“Bon Service”

Mercure Paris Montmartre Sacre Coeur
Ranked #408 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 December 2009

Granted the hotel is situated nearby a seedy district but all in all, the service was phenomenal. The manager did not hesitate to upgrade at no charge in a new remodelled room on the top floor with a fantastic view of the Tour d'Effiel. The advantage of this hotel is also that a grocery store is nearby. Making meals on the go very convenient. Further, the Metro is conveniently located. I have stayed twice at this hotel and would most definately return.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cantravel4now
mercuremontmartre, General Manager at Mercure Paris Montmartre Sacre Coeur, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2010

Dear Customer
I am extremelly glad that you enjoyed the exceptional view and the cleanliness of our newly renovated bed rooms and their king size beds. I will certainly share with my team your appreciation of our service. Such positive comments are unvaluable to us in our seach for always better satisfy you.
I am also delighted to read that you are one of our repeat customers end please do not hesitate to contact me on philippe.rousseau@accor.com should you wish to make any suggestion that would help making your next stay even more memorable.
Kind regards
Philippe Rousseau
General manager

There are newer reviews for Mercure Paris Montmartre Sacre Coeur

Reviewed 24 September 2009

The Mercure is part of the accor chain and shares the site with an Ibis hotel (a more budget focussed offering from the same group).

The hotel has been recently refurbished. It is a business hotel, but I think they are trying to create a boutique feel with the common areas having a some Art Nouveau touches. I found the decor a little odd (dark olive walls and red highlights)but everything in the room worked well. Although the hotel is at a busy road junction the external soundproofing was very good, so I heard little outside noise. One bonus for me was that the blackout curtains were very effective, so it was possible to get the room nice and dark, which I always prefer. Some of the English signs were a bit baffling - I'm still not sure why I'd want to be "impregnated by the uncompleted paintings in the bar" !

The hotel is about a 10 euro taxi fare from Gare du Nord, where the Eurostars arrive. You can get here by metro but you need to change lines and the metro station stairs are awkward if you have heavy luggage.

The main downside is the local area. The hotel is right on the edge of the Pigalle red light district, an area full of sleazy bars, fast food joints, tourist traps, lurid sex shops and touts. Having said that, it is easy walking distance to Montmartre and the Sacre Coer and transport links are good.

Overall, a modern hotel, clean, comfortable, reasonably well-appointed but not strong on Parisian charm and in an unattractive area.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Eroslondon
Reviewed 20 September 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Mercure Montmartre for a 2-night weekend break in August. The hotel represents excellent value for Paris, and is in a convenient location just a few minutes walk from the Metro. It's at the foot of the Montmartre hill, just down the road from the Moulin Rouge (less than 5 mins), and in the opposite direction there are some bars / cafés and restaurants around Place de Clichy that are quite handy. We had little difficulty walking up through Montmartre to the Sacré Coeur on Sunday morning (about 20 mins).

The hotel itself is clean, modern, and pretty much exactly what you'd expect from a mid-range chain hotel in Paris. Nothing amazing, but sometimes it's nice to know what you're getting in advance. The rooms were a decent enough size, comfortable bed, standard decor, and with a handy fridge (rather than a minibar they had a widely-stocked vending machine downstairs).

They seem to have had an art-themed refurb, so each floor is dedicated to a famous artist (we were on the 5th floor, dedicated to Van Gogh), with a variety of related paintings decorating the hotel etc - it was a nice touch. Our limited dealings with the staff (mostly just front-desk) were fine; they were courteous and efficient, but friendly enough as well.

Overall I would recommend the hotel. It's not exactly in the middle of the action, but it's not hard to get to the action if that's what you want, and in the meantime you have a clean, modern hotel at a good price for central Paris.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2009

service-excellent
location to subway-excellent
area-not the "romantic" Paris but that is just a few subway stops away
room- big compared to other European cities..very convenient fridge in the room
free buffet-we filled up on this and ate just one other meal
safety-no issues on our trip

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank discoverourworld
Reviewed 26 August 2009

