“Neither appealing, nor appalling”

Peletier Haussmann Opera Hotel
Ranked #1,483 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 3 December 2010

You get what you've paid for, then you pay more :) There is an extra charge for everything, including cleaning and drink in minibar, so make sure you keep some extra cash for check out. Breakfast at 6 euro pp (half of a baguette, a croissant, butter and jam, coffee) charged extra. Rooms small and shabby but kept as clean as they can be by helpfull staff. Clean bathroom and fresh towels daily. Great location for amazing food in Rue des Martyrs and great if you want ot walk around the city, which we did and recommend. Very thin walls between the rooms, so noisy neighbours might be a problem, but the receptionists are very helpful and attentive. Paris is very expensive altogether, so you can either get a great room and pay a fortune, or pay less and get what we got, nothing special, but after all you only sleep there anyway.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 November 2010

Very cosy hotel, with the an extremely tiny elevator, but that's just wath's so charming about it! Some of the staff where really great, and took time to explain and recommend where to eat or og. Others where just "normal". Breakfast just ok.
If I don't want to pay more to be able to live closer to the city center next time I go to Paris, I would choose this one again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2010

We wanted to stay close to the Opera Garnier during our recent visit to Paris, France. After reading several reviews, we decided to stay at this hotel. The hotel is located within walking distance to a lot of sites and close to 2 metro stations. Galeries Lafayette, the largest (and a must-see) department store is located only a few blocks away from the hotel. The English-speaking staff was friendly and attentive. However, our room was very small with a very small bathroom. The room was dingy and seemed to be in a great need of refurbishing. The elevator was extremely small...large enough to hold only 2 average size people!! Smallest elevator I have ever seen!!! Will I stay at this hotel again? No. However, it may be ok for very budget-minded people or students travelling on low budget.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Arrived in the morning, stayed 3 nights on the inner side of the building at room 512, level 5. I had read through the reviews about the small lift. It was still a surprise when I experienced it myself. It's not easy to cramp two adults in there. Location wise is still considered well, 2 blocks away from Galleries Lafayette and Printemps & 2 mins walk to Richelieu - Drouot Metro & it's possible to walk to the Lourve in the morning, street-sighting at the shops.

My peeves are lack of a flask to boil water and had to call reception for hot water and had to get it myself and 2 nights were being disturbed by the Parisians right outside my room, they were very rowdy. I got a shock when I got back early to the hotel in the afternoon, it was darkness right after the door from the lift. I had feel my way to the door of my room then I check with reception that I had to turn on the corridor lights myself as they were saving energy. Then while we were in the room, the cleaning lady came in to vacuum the carpet, thought it was done when making up the room?

Tips for those who are staying there.
1. Bring your own bottle to get water, best if you could bring your own flask AND your own mugs, they provide plastic cups.
2. Look out for a switch with a small red light to turn on the corridor's lightings.

Had paid about 320euros for the 3 nights, for such a 2 stars hopefully the rates could be lower.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2010

Please note this is a 2 star hotel. Overall, is ok, but is very small hotel with limited service. The elevator can only fit 2 persons with no ac.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 4 October 2010

I spent two nights in this hotel in June 2010. It was really bad value for money. Far too expensive for what we got. We booked a room really late so all the good deals and cute hotels were already fully booked, and we finished in that one as we selected the hotel according to its situation. So remember that situation is the only good thing about it. There’s an easy access by underground and the “grands magasins” and opera are a short walk away.
The room we had was on the thop floor. It was tiny! So okay it’s Paris, and old buildings all have small rooms, but this one was really small. The cupboard door was broken, the ceiling very low (I actually felt like a giant in a midget’s home) and there was no space whatsoever. The bed was squeaky and the shower wasn’t working very well. At least there was a fan as summer under the roofs can get very hot.
The lift is very small. We were two people with two small bags and we had trouble getting in and out of it. Don’t bother taking the breakfast over there: it consists of a few tables squashed in an area next to the lobby where they serve a croissant and a piece of baguette with not very tempting jams. Walk 5 minutes in any direction and you’ll find something far better.
I do not recommend this place. Go there only if you are desperate; that’s what I did.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2010

If you are looking for a fancy room to spend time in, go elsewhere. If you are looking for an inexpensive place to sleep, with access to public transportation, then this hotel is ideal. As noted before, the bus from Gare du Nord stops almost directly in front of the hotel. There is a Metro stop just around the corner, and several other stations within five minutes walk, with access to different lines. Two main streets cross near the hotel with plenty of shops and food options.
I had a room looking out over a small courtyard. The room was small, but not cramped. This is not a new hotel, so there were some old stains in the carpet, and there was some damage to walls and ceiling. However, these were all merely cosmetic, and the room was clean. The linens and bedding were clean, and I was surprised to have a full sized mattress and not a single mattress.
For what I require from a large city hotel: Clean, not too expensive, and near public transportation, the Peletier hotel was more than acceptable.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo