“Nice hotel, excellent neighborhood, small room (but, hey, this is Paris!)”

Moderne St-Germain Hotel
Ranked #515 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed for a week. The room was new and nicely designed. Quite small, but Paris hotel rooms are almost always small, so this was to be expected and not really a problem. Location is excellent, in walking distance from Ile de la cite and the Louvre, very close to the Seine. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Our room had a very small balcony facing the street which is very useful for smokers.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Moderne St-Germain Hotel

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I just came back from my yearly vacation and choose Paris again. The travel agent in Zurich made the reservation for me. I saw the pictures and decide to give it a shot to Moderne St-Germain Hotel
Is located very close to Notra Dame, excellent for wlaking distance and don't get lost 5 and 10 min. Metro Starions Nearby ( theRER train departs from Luxemburg Station at 10 min form hotel!!! )
The staff were always attentive and helpful. Once I got into the tiny elevator ( yes ther are like that in Paris...hehehe) I went to my room #59 . The room was decorated in red and silver ( is a "design hotel") all the other rooms are decorated differently.
The bed could accommodate 2 ( it was only me) TV with cable in French and English!!! even Spanish channel!!) A desk . FREE WIFI IN THE ROOM!!! You don't have to go to "public areas" to get signal!!!! Ohhhh heaven because it was the first time I bring my laptop!!! That only worth the price of the hotel.
Bathroom....(drums please...) Amazin, small but NEAT with clean amazing towels, shampoo n soap provided. Hair dryer ( it works!!!) A very functional shower very nice!!
A mini-mini bar ( very mini but nice) if you don't consume what's inside is better.
With safe deposit box ( you can program it yourself with your own code!!
My room particularly didn't have street view, it was in the back but I didn't need it . I spend all day long looking the city .
A very well presented complimentary continental breakfast with enough to fill you up for a good rest of the day (served from 7am to 1030am).
Front desk will offer you for a price a van to the airport if you want. wake up call and more. I really like this guys; they were respectful, discrete ( meaning if you say no to some offer they didn't insist)
I am very happy I choose this hotel and I highly recommend it if you want to visit Paris for the first time or if this is your 100. (mine was the 6th)
I am impressed, REALLY IMPRESSED.
And definitely I will try to come back again.MONEY WELL SPENT.
It said at the rating it was a 3 stars.....I give it 10 !!!!

Room Tip: My guess is the double rooms are at the front with street view and the single ones in the back ( lik...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Julio F
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

A very nice hotel, comfortable and very fancy room. The room are not big, but many Paris attractions are so close that there might be time to stay in the room. One of the best place, with very nice tariff. Free wifi in the hotel complete a wonderful staying. I did not try breakfast because nice Boulangeries all around.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed last year for a week and it was okay. This year's stay was really good. The front desk hosts were helpful and professional. My room was comfortable, clean and quiet. The showers have great water pressure and housekeeping is thorough. The Moderne St-Germain is a very nice hotel in a great location. And it's a great value.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank marien344
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Let me start by saying that I don't usually stay at hotels or resorts that are rated less than 85% on T.A. This was NOT my choice of hotel: My friend booked, and got a "are you serious?!" when I saw the 66% recommended rating on TA. My expectations were far from high prior to my stay, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised!

The staff was friendly enough, spoke just enough english to communicate with us non-french speaking folk. Hotel is in an area set back from the busy main streets, but not an inconvenient walk by any means.

The rooms I thought were spacious enough for Paris. The room was equipped with a double & single bed, a small desk & chair and decent sized bathroom with nice glass shower. The decor is certainly tacky, I suppose the thought was "modern" when designed. Clean bedding & towels. Nice sized flat screen television hung on the wall with several channels to choose from.

The washroom was designed with a fair sized glass shower (no tub), small sink (not much counter space) and an area you could use for hanging clothing, etc. They provided Yves Rocher bath products.

I suppose I could get finicky and tell you that some of the tile grout was not completed, or completed sloppily. Some was a bit worn in the corners, however all in all, nothing that disgusted me so much I wouldn't stay there.

We had room #18 (first floor of rooms, second floor of the building). Three large windows that open, with iron bars covering the windows so that nobody can come into the room. MAJOR complaint: The Air Conditioning stopped working the 1st night (it was about 35 degrees that day) and the hotel employee didn't have another room or solution for us. Not impressed. The second night, the employee told us that the AC had been fixed...maybe...(whatever that means)...so we tried it, working minimally - then quit. The system is worn and probably needs replacing. We were not offered any type of compensation for the inconvenience.

Breakfast is continental - with selection of juice, water, coffee or tea. Toast, croissant, yogurts, cereal and cheese was available. Considering coffee & toast for 2 is between $25 - $30 Canadian, this was a nice option! Clean and modern dining room. There was a large pink rabbit in the room....I don't get it, but certainly added a topic of conversation!

Overall - this isn't the best place in Paris by any stretch, however it was clean, decent location and priced at about $250/night Canadian for a weekend. I would say it was deserving of more than a 66% rating on TA...just my opinion!

Room Tip: Room #18 faces into an alleyway that can get quite rowdy on the weekend as it is used as a short cut...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank A1515
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The location of this hotel is great, on the left bank in Saint Germaine with it's quaint shops, close to Notre Dame and The Latin Quarters with all it's restaurants.
However we also booked this as we liked this designer boutique hotel look, looking at the photos it looks like a very cool arty modern hotel.
However the rooms thoroughly disappointed, extremely small, and where the nice design rooms shown on the website are is anybody's guess. Quite old looking, bathrooms are tiny, hairdryer terrible, toiletries very low quality, luckily we brought our own.
And although it states all rooms have mini bars ours did not nor did our friends room. The bed although very small was comfortable and this was the highlight.
We did not try the restaurant, free Wi-Fi was good and the reception staff were polite.
I would not recommend this hotel as there are plenty of hotels in the area and I am sure you will be able to find a better one for the same price.

Room Tip: Obviously must pay for a suite or something similar to get a good room as ours was not very good at...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AnnaKTU
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I've long loved the quartier where this hotel is located, and wanted to return there again whilst working elsewhere in Paris, and meeting colleagues and friends in the evenings. I found this place on the web, and got a good rate for my room. The accommodation was very clean, tidy, well-organized, with a big-screen tv, and wifi included in the rate. The small shower and toilet room was big enough, squeaky clean, and private. The hotel was quiet at night, and the bed was excellent. Breakfast at 12 Euros was ample, but too expensive for me, so I went to boulangeries and bistrots in the neighborhood. The staff were professional, friendly, helpful, well-informed. If you're right on the street (rue des Ecoles) you may find the room awfully warm, unless you're prepared to leave the window open and contend with street noise. The room could really have used extra sockets for plugs. There was but one, very inconvenient for using a cell phone and portable computer which needed to be recharged. The location is ideal for going anywhere in Paris, and the neighborhood is perfect for strolling, dining out, and sight-seeing.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, either high up, or at the back.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business