I stayed at this hotel as part of a Trafalgar Tour last Autumn and I found the room to be quite satisfactory for what I needed; a place to sleep and watch TV after retiring both days from strolling Paris and its iconic sites. I think for a hotel that caters to the business and group tour market it is somewhat above the standard business hotel. The food was good, and the selection that was offered was more than adequate. I would recommend this hotel to others who wish to see Paris, but may not be able to afford to stay in a hotel in the single digit arrondissements. Transit is possible as is walking from the hotel in and around the quaint little shops, one of my tour buddies walked from the hotel to Notre Dame and she said the walk was quite nice. The other thing which the bathroom had at this hotel was a real bathtub in the bathroom; some hotels, especially the newer ones I have stayed in Europe AND North America which are 3 stars and up, have only a shower so it is a little luxury that when I get it I enjoy it. The lack of this feature is a hindrance somewhat since one thing I like to do after a long day sightseeing is to soak my feet the shower only rooms make it nay impossible unless I choose to hoist my feet individually one at a time into the sink and then try not to fall or slip on the floor when I take them out again. I therefore, have no hesitation recommending this hotel to others, and have done so recently.

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank AustenWodehouse
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We spent seven nights at the Mercure Montmatre during June as part of a Air Transat Vacations package. The price was so low (less that we spent on airfare alone to Italy two years ago) that we told ourselves that the hotel was more or less free and that we wouldn't complain about it. By the end of our week we were quite pleased that we in fact had nothing to complain about.
The hotel itself is what I would call a budget business class hotel (akin to an urban Holiday Inn in North America) housed in a fairly nondescript modern building. It has zero charm but is well maintained, functional and the rooms are large enough with all the expected features. We actually had a view of the golden dome of the Invalides and the Eieffel tower off in the distance! If you want a view make sure you're on at least the fifth floor and facing in the right direction. Try to avoid the viewless first floor which is just down the hall from the noisy breakfast room and various meeting halls.
Our package included a full breakfast: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, pastries, cereal, fruit, yogurt, cheese, bread etc.... and most importantly excellent coffee! Certainly no complaints here, but I think if it had not been included in our package we wouldn't have paid the 17 euros but instead would have gone to one of the nearby cafes.
There's not much else to say about the hotel itself except to mention that it's lack of charm is easily made up for by the friendly and extremely helpful front desk staff who were always happy to assist us non-French speakers with restaurant reservations and other requests. I've been to a couple of 5 stars whose front desks were far less useful.
In terms of location, the hotel is on the edge of Montmartre rather then in the central core of Paris where you'll probably be spending most of your time. It's true that it's fairly close to a rather seedy area along the Boulevard de Clichy (the Moulin Rouge is here), but it's just as close to the best part of Montmartre...Rue Joseph de Maistre, Rue des Martyres, Rue des Abbesses, Rue Lepic etc where it's non-touristy yet filled with wonderful restaurants, patisseries, bistros etc. We could have happily come here every night for dinner. If you really want the full tourist experience Place de Tetre and Sacre Cour are no more then a 15-20 minute walk away.
If you prefer a hotel where many of the great sites of Paris are an easy walk from your front door, this isn't the place. Nonetheless, there's plenty of nearby public transit. Almost at the front door is the stop for bus 95 which will take you to Gallerie Lafayette, the Opera, the Louvre (about 20 minutes) and St Germain de Pres. Next to it is the stop for bus 30 which passes by Parc Monceau and the Arch de Triomphe/Champs Elysees on its way to the Trocedero across the river from the Eiffel Tower. We'd also see bus 80(?) passing by which travels along the Seine past Nortre Dame on its way to Ville de Cite (close to the Pompideau Centre) but we never figured out where its stop was! Instead we took a short stroll to Place de Clichy where we had two subway lines to take us anywhere we wanted to go.
So in the end, if you book at a good price and if you're willing to forgo an element of Parisian charm you should have no problem with the Mercure Montmartre.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LouPotato
Reviewed 17 June 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed there in June. The hotel itself was great - nice rooms, good service, friendly staff, great buffet breakfast. The problem was that the hotel is near A LOT of sex shops along one street (the street the Moulin Rouge is on) and the atmosphere was therefore not what we were expecting - i.e., boulangeries and patisseries!! Of course, there are a lot of other great streets in the area, but we've decided not to stay in this hotel again because of the seediness of this one street. Also, there was one patisserie on the same street - more of a Middle Eastern one, and the pastries were HORRIBLE!! The service was even worse.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple