“Pleasant Stay”

Hotel Etoile Saint-Honore by HappyCulture
Ranked #342 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I stayed here for just over two weeks, with my family, over Christmas and new year (three rooms in all). After searching the internet and travel agencies for a hotel for a long time, I found that this one provided the best value for money with my priorities being close to public transport (Metro, RER and bus), free and fast WiFi, and complimentary breakfast. All of these services where fantastic. We ensured we booked very early in order to take advantage of the early bird special. The staff where really great and knowledgeable and would jump through hoops to try and help us. We even received a small Christmas gift in our rooms on Christmas eve! The location in perfect, surrounded by three metro stations, including the RER A line, and on a buss route. This helped cut down the cost of travel within the city by a lot.

We where offered really nice rooms high in the hotel with great views of the city and where able to check in early in the morning so we could get out and explore the city. Two of the three rooms are not small but not big either. Knowing that space is at a premium in Paris, this was expected and didn't bother us, we where not going to be in the hotel much anyway. The third room was really big and became the room all six of us gathered in for Christmas and New Year celebrations. The decor is really nice, clean and modern, the beds are very comfortable. the windows are very large and give a nice view of the city. I assume that the rooms we occupied where already renovated, I think I caught a glimpse of an unrenovated room which seemed to have quite an outdated look.

I really enjoyed the quaint elevators, they fit in with the old Paris look from the outside but are very modern. They are obviously very small (3 people at a squeeze) as the building far predates elevators, but they added to the atmosphere of such an old, historic city. We also enjoyed sitting in the lobby lounge after breakfast as a family.

All in all, the hotel made me feel well treated and was a place we enjoyed resting in. We even inadvertently began calling it home, with the added benefit that everything magically cleaned itself while we where eating breakfast!

Room Tip: Room higher in the hotel (7th and 6th floors) Corner Rooms (XX1, XX3, XX5, XX7) are the largest
1  Thank Shaun B
Marco C, Directeur général at Hotel Etoile Saint-Honore by HappyCulture, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Customer,

first and foremost we wish to thank you for the time you took for sharing your comments with us and wish to express our happines in learning how memorable your experience with us was.

Your comments represent the most valuable source of motivation for us in our daily effort for improvement.

Thank you again and hope to see you soon again back to your parisian home.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,110)

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Ten minutes from champs élysées and Arc de Triumph, bus line runs in front and just two blocks from bus 84 which will take you to the heart of Paris. Room was above average in size for our expectations and clean. Staff met every expectation. Nothing negative just a good safe clean hotel and not too Paris overly priced.

Dear Customer,

First and foremost we wish to thank you for the time you took for sharing your feedback with us!

we are proud to learn that your stay with us met your expectations and we deeply thank you for your preference to our property.

We look forward to the great pleasure of welcoming you back to our property in the very next future.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

disappointing
mini bar filled with one little bottle of sparkling water
no glass of champagne offered as announced etc etc
no fresh bread or danish pastry at breakfast
pour choice of charcuterie and cheese

Dear Customer,

thank you for the time you took to share your feedback.

We regret not to have met your expectations this time and took good note of your comments which will help us to improve our service and product in the future.

We really look forward to have the pleasure to welcoming you to our property for another occasion.

All the best,

Reviewed 25 December 2013

We tried the Etoile Saint Honore based on the very positive reviews on Trip Advisor, and the seamingly good value for money, but were disappointed. The hotel is currently being refurbished "on the cheap", the service does not live up to 4 stars and the decoration is not very inspiring.
We will certainly not return to the Etoile Saint Honore, there are many much better hotels in Paris!

Dear Guest,

first and foremost we wish to thank you for the time you took for sharing this comment.

We took good note of your comments and regret not to have met your expectations this time.

We hope to have the possibility to show you that we Worth your patronage.

Your sincerely,

Reviewed 5 December 2013

My first impression of the hotel and the room is that they were rather spacious for a hotel in Paris. The staff is helpful and friendly, rooms are clean, breakfast is great. The hotel is only 10 minutes away from the Champs Elysees and Arc de Triumph, 10 minutes away from 2 metro stations. Strongly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank H R
Marco C, Directeur général at Hotel Etoile Saint-Honore by HappyCulture, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Guest,

we wish to thank you for the time you took for sharing your comments and would like to express our happines in Learning that you have a good time with us and you liked our property.

Your comments represent an additional motivation for the whole team working hard to keep the service up to our customers' expectations.

We all look forward to the great pleasure of welcoming you back!

Warmest regards

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I have stayed two nights at the hotel as part of the annual Choice points redemption sale for 8,000 a night, which is a steal no matter how one looks at it. This was my fourth hotel for the trip (the others where the IC Park Lane London, Andaz London and the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris). So I will admit that my frame of reference is somewhat skewed. However the review is as fair as I can give.

I booked the room as Executive Queen Room for 8,000 points a night. I doubt that I had received that type of room. The room I’ve got (507) was in the old building and seems to be one of the smallest rooms in the hotel. The bed sure did not look like any Queen size bed I’ve ever seen. It probably was a Double bed at best. For 8,000 points a night it was satisfactory but I would have been very upset if I had paid full price (almost 300 Euro a night for the dates I was in the hotel) for the same room.

As other noticed the elevators are tiny. It is to be expected in an old building that was upgraded with elevators, however, they are really small. Once I got my suitcase with me into the elevator there was literally no room for anyone else. That said, I never had to wait too long for an elevator. The room itself was clean and the bed comfortable. However, the air-conditioning and warming does not seems to work. I was surprised that when I turned the unit on it was set on 30 degrees Celsius, but it was clear that it was never warmed the room at all. So I did not used it. Luckily it was not too cold.

The hotel tries to differentiate themselves by offering additional services for free. Those include WiFi, breakfast, dinner reception and free minibar. It is a nice thought, but I think it is more of a marketing ploy than a real benefit, at least for some of the items. WiFi was generally strong and worked almost all the time. Signing in into it though is a different matter. For those of your who use iPad and iPhone – the trick is to first disable popup blocking (yes, believe it or not the confirmation page is a popup page), and after connecting to the network open a new browser window (just refreshing already open window will not do). Once I’ve figured that out (about 3 hours) the WiFi worked without a problem.

Breakfast was acceptable with the usual spread one is expected to see. Nothing outstanding or especially bad. Fully functional as a breakfast. The evening reception on the other hand is a very low key event. In the one night I went down for it, it boiled down to be some cheese, some meet cuts, a tiny bowl of pasta and some bread. Not really something to be excited about. The minibar is indeed free, but it is stocked every 3 days only. It include 6 (yes that is correct – six) items (2 waters, 2 sodas and 2 juices) as well as one bag of chips. True it was free, but when one adversities free minibar, one expect a little more than that.

Other observations – on the first night the TV did not work. Turned out it was not plugged in, nor was the minibar. It might be the previous guest that had done so, but I would expect the housekeeping staff to make sure the room is ready for the next guest. One evening I was in the room with the door locked only to have a housekeeping person walk into the room (what is the point of having the door locked then?). The walls are not noise proof. I could hear every time my neighbor took a shower, watched TV, as well as do some other things. Street noise is also very prominent. On check out I requested a taxi, and was offered a fixed rate one – luckily I asked what was the rate (35 Euro to the train station, for what I knew should not be more than 15 Euro ride at 8 o’clock in the morning on a Sunday). At least they asked and not just booked me one, but I would expect them to know which one is going to be more economical.

The location of the hotel is good, but not ideal. It is about 15-minute walk from 3 metro station, but none of them is really close. The condition of the hallways and the building leaves a lot to be desired. Old warned out carpets, paint chipping, and general poor conditions of the hallways. It is not surprising as they are so small that luggage must hit them every day.

All in all, it was OK for 8,000 points. Paying the going rate – probably not.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank MDDCFlyer

Dear Customer,

first and foremost we wish to thank you for the time you took for sharing your comment.

We took good note about your suggestions and comments and wish to thank you for your loyalty with our group.

We hope to have the great pleasure of welcoming you back to our property in the very next future.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

This is a great location 2-3 blocks from Arch d Triumphe and Champs Elessyle and a nice hotel. The rooms are American large with a full bath. The complimentary full breakfast is also excellent with several options including cooked eggs and sausages. We got a good deal through Tripadvisor and Otel. Only 2 cautions (1)if you are sensitive to noise bring a white noise devise as it is near a police station and the hotel itself is fairly noisy and (2) double check on your wake up call.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bruce D B
DOUIEB, Directeur général at Hotel Etoile Saint-Honore by HappyCulture, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Guest,

we wish to thank you for the time you took for sharing your comments and are proud to learn that you enjoyed our property.

We took good note of your comments and will follow up on them with the objective of a continous improvement of our service.

best regards