“A major disappointment!”

Hotel Royal Madeleine
Ranked #823 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This was a special trip, we were going back to Paris to celebrate our 15 wedding anniversary. A couple of years ago we stayed at the Mercure Tour Eiffel and loved it. This time we wanted to be an a different area so we chose another Mercure near Place de la Madeleine but to our disappointment this property was not what we expected. The room was so tiny that you could not open the closet door completely since the bed was les than 2 feet from it. The bathroom was equally small, shower stall was 2'x2' so washing your hair was les than a nightmare. They only changed our sheets 1 during a 5 night stay. Buffet was 18€ and only had scramble eggs, bacon, sausage and old looking pastry, awful compared to the delicious and abundant breakfast served at Tour Eifell even before the renovation. Front desk staff was unfriendly and not always there. They have to buzz you in an on a couple of occasions we had to wait almost 10 minutes before someone let us in. Do not stay there! There are about 3 or 4 hotels on the same block that were a lot better.

I would note however that right across there is a small cafe, I think the name was Chez Josefine that serves a delicious breakfast for a few euros.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Audreyppf
NAUDBARBARA, Directeur général at Hotel Royal Madeleine, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dears Guests,

You have taken the time to give us your opinion about your stay in our hotel, and we thank you.
Your comments are essential to us because your satisfaction during your stay is our principal reason.
We are sorry that the service did not meet your expectations, and we beg you to accept our sincerest apologies.
Be assured that the necessary corrective measures have already been taken to ensure that the quality level meets your expectations and earns your trust when you next stay with us.
Concerning the size of the rooms we suggest you to taste ours Privilege rooms, they are bigger and more comfortable.

Yours sincerely,

There are newer reviews for Hotel Royal Madeleine

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We booked this hotel because it was close to a metro station. each day we had to go a meeting which we could reach with metro easely without changing lanes. The hotel was very clean, friendly staff, but very expensive related to the very small room we had. (above 200 euro a night). Breakfast we had to pay extra for 18 euro. A nice and intiem bar, but on sunday and monday closed. Next time we shall look for another hotel, bigger room for a smaller price.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
NAUDBARBARA, Directeur général at Hotel Royal Madeleine, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dears Customers,
We thank you for your comments and are delighted by your appreciation of the hotel and by the staff. Concerning the rates, we suggest you to reserve the offers prepaid because they are more attractive.
We hope we can welcome you again in our hotel soon.
Yours,
Barbara

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Hotel and service were fabulous. We arrived hours before we could check in but the man at reception found us a room which NEVER happens. He was probably the nicest and most friendly concierge I have ever met. He helped us with everything. Service is definitely an A+. The room itself was very spacious as well as the bathroom which us hard to come by in the center if paris. Mini fridge was complimentary and there were a ton of free toiletries. The only down side is that room was a little bit outdated, but everything else was fantastic!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
NAUDBARBARA, Directeur général at Hotel Royal Madeleine, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear customers,
You appreciated your stay in our establishment and we thank you for communicating this opinion. I'll translete your compliments to our staff and believe me your comments will motivate them to make every effort to keep your trust.
Thank you again.

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

The desk man, didn't get his name (wavy hair) was extremely generous and spoke great English. He helped us pick a room when we arrived and let us check in early, check out late and held our bags for us after check out when we needed some food before our flight.

So it's near the Auber Metro stop, and we stayed in room 404 which had a comfy king bed, with those infamous Mercure starchy sheets. Free mini bar, free wifi, and good location!

We would book again!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir,
I thank you for taking time to give us your opinion about your stay in our hotel.
Your comments are essential to us because your satisfaction during your stay is our principal object.
We are glad to know that you had a very nice stay with us.
We hope to welcome you again in our hotel very soon.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Perfect location is the best way to describe this hotel. In the heart of the Madeline area and just mins away from the Opera district. There are many small cafes and restaurants in the area.
The rooms were a decent size (for Paris standard) and quite clean. The bathroom was also surprisingly larger than expected.
The front desk receptions are all very friendly and helpful. We didn't try the food in the hotel since there were so many great cafes and restaurants nearby.
*no mini fridge in the rooms - only available in the privilege room.
*free wifi - but quite weak, this requires a bit of improvement.

Overall, it was a great choice. I would recommend this hotel, mainly for the area and room size!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bee833
NAUDBARBARA, Directeur général at Hotel Royal Madeleine, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear customers,
You appreciated your stay in our establishment and we thank you for communicating this opinion. We shall make every effort to keep your trust.
Indeed to you.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

This was not exactly what I expected for a room of € 185! When I arrived in my room in the evening and wanted to take a shower, the shower was clogged. Unfortunately I noticed this as I was already in the shower, my head full of shampoo! The water quickly rose to shower door level and I had to let it lower and get out of the shower.
I rinsed the shampoo out of my hair and eyes in the sink and went to the phone to let reception know that I had a problem. The phone wasn't working either!

There I was, all wet and frantic, I put on my nightgown and coat and went down, dripping and all.
The desk clerk was extremely irritated that I presented this problem for him: "Not much I can do about it, I'm all on my own here"..... I insisted that he come up and check.

After 10 minutes he came up, he was able to fix the phone, but as far as the shower he said: "No technicians now, and we're fully booked, maybe tomorrow morning you can wait till a guest has left and shower in his room.........." How about that folks, does that sound like a reasonable solution to you????? And so I had to wash myself in front of the sink, as if I were on a 1-star camping in Poland.

Hey, the breakfast was nice for € 18,- but I say € 185 for a 1-star camping is pretty expensive!!
They didn't even have the decency to offer a (partial) refund.

So, travellers and business people: give the Mercure Paris Royal Madeleine a miss, skip it from your list, for the only Royal thing about is is their room rate!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Gabrielle v

Dear Madam,

We noted your opinion about your stay in our hotel, and we are sorry that the service did not meet your expectations, and we beg you to accept our sincerest apologies.
Be assured that the necessary corrective measures have already been taken to correct the malfunctionings that you mentionned.
we hope to welcome you again in our hotel and will do our best to give you all satisfaction.

Please, feel free to contact me for any question you might require,

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Me and my partner stayed here in May 2013 for about 4 nights. It was very nice and decent, clean hotel, however the room could have been a bit bigger. It was very conveniently located to central areas though so relatively easy to get around.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lizzy E
NAUDBARBARA, Directeur général at Hotel Royal Madeleine, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Dear Customer,
I thank you for your comments which are very precious for us. I pass on your very positive appreciation to the entire staff.
Concerning the size of the rooms they are quite small but we do have some bigger rooms so please, let us know next time when arrive and we will provide you a bigger room.
All team of the hotel and me hope to be able to welcome you again very soon. Well to you. Barbara Naud