“Perfect! Now I know better and I'll ask for a room to the back of the hotel!”

Best Western Hotel Ronceray Opera
Ranked #875 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
New York City, New York
“Perfect! Now I know better and I'll ask for a room to the back of the hotel!”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This is a tiny hotel with tiny lobby and rooms with good location and a good value for your money. You enter through a passage on a busy street. It's a little tricky to offload suitcases when you come from the airport but we did it without any drama. We traveled there in March 2012 for my birthday. After a long research, I found this hotel which for the money, it was centrally located and pleasant looking from the photos. When we got there, we were nicely surprised to see that the rooms were very nicely decorated, clean and modern. It was at walking distance to everything and the front desk staff was very polite and accommodating. Very important, the wifi worked great! My only complaints were the breakfast was expensive ($25 per person), the mattress and the noise downstairs. This hotel is next to a bar frequented by young people and if you get a room with view to the street, it will be difficult to sleep until about 3am. The breakfast is no problem because there are lots of places near the hotel to have breakfast. I recommend this hotel and I would definitely stay there again. I just hope they changed the mattress and now I know better and will ask for a room to the back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the back of the hotel to avoid the noisy bar next door.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LATRAVIATA5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I booked the hotel few months earlier via Otel.com, everything was ok. The ratio value - price for the hotel was good.
Typical three star hotel, old but on the great location (15min walking to the Louvre and the Seine). ABout 20 minutes with byc The metro station is nearby, as well as several Velib bycicle stations (truly recommend it if the weather is nice).
Breakfast was very good, cofee, tea, juices, evian water, pastry, croissants, eggs and hams, fruits, yogurts, brie cheese.
The room was not very nice, but ok. Walls and the floor are covered with veneer, even in the bathroom. Sound isolation is lousy, you can hear your neighbours talking. We didn't like that we got the room on the fifth floor, and the elevator didn't work during the time (few months according to the notification). After complaining, we were offered another room on the 3rd floor which was very small, not enough place to pass by the bed even. We were told all other available rooms are the same - too small, so we stayed on the 5th floor. We didn't spend much time in our room so it was not so important.
The staff was polite and helpful (we even printed our bus cards for the airport shuttle at the hotel), wifi was working ok, plenty of restaurants and shops nearby (Galerie Laffayette).
As this was a three star hotel, I didn't expected much, so I was pleased overall. Especially, with the location of the hotel and a good breakfast. I would come there again, if I need a hotel with the good price - location ratio in beautiful Paris.

Room Tip: Ask for the room in lower floors, because elevator never works.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We were there when the lift was not working, and it was a pain to walk up the five flights of stairs, and I saw a few guests that this was definitely a problem for. Was no alerted to this ahead of time, nor given anything in terms of compensation. I also had pre-ordered my Paris Museum pass to be delivered by courier to the hotel the day before my arrival, and when I asked at the desk the gentleman there did not even bother to check if anything was there- he just said no. He was also the only rude person I encountered on our trip. I waited until the next day when someone else was working the desk, who checked the mailbox, where my passes had been sitting and stamped for the day it was delivered, the day before I checked in. Just a lot of small inconveniences that added up and made the overall hotel experience not enjoyable. Good location and neighborhood though.

Room Tip: Our shower was awful- I've had larger showers on cruise ships- but there are rooms with tubs so...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Just returned from a short stay at this lovely Hotel. Absolutely nothing whatsoever to complain about! We would definitely stay here again, it was beautifully clean , polite helpful staff, plentiful breakfast and near the metro! Plenty of restaurants nearby! All you need for a great stay in this beautiful city!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Middlesbrough
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This hotel was very well situated for sightseeing in Paris, close to the Opera where you could get on the open top bus tour and 20 yards from the Grand Boulevard Metro station. Our room 222 was very small but adequate and we didn't spend much time in it. Everything required was there, shower, no bath no tea/coffee making facilities but we were told this was usual for Paris hotels of this type. There were plenty of eating places all around the hotel. All in all I would use this hotel again if we stayed in Paris again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris P
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

I am writing this review in case you have booked to stay in this hotel in the near future because I would strongly recommend you find another. The lift here has not been working for 2 to 3 weeks and is not expected to be working anytime soon. I stayed at the Ronceray with my 71 year old Auntie and my 84 year old Uncle and they had to climb 65 steps to get to their room. It was disgraceful. As you enter the foyer of the hotel there is rubbish of bricks, wood and bags stacked up against one of the walls.
The air conditioning was not working and believe it or not Paris was having a heat wave. I could not leave the patio doors open because of fear of someone walking into the room as it went straight onto a flat roof shared with other rooms. However, I did notice that other people had them open. If I had not been in a room on my own I may been brave enough to have them open. It was extremely difficult to lock the bedroom door. The handle came off the bathroom door of my Aunties room too. I am glad that my Uncle was there to rescue her. There were also lots of minor irritations which I cannot be bothered to list but my advice is find another hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shining-one

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

istanbul
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed in March 2014 with my friends and we had 2 rooms.My hair clip of a luxury brand which I had left in front of the mirror disappeared.My friend who was in the other room found our that her shoes were missing but she thought probably she did not bring them when she was back home she found out that they were really missing because they were not at home and she remembered that she had taken them out of her luggage and put them in the wardrobe in her hotel room.We contacted the hotel manager and her answer was that there were no entries then us and the room maid and the room maid was a person they have been working for a long time and she said she didn't know anything about the missing subjects etc. and the manager was perplexed because she did not have an explanation,She also added that we had to have a report from the police but the problem is that I was not told I had to report to the police if they had told me I would have been to the police not because the value or the missing object but I am very angry to be put in a position like the hotel management and the maid have no responsibility and we are strange women creating stories and spending time on writing messages and making stupid phone calls explaining what happened to the hotel manager.When I searched trip advisor's reviews I found out there is at least one more person who has been robbed and his money has been stolen from his room.Please think twice before you choose this property for your stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends