“Be careful of this hotel”

Mercure Paris Montmartre Sacre Coeur
Ranked #401 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I would not trust the staff of this hotel.
I booked 2 renovated rooms on the upper floors. When I checked in I found that one of the rooms allocated to me was a disabled room. That is not a problem in itself. The real problems started when we returned from dinner and decided to shower. There is no shower screen in the bathroom (to enable wheelchair access), and the water flooded all over the bathroom floor. It was impossible to contain the water only to the shower area. Without any other floor drains the water could not possibly drain away and puddled about 13mm or half an inch all around the toilet and the hand basin. During the early hours when I visited the bathroom I found myself wading through the water (where's the wellies I thought?) When I climbed back in bed I found that the bottom of my pyjamas were soaked from the puddles.
The next morning when I compained to the front desk staff I was told that if I waited around the hotel till noon then I could change rooms. When I told them that we would be out sightseeing at tht time and was there any other alternative. I was told that they would send up someone to mop the floors whenever I asked, so I said that I would therefore stay in the room.......what a mistake. After returning late to the hotel and showering we had the same problem. Called the front desk to get the floor mopped and was told that no-one would be able to come to the room to mop the floor. It was only about 9.30pm. There was no satisfaction given, nor any follow-up from management.
I also dislike the attitude of hotel staff who deny the existance of any problems in a room when you can tell that the problem has been there for ages. In this case I photographed the bathroom floor to show the permanent water stains on the black floor tiles to prove this was not the first time that the room had flooded.
Added to all that was the fact that we were charged for 4 breakfasts that we didn't have, and had to waste time correcting their mistakes when trying to leave the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank qfaust
mercuremontmartre, Manager at Mercure Paris Montmartre Sacre Coeur, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2010

Dear Customer

As I told you in the answer to our online customer satisfaction survey I am terribly sorry about the bad experience you had while staying with us.

I hope that you will find my answer sent to personal email address to your satisfaction and that I will hear from you in the near future.

Sincerely yours

Reviewed 23 September 2010

this was our fourth visit to paris and by far the best hotel
staff were pleasant and helpful especially friendly bar staff
rooms were pleasant and quite large by paris standards we had a room on the 3rd floor
breakfast was excellent with good choice of hot and cold food
a good central position with easy access to metro and buses
we used the open top bus tour which had 50 stops and four routes
had an excellent meal in the japanese restaurant opposite the hotel
would recommend this hotel and will certainly stay here again on our next visit to paris

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hilcrossEssex
mercuremontmartre, General Manager at Mercure Paris Montmartre Sacre Coeur, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2010

Dear Customer

Thank you so much for posting such a great review about our hotel. I am delighted to read you would stay again with us for your next stay.
Our location is indeed very central as you described it with direct acces to Gare du Nord / Eurostar Terminal.
I suggest that in order for you to even better enjoy your next stay you book either a superior room (with king size beds) or privilege bedroom (with complimentary soft drink, expresso machine, exceptional view over Paris)
I look forward to welcoming you in the near future
Kind regards

Reviewed 19 September 2010

Nothing negative to say about this hotel. Loved the location - really close to the lovely Montmartre, almost on top of the intriguing cemetary, possible to walk to the very heart of Paris yet away from the hoards of tourists and if you use the Metro just 2 minutes away from the station. Facilities really good standard - with some nice touches, free laptop safe and ample sized fridge being two of them. Our breakfast in bed was really nice. Whilst this hotel lacks the initmacy of some more bijou places it was not at all too 'corporate' and was excellent value.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
mercuremontmartre, General Manager at Mercure Paris Montmartre Sacre Coeur, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2010

Dear Customer,

Thank you for posting this positive comment that I will share with my team. I am glad you enjoyed the central location of the hotel, which you may not know has also direct access to Gare du Nord making our hotel a great stop over for Eurostar passengers.

I am glad you enjoyed the comfort of our newly renovated bedrooms and pleased to announce that we are upgrading the two upper floors into privilege bedrooms with oustanding view over Paris and specifics exclusive features such as complimentary expresso coffee machine, complimentary mini bar, pampering items etc....

I hope we will have the pleasure to see you again in the near future.

kind regards

General manager

Reviewed 22 August 2010

Stayed at the Hotel Mercure Montmartre for the first week of August 2010. It was part of a package from Canada. Very nice Hotel. Very clean and modern. Nice rooms with graet view of Scare Coeur, the Eiffel Tour and the rest of Paris. Stunning sunsets! The area is interesting and felt quite safe day and night. Very close to Place Clichy Metro stop. Nice breakfast (hot and cold) included! Small Bar off Lobby.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
mercuremontmartre, General Manager at Mercure Paris Montmartre Sacre Coeur, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2010

Dear Customer,

Thank you for posting this positive feeback that I will indeed share with my team.
I am please to take the oportunity of this answer that will be be upgrading the upper floors with exceptionnal view over Paris Monuments into "Privilège" bedrooms by the month of October.

Kind Regards

Général Manager

Reviewed 16 August 2010

We stayed here for 5 nights, as a birthday treat for a special birthday. It had been 50 years since we last visited Paris, so a sentimental return. The Mercure is conveniently situated at the foot of La Butte, the hill on which Sacre Coeur stands and we could see the basilica from the window of our room. The rooms are quiet, even though we faced a busy road (roadworks at the time of our stay, improving the layout at Place de Clichy). An unexpected find for the Continent was tea/coffee making facility in the room.

It is a hotel used by many tour groups for one night stays so can be busy in the mornings but regular guests have a separate dining area for breakfast. There is plenty of choice of cereals, bacon, sausage and scrambled eggs plus the usual continental cold meats and cheeses with a wide selection of bread, croissants etc. fruit juice, teas and coffee.

Alongside the Cemetery of Montmartre (an interesting place to visit), it is near the Moulin Rouge (very expensive - cheapest dinner and show being 150 euros) and at the edge of Pigalle. It seemed a perfectly safe area from what we saw.

The little 'train' is a good way of getting to know the layout of Montmartre. It leaves from Place Blanche and costs 6 euros per person, stopping at Sacre-Coeur where you can get out and return by a later 'train'
Metro tickets are valid on the buses - a carnet of 10 costs 12 euros.

We found an interesting bistro at 'Au Virage Lepic' up the steep Rue Lepic. The food is excellent. There are many eateries all over Montmartre to cater for all tastes. The Mercure does not offer an evening menu and seemed to have the restaurant only for breakfast.

In the city, the Batobus is a useful vehicle for stopping off on a river trip at points of interest along the Seine. We didn't use it so cannot quote the cost. It is a get on and off facility over about 8 places.

As people over the age of 55, we were pleased to accept a 2 for 1 offer on the breakfast. That may be a special deal and not permanent, but it was a nice surprise when it came to settling the bill. We had a lovely visit and hope it won't be another 50 years before we return!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PamJMP

Dear Customer

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and will pass your comments onto my team.

I am glad as you mention that the central location of the hotel has made your trip to Paris memorable as indeed most Parisian landmarks from the Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysee, Louvres and so many other I could not name them all are just a stone throw away from the hotel.

I also hope that we won't have to wait another 50 years to see you back as unfortunately I may not be around to welcome you anymore :-).

very kind regards

Général Manager

Reviewed 12 August 2010

We stayed in the newly-refurbished rooms in August 2009 on a girls-only trip. We were very impressed and were enticed back when the Accor hotel chain sent us a special web offer so we booked the hotel again for 6 nights in July 2010. As mentioned in the previous reviews, the refurbished rooms are very comfortable with nice bed linens (comfy duvets), flat screen TVs, and a convenient empty bar fridge that you can store your picnic items. Front desk service was always friendly and prompt. When I originally booked using the North American reservation line, the agent made an error and booked an incorrect date. When I emailed the hotel directly, they corrected the error immediately and responded to my email within 12 hours. The hotel now offers free WiFi in rooms but you have to pick up a daily code from the front desk. We did not have the breakfast buffet included this year as it was expensive at E17 per person, but enjoyed it last year as part of our Air Transat package. As for location, the Metro is very close by, Flunch (budget cafeteria-style restaurant) next door has great ice cream deals, Mono Prix and a good boulangerie are 1.5 blocks away, and Montmartre is a short stroll away. As with any hotel, good value depends on pricing. I would not book this hotel for the posted rack rate but found the web specials reasonable.and, in the case of the Accor web offer, an incredible deal.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
mercuremontmartre, General Manager at Mercure Paris Montmartre Sacre Coeur, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2010

Dear Customer

Thank you for posting this very positive review and even more statisfied by your comment as I understand that you are a repeat customer.
In relation to the remark about the value for money I would indeed recommend anyone to have a closer look at the FREE AClub loyalty program our company has set up las year with already in excess of 4 millions members worldwilde, through which member avail exclusive promotions and priority booking windows as for example this summer we gave 50% discount on our rate during a limited booking period of time.

Sincerely Yours

Reviewed 9 August 2010

We sstayed here with two teenagers for 3 nights during the first week of the summer holidays.

We had booked two twin rooms which were described as "refurbished in 2009" and I would certainly recommend this as they were both very clean, modern and comfortable with very good showers. Air con could have been better but luckily it wasn't too hot.

Having the window open was fine as we were on the ninth floor (we'd asked to be away from street noise).

Breakfast was great, with anything you could possibly want available (hot items such as pancakes, bacon, sausages and scrambled egg as well as the normal selection of breads, croisants, cereals, cold meats, cheese, yogurts and even noodles!)

The staff were very willing to accomodate any request. In fact all the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Location wise it is quite easy to avoid the sleazy part of the area and the metro is literally a minute walk, with the more picturesque parts of Montmartre a short stroll away up the cobbled, leafy streets. We even walked to the fancy shops at Gallery Lafayette (about 25 mins)

Highly recommended, but worth booking in advance with special requests - and go for the refurbished rooms!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank alstonx
mercuremontmartre, General Manager at Mercure Paris Montmartre Sacre Coeur, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2010

Dear Customer,

Thank you for sharing your overall experience with us. You will be glad to learn that by the end of the summer we will have renovated an extra two floors. We will also introduce by the month of september some "PRIVILEGE" bedrooms on the top of our superior bedrooms. Those Privilege bedrooms will all be located on the TOP floor with unique over Paris and its monuments, will include COMPLIMENTARY mini bar and dedicated pampering items such as sleepers and bathrobs for example and also FREE expresso coffee machine.

I can only but thank you again for posting such comments and would encourage other travelers to do so as they are for us an unvaluable help to improve our services

Very kind regards