“Smelly, noisy - and the staff steal!!!”

Citadines Montmartre Paris
Ranked #455 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
London
“Smelly, noisy - and the staff steal!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

We chose this accommodation at the last minute because I saw poor reviews about our original accommodation in Paris. Whilst the reviews of Citadines Montmartre were not perfect, we were not in a position to be too choosy and was glad to get somewhere at such short notice.

On arrival in our studio, we noticed a distinct smell in the kitchenette and the bathroom (could have done with a good going over with some bleach) but the bed seemed clean and we were not planning to use the kitchen facilities anyway.

The apart'hotel is near Moulin Rouge and is in a cul de sac with a staircase at the end that leads to a main road, so expect to hear late night revellers walking home - we were woken up on both of the nights we were there. During the day, a group of young guys use the area as a hang out - they did not seem threatening, but I can imagine that some might find their presence an issue.

We had read about the theft issue and made use of the safe, but my husband forgot to put about £5 worth of sterling coins in the safe, leaving them in a zipped pocket in his suitcase. When we got home on Sunday and unpacked, he realised the coins had gone. Now the money is not a big issue, but the fact that someone was poking around in his luggage is absolutely sickening. Given that we had not ordered room cleaning (as you have to pay extra and we were only there for two nights), the staff should not even have been in the room - they were clearly just going in there to steal!!!

Needless to say we do not recommend this hotel. Paris is one of those cities where you really do get what you pay for - I thought the Citadines international brand would result in better treatment of guests but I was wrong. The manager of this hotel needs to find these thieves, and GET RID OF THEM - they are damaging their reputation!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank indiehotel
Etienne D, Gérant at Citadines Montmartre Paris, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

We read with much concern about the unpleasant experience you encountered during your previous stay with us.

We always encourage our residents to bring their concern to the Duty Manager at the time when the issue arises. The purpose is to ensure that their concerns are addressed promptly with the objective of making their stay with us a pleasant one. In this instance, the management of the property was unaware of the incident and is very sorry to learn that you were left with an unpleasant experience.

Please contact me at etienne.david@citadines.com so that we can take remedial action to ensure incident like this will not happen again. Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

So myself, my husband and my 2 children stayed there in august 2013. when we got there the place seemed Ok but when we got our room there was an odor so we opened the windows as we quickly realized they didn'thave air conditioning (it was 80 degrees the day we arrived in paris). We went out eat and upon returning the room was filled with all sorts of bugs. I asked them to change my room but was told the is nothing available.
This was booked through liberty travels and when I called my travel agent he told me that they advertise they have AC so why don't they give you aAC room.
Long story short I did not get another room. My children did not sleep all night. They were crying that they want to go home. Overall very rough first night in Paris. My sister in NY stayed up all night and found me another hotel (Novotel)over night and we checked out first thing in the morning. This hotel was prepaid for 4 nights and I have yet to get my money back.
When my travel agent asked about the AC situation he was told that we were provided with a fan.
This location is not very family friendly. It's Moulin Rouge. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Ritu4u
Pauline C, Manager at Citadines Montmartre Paris, responded to this review, 18 August 2016
Dear Ritu4u,
I am very sorry to read your review further to your stay with us in 2013.
I understand you keep a bad memory of our establishment by now.

Once again, please accept our apologies and do not hesitate to let me know if I can be of any assistance to you anytime.

Regards
Nelson, Lancs
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

Things that are good.
- A nice roof terrace

Things that are not good
- The staff making fun of an English accent
- Very unhelpful staff
- Dishonest staff that steal
- Lack of air conditioning in 36degree heat
- Wifi that does not work
- a stained toilet
- Undesirable people hanging around the front of the hotel
- The lack of light outside the front of hotel
- On leaving the hotel I mentioned that our towels or bedsheets were not changed during our 4 day stay. I was then advised I would have needed to book new towels and sheets. This was very helpful information as I was checking out.
- My friend left a nice brand new Ralph Lauren jumper in our wardrobe, Within a hour of checking out he called to let them know a friend would call by to collect this, Only to be told that there was nothing in the wardrobe and there was nothing that could be done.

The roof terrace was nice nothing else was

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Etienne D, Gérant at Citadines Montmartre Paris, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

We always encourage our residents to bring their concern to the Duty Manager at the time when the issue arises. The purpose is to ensure that his/her concerns are addressed promptly with the objective of making his/her stay with us a pleasant one. In this instance, the management of the property was unaware of the incidents and is very sorry to learn that you were left with an unpleasant experience.

Once again, we apologize that we were unable to make you feel more at home and comfortable. We would have loved to be able to address your concerns while you were here and had the chance to make your stay more pleasant. We hope that you would reconsider staying with us again, giving us another opportunity to serve you better.
Leiden, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

We stayed in Citadines Montmartre for 3 nights in August 2013.

Service - Very good. Everybody at the front desk was nice. The guy who checked us in even upgraded us to a room with a balcony. This proved to be very handy because there was a lack of eating space in the apartment itself. We had three nice breakfasts on our balcony!

Sleep Quality / Room - We had a four-person, two-room apartment. One room had a double bed, and the other room had a pull-out bed, which was better than I first expected. We slept on the front side of the hotel but we didn't experience any noise/sleeping problems except for the thunderstorm :) The room served all our needs, it even had a small dishwasher. Major downside is the roof terrace. It was dangerous considering some floor tiles were loose and nails were sticking out. I think this is unacceptable for a hotel of this calibre.

Cleanliness - Could be better. For example, some mould between the bathroom tiles and the ventilation system is dusty. I think it all has to do with the ventilation being not so well.

Location - Location in the city was very well. Only 100-200 metres away from metro stations Place de Clichy and Blanche. A downside was that there were some youngsters at night who played music on their cellphones and a clochard who slept on his matress in the corner just below our balcony. Funny thing was that an elderly lady took away his stuff which he had hidden behind a phone booth, probably because she was fed up with him. So the clochard might have moved elsewhere by now...

Concluding, Citadines was a nice hotel with a great location and nice staff. However, I think it has to improve the cleaning/ventilation and the rooftop terrace hás to be fixed. Just placing a sign which says 'dangerous' is no solution.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback which will be shared with the team at Citadines Montmartre Paris. Your feedback motivates us to do better to ensure that our residents have a warm and pleasant experience. We look forward to welcoming you again.
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

great to sleep in a hotel next door to the place where Dalida rests in peace. very friendly man at reception to check you in. free coffee all day. room with little kitchen which is an advantage as well. nearby metro. lively neighbourhood. and Montmartre is worth a thousand visits.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the back
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
We are glad that you had an enjoyable stay. I will share your compliments with my colleagues. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Paralimni, Cyprus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

Clean, large, decorated room..In the heart of Montmarte as well as close to metro stations.Value for money. Definately recomending this hotel!!! Nice base to sleep well and relax. Open bar until late night where you can make your coffe for free. The reception was more than willing to help us find a mini bus for the airport...Definately staying in this hotel again when visiting paris!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank MARIA E
Etienne D, Gérant at Citadines Montmartre Paris, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is great to have you stay with us. We appreciate your review and the compliments about our service and facilities. We hope to see you again.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

This place is hit and miss. The first time I stayed here I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The rooms were clean and had good (though sometimes malfunctioning) amenities (on the last visit neither the exhaust fans nor the dishwasher worked and on this occasion neither the exhaust fans nor the CD system worked). However the location is awesome. Staff are (generally) extremely friendly and helpful. True, the price is quite high, but you do get more space, and Paris is a stupidly expensive place for accommodation.

This time we encountered a totally different experience. We waited for an hour to be checked-in. There was simply no excuse for that. This is a huge place, and yet there was one overworked lady on the front desk coping with an increasingly long and angry line of frustrated guests. She remained civil and helpful throughout, but the fact that management in the back office clearly couldn't care less made us both very angry - for her as much as for us.

This experience wasn't a one-off. I notice other reviewers have had a similar hard time. Sadly we can't bring ourselves to go back to the place, even though - as all Paris travellers know - the chances of finding a genuinely good hotel for a reasonable price is going to be tough.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ThePrivacySurgeon
Etienne D, Gérant at Citadines Montmartre Paris, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Thank you for your feedback.
It is our every intention to provide excellent service and products to our residents. What happened was an isolated incident due to an event which we had that day and we are very sorry that it affected your stay with us. I would like to assure you that this is not the usual standard we strive for.