to the front desk and were told they had none but they would have the cleaning staff iron a shirt for me, that was very gracious but the iron came as I was returning from the front desk. They allow guest to use the irons but do not have a good system to get them back. When we returned from our long day of tourist activities,even though our room was made up, they left the iron and ironing board in our room. I moved it to the hall and it disappeared. The breakfast buffet from the hotel is fantastic, in my opinion. It was offered free, as we booked directly with the hotel website. I would recommend this hotel, comfortable beds, nice shower head and a bidet! Isn't that all you really need?

Room Tip: Try and check in early, if the room is ready the hotel will let you!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Debra

Thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel California Paris Champs-Elysées and for taking time to share your great experience on Tripadvisor.

We are thrilled that you appreciated our perfect location, in the heart of the City of lights, and our friendly and welcoming staff that made your stay more comfortable.

Our daily mission is to provide the warmest hospitality and necessary support to our guests. Please be assured that your remarks concerning our check-in process and ironing service have been taken with our utmost consideration.

We would sincerely appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back and we wish you a great Summer !

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We were very happy with our choice to stay at Hotel California. The employees were all helpful, kind, pleasant, spoke at least some English, many great English. The door men were wonderful. They would run up to Champs Elysees (about a half block up) and get a taxi for us when we needed one, give us directions, patiently looked at maps with us, above and beyond, I thought. The room was on the plain side and I was at first disappointed. But remembering this is a very old property I decided it was elegantly plain and had been remodeled as best could be with what they had to work with. The room is small but not the smallest to be expected in Europe. There was nice crown molding throughout, a large window that opened out onto the center courtyard overlooking an atrium room. The bed was a good one, linens good, everything very well maintained. The location was great for a 1st timer in Paris. Champs Elysees is no big deal, kind of disappointing, but a place to visit and there are a few restaurants, mostly overpriced but adequate. There's everything from expensive to very inexpensive-type stores, absolutely nothing in this area were we interested to buy. Hotel is just a skip away from the Metro. Taxi rides to the major monuments and sights from this property is usually under 10 euro, as low as 6 euro, maybe as high as 15 for something a further distance. Back to the airport with cabby's bag tip he adds on (who knew they could do that? Really?), plus a tip was 55 euros, so reasonable. Bathroom in the room was very well redone, all tiled nicely, nice fixtures, hot water quickly, good water pressure and nice shower head wand, makeup mirror, adequate lighting, decent towels, hairdryer, nice toiletries. It was definitely a bathroom to please women. Room had another large mirror, a desk, a small table with a couple of chairs, minibar, smallish flatscreen TV. WiFi was not too good but kinda worked without paying sometimes. We didn't tough the instant coffee deal. Why? We had unlimited great coffee in the breakfast room. The breakfast room was nice, pleasant, light and airy, good selection on breakfast buffet, i.e. scrambled eggs (of some fashion, not like I'd make them, may French way?), bacon, sausage, broiled tomatoes that were yum and cooked mushrooms, also very yum, fresh fruit, selection of cheeses, breads, sweet rolls, lettuce, olives, etc. and baguettes, cereals, cold cuts, juices, coffee, tea, and more, all very well done and a good value as it was included with the room if you book on the hotel site, which also was cheaper, by the way, to book on the actual hotel site. The bar doubled as the night restaurant, kind of a sports bar, because it had tvs with sports... LOL.... tennis at the time we were there. Good place for a nice glass of champagne after a day out and about, expensive as about anywhere tourists congregate but they had a pretty full bar selection. Paid 19 euros for a double vodka... Crazy-makin.... Bartenders fun (except for one). There's always one.... There is a small market across the street in the same block that has cheap water. under 3 euros for a large bottle, compared to minibar 6 or 7 for a small bottle. Highly recommend checking out that little market. The chicken in the restaurant was really good, my cousin said. I ordered the fish, some variety they don't have in California, and it was on the raw side with some kind of glob of nut mixture on it. Not a pretty sight and not a good preparation, even if cooked right. I couldn't eat but around the edges because it was kinda raw. Without asking, but explaining it was uncooked, they did the right thing and took it off the bill. Cudos for them. One other night meal we split a burger and fries and it was very good. Ridiculously expensive (as all of Paris food and drink that we noted) but good. The lobby is typical of a smaller property in Europe. It's very pleasant with some seating, on the attractive side, no WOW as others have mentioned. But you don't see much WOW in Europe in hotel lobbies unless you really step it up price-wise, like double or triple the price. We felt safe (my cousin and I on a short trip for my birthday). We felt a warm and inviting atmosphere, comfortable and easy to come back to at the end of our days out and about, friendly faces and smiles... All that goes along way for me. Our last night we got room service (after our night tour) after 11 p.m., just hot water for tea and they found some little cookies to go along with AND he was sweet with a smile... Very Very NICE! Service here is superb!

Room Tip: maybe ask for a corner room. i saw in one that seemed larger than we had. 2nd floor (where we wer...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Karla

Let's first thank you for having the Hotel California Paris Champs-Elysées for your first stay in Paris and for taking time to leave such a kind review on Tripadvisor.

We are more than delighted that our accomodations (from our bathroom to our room) and our different services (from our breakfast service to our doormen service) have been able to meet your expectations.

We are glad that you enjoyed your parisian experience and we thank you for your generous compliments that we proudly shared with our helpful, kind and pleasant staff.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Don't expect to be wowed by the Hotel California Champs Elysees it is a standard large hotel, with clean, adequate, and safe rooms, but without memorable charm. The location is just off the famous Champs Elysees near the Arch de Triumphe and there is a close-by Metro station which makes exploring elsewhere in this wonderful city easy. The Chamnps Elysees area features large designer stores, banks and large corporate offices.

My location and hotel style preferences run more towards charming boutique hotels in the Latin Quarter, St. Germain de Pres, or Jardin de Luxembourg areas since they have more historical interest and lots of cute restaurants, shops, etc. Those locations are basically in the 6th arrondissement of Paris.

The front desk staff at Hotel California Champs Elysees were friendly and well spoken fluent in English and other languages, but failed to follow up on some minor requests. And the hotel's free WIFI was extremely poor, slow, and sometimes completely non-operative. The hotel seems to prefer to sell WIFI at 10 Euros +/- a day, which as everyone knows costs hotels minimally and should be offered free.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank No B
CThiry, Directeur général at Hotel California Paris Champs Elysees, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for having chosen the Hotel California Paris Champs-Elysées for your parisian stay and for taking time to leave us your kind review.

We deeply regret that our great location and our accomodations have not been up to your expectations.

We nevertheless thank you for your compliment concerning our staff kindness, we sincerely appreciate it.

Wishing you a beautiful summer !

Best regards