“Great hotel, friendly staff!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Josephine by HappyCulture

Hotel Josephine by HappyCulture
Ranked #392 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
New York
“Great hotel, friendly staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed at Hotel Josephine with my Mom and sister while visiting Paris. The hotel is great! We stayed in a triple (two twins and a roll away bed). We had plenty of room. The room itself was very clean and had 4 windows (we had a corner room on the 2nd floor). The staff was great and Monica was especially helpful!

I would highly recommend this hotel!

I will address a worry I had:
I was a little worried because some of the reviews said the area was bad. We did not find this to be the case. The area was great. 2 blocks away from the Moulin Rouge and Montmarte. The main road have some sex shops on it, but it's really not an issue. We found it to be very convenient and exciting.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stephenie T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Thai first
Maastricht, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I have been in this hotel during last August. I found a nice deal in the range of 70 eur without breakfast. Supposedly, it is a four star hotel, but the smell of new paint and the incredibly small rooms clearly witness the truth: it is a two star hotel, just painted.

Having said that, my suggestion is to hurry up till the new paint is there. Once it will start scratching, the hotel will fall back to its origins.

A special mention for the Zara wearing personnel, for their attempts to charge us breakfasts we never had and for the in-room coffee machines without coffee.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gattopistoiese
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I have just returned from a stay at this hotel with my Mum - we both loved it and would definitely return there. The hotel is situated two minutes from the Blanche Metro and the amazing Moulin Rouge, which was fantastic for us since we went to a show there on our first night. Other reviewers have mentioned the surrounding area being a bit dodgy, but as two females travelling together, we both felt safe at all times.

The only downsides to our stay were the fact that the room was a little dark and the beds were basically single mattresses on a double bed frame. This was fine for us as mother and daughter, but you may want to be aware of this if you are planning to book a twin room. Also, the Wi-fi on my phone didn't work at all for the two days we were there, but I am sure the staff would have done their best to help me out with this if I had approached them about it.

All in all - a quiet hotel but very convenient for the Metro and the Gard du Nord. the decor was lovely and the place had a homely feel to it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tanya H
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Very pleasant Staff especially the Girl from Mexico. The room although very small was comfortable and had everything you needed. Very good location with access to Blanch Metro which takes you all over. Breakfast was ok ( could have done with more choice) and the room was very nice. All in all good value for the money, I would return again in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TEL064
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

The hotel is located just two blocks off the busy Boulevard de Clichy near the Moulin Rouge and a host of shops and restaurants, in the Montmartre/Pigalle area. It is beautifully appointed, rooms are small but this is Paris, well maintained and with the best shower I have ever had in a number of visits. Staff on the whole were friendly and helpful, with one or two exceptions. Gateway to a vibrant part of a wonderful city.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marant0
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Me and my boyfriend spent 5 days at Hotel Josephine in January, and our stay made our time in Paris so much better!

After seeing the location and the special 30% deal that Hotel Josephine were offering on TripAdvisor, I booked for a 5 night stay in early January of this year. Upon arrival the clerk at the lobby desk was wonderfully pleasant and very helpful. He gave a great list of recommended restaurants in the area and was so polite and cheerful. I had requested a room through the online booking with a good view, or possibly a balcony if they had one, and was subsequently booked into the top floor "double superior" room with a full rooftop porch area! The view was unbelievably breathtaking!

The bed was truly enormous and very comfy, everything in the room was clean and tidy in working order, and the decor was very tasteful. The bathroom only had a bath and very small sectioned-off toilet area, but the actual room and bath itself were huge.

The breakfasts the next morning weren't too expensive at 15EURO each, and they were very pleasant! Delicious traditional pastries, a great range of cereals, cold meats and cheese and good coffee too! The staff working in the breakfast room were always very efficient, friendly and willing to help. The staff on the front desk always wished us a good day when we left each morning and greeted us cheerfully when we arrived back.

The location itself is great, on a quiet street that is only a 2 minute walk from the bustling Boulevard de Clichy. From there, the Metro stations were on fairly central lines that took us to the inner city in around 15-20 mins. If you stay at Hotel Josephine and are looking to dine out nearby, I highly recommend Hotel Amour restaurant - only a 10 minute walk!

The only downsides to our stay was that one night a fire alarm went off at 3am and woke us up, but it was tended to very quickly by the staff. Upon checking out, there was also a mix-up with the payments as a new girl was on the front desk. However, they corrected this straight away without me even having to follow up.

All in all, a beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting. I will most definitely recommend Hotel Josephine to everyone I know, and stay here if I am ever in Paris again in the future!

Room Tip: Maybe it was the less busy time of year, but if you enjoy the parisian balcony then do request one...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Freya M
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

The decor and furnishings at Hotel Josephine are stylish and very much of the inter-war period when Josephine Baker was in her pomp; the reception area is inviting and the staff friendly and well in formed (with excellent English for the monoglots among us). It is just a short walk from the Moulin Rouge and Montmatre. The breakfast is beyond the norm for France - with cooked scrambled eggs supplementing the expected pastries, bread and coffee. So all very good and comfortable. Unfortunately, what disappointed slightly was the size and furnishings of our (6th floor) room - a little congested and sparse!!

Room Tip: I suspect that the 6th Floor is just a floor too many - I think that it should be prewarned and clea...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple