“It's special hotel...not for everyone”

Quality Hotel Abaca Messidor Paris
Ranked #775 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Toronto, Canada
“It's special hotel...not for everyone”
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Booked this 3.5 star hotel because another 4 star hotel was fully booked. I'm the kind of person that would pay more for quality, so looking at the pictures before heading over here I was ready to cry. The lobby is just as tiny as it looks. The open area is tinier than my bedroom back at home. The elevator was even tinier - if you don't want to feel like a sardine in a can, please just limit it to 2 people and their suitcase. Without the suitcase, 4 people is pushing it already. The elevator was not modern, it had a gate that you need to open to get out. Although very cool, I often took the stairs up and down since I only lived on the 3rd or 4th floor (don't remember). But I'm glad there was free wifi in the lobby, it was still accessible downstairs in the breakfast room so I got to check my email while enjoying my lackluster breakfast. Expect nothing but cafeteria-style eggs, bacon/sausage, and some variety of pastries. There was also canned fruit and your regular selection of cereal, very limited yogurt and milk. There was 3 juice available: orange, apple and a fruitmix. Would've liked more hot food choice.

The room itself was verrrry small. We had 2 twin beds and it was very tight for 2 people to walk around. The tv was small, surprise! It was hung up on the wall like UP there so was a little hard to see and had very little selection of English channel. BBC World News was my regular, mostly because it was the only English channel. The AC was self controlled and very nice during hot and sweaty August. Worked like a charm. The bed was nicely made everyday. The washroom was a shocker. It was surprisingly very nicely renovated and pretty clean compared to the overall feel of the hotel. The blanket was of cheap quality and that would be the only thing I have complains for, along with the size of the room (and yes tv too... on a first world problem basis). But the room honestly surpassed my expectations.

Check-in was slow. We got there at around 10am and asked how long it would take to have our rooms ready. They said an maybe hr or 2 so we decided to wait and catch up on some Zzzzs since we just got off our 7hr flight. We ended up waiting until 1pm, if I had known, I definitely would've went out for those 3 hrs and came back. Although I wouldn't feel quite comfortable leaving my luggage in the shabby closet unattended by staff.

The location is pretty convenient, right by the subway station and there was a lively bar across from the subway exit so it didn't feel unsafe at night (although I would still walk a little faster anyways). The door is locked at night so you'd have to wait for the night manager to open the door for you once you ring the doorbell. I guess the security surpasses the inconvenience. You also don't get to take your key outside the hotel - it's a pick up and drop off system. The BUS on the other hand, wow I had no idea they don't run the same return stops on the way back. That would've been helpful to know when reading their self made handbook for directions to tourist destinations from their hotel. I got lost coming back from the Eiffel Tower by bus at night and it was definitely a downer.

The staff was very friendly though, especially the skinny young woman on morning and day shifts. She was very helpful to us tourists and it was probably the best thing about the hotel.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms may be bigger but is older (and no AC!)
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank starryxskies

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Woodstock, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Just spent a week at this hotel and had a very good experience. The staff were helpful and friendly. The room was indeed very small (as was the elevator not much bigger than a phone booth) but I understand that this is very true with most European hotels. Wish they would have had internet actually in the room without extra charge, but it wasn't too much of a hardship to go down to the lobby. (except the one time I was on Skype with my kids and was a little too loud due to the excitement of seeing them and was asked to quiet down by the man at the desk) Our bathroom was just fine in size and it was kept very clean. The very best part of the hotel was that Monoprix wasright next door. A department store with a full service grocery store in the basement. Anything you needed including hot meals (lasagna, the best Beef bourguignon, small whole cooked chickens and lots of other choices) you could take back to your room and which saved us a ton of money. Paris restaurants are very expensive. The metro station right on the corner (Convention) about a 30 second walk away. The breakfast was okay, we had been spoiled with the hotel in London the week before. They have a cute little garden but 1)it rained a lot that week, and 2)you cannot drink or eat in it unless you buy THEIR bar drinks or food, so we didn't bother using it. With all the tourism from North America and Britain, they should rethink only having two English speaking channels on their TV though (CNN international and BBC international). We actually resorted to watching a couple of programs in another language a few times, we were sick of the same news over and over and over again. On the whole, I would stay there again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jan and Gregg S
Larvik, Norway
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Stayed there for 2 nights. It claimes to be a 3 star hotel. Rubbish. Maximum 2 stars. If I had known the state of the hotel, I would never have gone there. Had a small room in the 7th floor, close to the elevator. Noisy, small bathroom, no wardrobe. Only the bed to sit in comfotably. I stayed there because of the proximity to the auto show, and that is probably the only good thing about the hotel. Took med 8 min to go down to Porte de Versailles. Also there are a Monoprix next door to the hotel. Will not recommend anyone to use the hotel, unless you can get it very cheap.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank HenrikJ68
ontario
Reviewed 4 September 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week stay at this hotel. I had a mixed experience with the hotel but overall, enjoyed my stay.

Property overview: This is in the 15e and it is steps away from the metro and two wonderful restaurants. The crepe and bistro on the corner is wonderful-excellent Crepes Suzette. Don't bother with the sushi restaurants around the neighbourhood-go elsewhere. It is in a busy neighbourhood with lots to do, but it borders on also Pasteur street which, is not as nice.
The front is nice and lobby a bit shabby, could use some updating there. The room we first had was very small-603, I believe. If possible, ask for a room in the garden, or over that-it overlooks a courtyard. I looked at the map of all the rooms and after asking (and paying through the nose) for an upgrade, we snagged our room, 801, which was beautiful. It looks like it is the largest room in the hotel, or close. The rooms are Euro small, and simple updating. The mattresses are okay....not the greatest but linens and such, overall cleanliness was wonderful and no concerns.
Staff were pleasant and helpful most of the time, and spoke good english.

Breakfast: We had ours included in our package. I forgot to take photos of the breakfast room but it is updated from the photos someone had on here. Hardwood floors, modern, small tables. It is a nice breakfast area and features:
orange juice, apple juice, hot milk, coffee, selection of teas, croissants, pastries, bread, baguettes, ham, cheeses, yoghurt, cereals, eggs, bacon, fresh apricots, prunes, nuts, jams, etc.

For day trippers who spent 8 plus hours wandering around and didnt eat anything but a big breakfast and then dinner, I dont understand the complaining about the price on here. 15 euros is pretty reasonable for the rack buffet rate-and its all you can eat so stock up, keep full all day then have a late bistro dinner. A crepe or whatever is at least 8 euro...so again, Ithink the breakfast rate is very good.

The AC unit in 801 kept making loud noises through the night and I completely forgot to let front desk know. However ,this resulted in some disrupted sleep as I am a light sleeper, and it sounded like someone was opening the door so, you can imagine that would make one jump awake in a strange hotel room.

Room Tip: Choose a garden view room as it overlooks a courtyard. I tried to upload a photo but its not worki...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank townandcountrygirl
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 August 2012

A most unexpected walk to our room. Fronting the main road this hotel is built back away from the noise. You walk down a covered walk way through a small garden.
Yes there are flights of stairs to drag up your luggage, Yes the room are not big. But they were clean and well fitted out and away from any noise.
Car parking is across the street (29 euro) in a small cramped park.
WiFi was included and it worked fine.
Only 1 or 2 nights or the walls will close in.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Grumpy_Old_Traveler
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I reserved a single room. They gave me a room with a double bed. That would have been great if it was not because the room was so small. There was no space for much else and I had to be walking around the bed to get anywhere in the room. There was no space for putting a TV and the TV was hung up high on the wall. The furnitures were very old and worn. They made me feel uncomfortable. I even paid 160 euro for one of the nights. I thought that was too expensive for the quality. The only nice thing was the bathroom because it was big and clean. The hallways were also old. The service offered by the staff also varied. A few were fine but one lady was cold. When I asked her to help me placed a call because I could not speak French, she did it but acted very reluctantly.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Popular-traveller
hamilton ontario, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My Husband and i went for our Honeymoon, we got there and spoke with a very nice lady at the front desk. We asked her how much for an upgrade, she said they had already upgraded us to a Garden View room. We did have to lug our luggage up 3 flights of stairs, however the room was very clean, and very quiet. Given the Room was small, we made it work as most hotels in Europe are smaller. I liked the breakfast, my husband not so much. Both the ladies on the desk spoke great english and were very helpful, however the gentleman on in the evening and into the early morning was rude and cranky!! We loved the area, as there was Mcdonalds, Subway, KFC for the bigger names and Cafe Convention down the way and an amazing bakery accross the street. My Huband took an hour to really learn and understand the Metro with the lady at the front desk, so we used the Metro (subway) everyday, it was quick, easy and cheap. We even rode it at 11 at night. The Convention Metro is literally one mintue down the street. Theres a grocery store down the street as well, which was helpful for snacks and drinks. I agree with some of the previous views that the garden didnt have much to it and not too many people sat out there, however with running around the city all day, i think most people go to bed when they get back! We did walk to the eiffle tower from our Hotel Room one day and it took about an hour, but we took our time and stopped.
Very happy with out stay and our Location, we would stay here again for sure!

Room Tip: make sure you ask for a garden view room is you would like it quiet!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple