“Very good hotel but small rooms”

New Hotel Roblin La Madeleine
Ranked #354 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Brussels, Belgium
“Very good hotel but small rooms”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel only for one night (I'm often travelling to Paris).
I really liked the design of the hotel and the rooms, even if the facade was under renovation at that time. It mixes the different atmospheres in a very nice way. The location is just next to La Madeleine church, so very central.
The room was comfortable but very, very small. The bathroom is really well arranged with good products.
I recommend this hotel but maybe in a larger room.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FredK1412
Caroline_Antoun, Director at New Hotel Roblin La Madeleine, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Fred, first of all we apologise for the disagrement you had with the scaffolding. We hope to see you again perhaps in a superior room wich is a bigger size.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The hotel is located right on the Madeleine square 1 minute walk from nearest metro. I really liked this location because it is in the middle of everything. It is not too far to walk to any main attraction in Paris.

We came to Paris for my moms birthday and stayed in this hotel for 8 nights. Reception staff was very friendly and helpful. We dodn't encounter anybody else except reception so I can't comment on housekeeping or breakfast/restaurant staff.

We got upgraded to a superior room. The room was nice, i liked the design of it, but a little on the small side which is very common in Paris. I was prepared for that and it is fine if you are staying for a couple of days but when you are there for over a week you can definitely notice lack of storage space. I had to keep most of my clothing in the suitcase since there was just a small wardrobe and no shelves at all. The bathroom was with the shower (i personally prefer shower over bathtub) and was newly renovated and very fresh.

It can get a bit warm in the room (I haven't seen any AC) even though it wasn't too warm outside (13-16 C). It might be worse in summer.

The towels were changed if they were used even if I didn't put them on the floor. I thought it was a bit unnecessary since they were still ok after I used them once and it's bad both for the environment and for the hotel since it's an additional expense.

Breakfast was not included in our rate but was offered to us upon check-in for 22 euros/person/night if I'm not mistaken. We decided to eat in the city instead so I can't comment if the hotel breakfast was worth the money.

Overall I can recommend this hotel because of its great location, friendly stuff and fresh rooms.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Maria Malmo, Thank you very much for the time you took to write all those comments. First of all, it was a pleasure for me and all my team to welcome you and your mum in the hotel. All the rooms in the hotel and the public area have the AC. I am surprised that you didn't see it, all the room have their own control. From September, we will propose to the guest to keep their towels if they want because we are very concerned with the environment. We thank you very much to suggest it. We hope to see you again for a next trip in Paris.
Pisa, Italy
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This hotel is beautiful, location perfect and, in a city of very compact rooms, it offers spacious accommodation. All works very well, great wi-fi, décor is classy and cozy.

It would get my full marks, but there were just so many things that left us ambivalent feelings towards the place:

- The façade of the building is being renovated. We were woken up at 8h30 am by the noise of the works, pulled the curtains and found 4 people standing right off our window. How's that for romantic getaway? There was no mention of works being undertaken on the hotel, neither on the hotel website nor on booking.com which we used to book our room. After getting confirmation that works would continue the whole week, got another room, after a bit of discussions on the hotel being full and how this was not a given etc etc. Changing room meant packing our bags again and losing roughly one hour before getting a new room. The lady who took care of us (Ms Catherine I believe) did not smile (let alone apologise for the inconvenience) once. Also, we got the lousiest excuses: "it is the municipality who does the works, it does not depend on us" – as if this was happening without them knowing. They should have not made those rooms available in the first place in my view.

- 1 May: simple question at the front desk on what to do in Paris. Answer: everything is closed down. We had to google it to find out that there are indeed some open museums and most restaurants were open. Overall, reception staff were not very helpful.

- Well, not all restaurants were open in Paris on 1st May: the hotel restaurant was closed (again, we were not informed about this), which meant (logically, accordingly to them) that the room service was not available for lunch (?!). At the request of getting some food to the room, I have this awkward conversation with a (very helpful btw) guy who informs me that we cannot get food because the restaurant is closed. After insisting for a while he got us two sandwiches, but the whole story is incredible. This is not a boutique 3* hotel, yet room service is only available a couple of hours a day, when it is available.

- The safe is not laptop sized. And I have a 11" MacAir! Actually, you cannot fit a regular sized iPad there for how tiny the safe is. I guess you just have to trust the cleaning staff with your larger valuables.

- Breakfast: they charge more than the beautiful La Duree tearoom 5 minutes walking from the hotel. I'd say: go there instead, which is what we did.

- Toiletries: great to get Hermes products, but wait: no-one though conditioner would be useful for the ladies?

- Finally, charging 2.5 Euro a Nespresso capsule in a hotel of this category is just ridiculous. Seriously? You cannot afford to offer your guests 2 complimentary capsules worth 0.37 euro cents each per day with these room charges? And the complimentary bottles of waters are given once, per stay and not every day?

I am sorry, but for how beautiful the place is, these are things that do not scream 4* to me and we have never seen anywhere in hotels of this category. The potential is high, the execution I am afraid a bit poor.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Franz21
Dear Franz, Thank you for all your returns. I really apologise for all those bad experience in the hotel, it is of course not at all the way we want our guest remember of our hotel. About the works on the facade I can imagine the huge inconvenience for you on a leisure trip, and sorry that my team was not here to give you assistance on this matter and on the concierge question. I personally gave her a feedback. For your laptop, we have larger safe available at the reception and also conditionner on request if you need. I hope that we will have the opportunity to see you again to show you that this was occasional.
Nova Gorica, Slovenia
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Nice and good hotel in a good location in Paris.We have stayed there for 3 nights and all was been good and nice stay , we have just take the period of renovation of front side of hotel so our window in room was been closed and no view on street. Roomsa re cleaned and nice.
We will come back for sure.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much Janko, it will be a pleasure to welcome you again with our new facade!
Manchester
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed at The hotel roblin this week & we had a wonderful stay, the staff was so helpful with maps, booking places to eat & so much more.
Location was perfect for couples wanting to shop & sightsee., metro 2 min walk away & is one of the main stations in paris linking you to most of the sights of beautiful Paris.
Room (306) were chic & smart overlooking courtyard & bathroom was perfect with very very posh Hermes soaps & shampoo.

Will be coming back soon for another perfect stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much Nat for your great comment. We really hope to have the opportunity to welcome back soon.
Bloemendaal, The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We have booked this Hotel for our Easter holidays. It is a small, quiet hotel, at a very good location, next to the Madeleine church. Although we are used to small rooms in Paris, ours was extremely tiny. The wardrobe was VERY small. The decor was nice, the staff was quite helpful, the breakfast was excellent. Our great disappointment was that the hotel was having its external part renovated (back and front). We could not open the windows, the airco was not very powerful and we had to look at scaffoldings in front of our window. We complained about the fact that such an important issue should have been mentioned on their web site (most hotels do so and specify the renovation period so that guests can be prepared for the inconvenience should they decide to book). As compensation, we were offered free breakfasts, which was a nice and professional gesture from the hotel, thus a plus.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
We would like to thank you for your comment and your understand. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again with no works on the facade that you will be abble to enjoy completely your stay.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel over Easter weekend so that I could propose to my now Fiancee in Paris. It did not dissapoint!
A nice sized boutique hotel that is superbly located to see the sites. A 5 minute stroll to The Opera, Concorde, Tuilieries & Champs Elysee. Maybe 20/30 minutes to the Arc de Triumphe & Louvre. Obviously the Madeline church is on the doorstep.
Madeleine Metro station is 100 yards from the front door and makes anything further afield, Eiffel Tower, Montmatre etc very accessible.
Dont make the mistake of getting a cab from the airport. The Roissy bus is only 10.50 € and stops at The Opera so not far to carry your luggage.
The hotel itself was immaculate with good sized rooms for central Paris. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful booking restaurants for us both nights.
The restaurant was closed for Easter while we stayed so I cant comment on this but the bar is cosy and reasonably priced for the area.
If we ever return to Paris we would definitely stay here again without even looking elsewhere.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RugbyManAlex
We would like to thank you Alex for your nice comment. We are very proud to be part of a so magical moment of your life. We hope to have the pleasure to see you again in the hotel perhaps for another important moment.