“Comfortable, good location, lovely staff”

Best Western Hotel Le Montparnasse
Ranked #1,315 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Melbourne, Australia
“Comfortable, good location, lovely staff”
Reviewed 15 February 2013

We stayed in Montparnasse for 4 nights In January. Best Western was situated in the heart of Montparnasse, with easy walk to many restuarants, public transport and within walking distance to the eiffel tower and other main attractions. We stepped off the metro and it was right there! The staff were were friendly and spoke good english which relly helped us. Rooms were smallish, but comfortable as we didnt spend a great deal of time in the rooms, and for the price they were great. One of the days we werent given any towels in our room by the staff, we received floor mats instead! We made do with them but would have been nice to have fresh towels after a long day of sightseeing!
We had breakfast in the hotel one morning, we were a little confused if we were having the express breakfast or the buffet breakfast, as it was not asked of us which one we wanted, we were just seated and served. Turns out it was buffet but didnt find out until later on, so it was more expensive. But a nice breakfast. The other mornings we ate out for breakfast. It was very cold the days we stayed in Paris, the hotel provided us with umbrellas which were very useful. We were a bit concerned about being a little bit away from everything, but if you are prepared to do some walking back and forth (30 min walk to Eiffel Tower), or pay for regular metro rides, its a great place to stay.
It is located right above the metro, so you could often hear the trains leaving the stations which was a little annoying, luckily it didnt go on into the night so didnt cause us to miss out on any sleep, but if you are looking for a quiet location, this may not be the one for you.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Gypsy
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I stay in Paris a lot and have experienced a huge diversity of service and quality over the years, this Best Western is tidy, friendly, way smaller than it makes out to be but adequate for a short weekend break. Friendly staff who try, very clean, well equipped but very small rooms and a basic continental breakfast which is a little over priced.

Much better hotels available a little closer to the river if you want some true French boutique chic.

Oh. And I got stuck in the lift, which apparently has 'issues' most weekends I was told. Did mean I took the 4 flights of steep, narrow stairs for most of the weekend.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Martyn P
The Hague, Netherlands
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Location: This hotel is ideally located to visit places of attraction in central Paris. Metro Station Montparnasse Bienvenue is a 5 minute walk from the hotel. You can also take the bus from the bus stop nearby the hotel to Eiffel tower and the nearby attractions.

Hotel Room: The hotel room is very very small. If you are a couple and you have luggage, it will be difficult to move around the room. The room also does not have any storage space. However the room was quite clean. Bathroom too is quite small. Basic toiletries provided. In the room that i stayed, the glass panel to the shower did not shut completely and hence every time we took bath there was a pool of water on the floor.

Amenities: This is a very basic hotel. One issue that i had was that though they advertise/claim that they have coffee machine in the rooms, they do not have it in all rooms. I had to make my coffee in the lobby downstairs.

Staff: The staff really make the difference to the otherwise basic hotel. They are very friendly and helpful.

Conclusion: Location is great, staff very friendly, however would recommend only if you get this hotel at a deal price.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank KumarMallish
Caroline J, Directeur général at Best Western Hotel Le Montparnasse, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Dear MallishKumar,
Thank you for this very good review.
We have nespresso machine in all the room but sometimes we nedd to fixe them.
Best regards.
Las Vegas
Reviewed 1 January 2013

If you have read any of my other reviews, I am HUGE on hotel cleanliness. Well, this hotel was very clean, AND a huge bonus was that this was our first time in Paris and we were concerned about the hospitality of the locals, but didn't have to be. The staff was wonderful to us and even gave us some pointers on speaking to people around the city. I knew the neighborhood would be great due to the reviews, but it was SO close to EVERYTHING. Don't be afraid to walk (you will miss out on the charm of Paris if you are). The rooms and the elevator, of course, are small, but everything we needed was there and it wasn't a big deal. And take the stairs for some exercise :-)

Room Tip: City view rooms are great. And if the room description says it can only fit 2 people, believe it (e...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Team P
Caroline J, Directeur général at Best Western Hotel Le Montparnasse, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Dear Team,
Many thanks for your comment !
All the staff wish you again a happy new year for 2013 !
Regards.
New York
Reviewed 18 October 2012 via mobile

I rarely am stunned by the politeness of people in the service industry in France, but the woman at the front desk here was super nice. She rushed the preparation of our room since we were early, made us espressos on the house while we waited and stored our extra bags. She also arranged a shuttle to cdg and retrieved our forgotten camera from the shuttle. The rooms are nice, very clean, and small - but not annoyingly so. I'd definitely come back.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Mvk422
Sydney
Reviewed 8 October 2012

The hotel was very modern and clean, lift and room were small but comfortable with all new decor and bedding, also the window opened out to street which was great.
I would recommend this hotel and location, advantage was the open top bus stop is right out side our door which was a great way to see Paris.

Room Tip: Room is a little small but new and clean
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barbie O
Caroline J, Directeur général at Best Western Hotel Le Montparnasse, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear Barbie,
Many thanks for your review !
I hope I have the pleasure of seeing you again for your next trip in Paris.
Best regards.
london
Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

Ok.. On paper this hotel has everything going for it..
Lovely rooms
Great location
Friendly staff

But my stay was unfortunately marred by the fact there was no hot water... at all. I could have been camping. The management should have been all over this problem as this is a primary function of a city hotel. They appeared invisible! Even for an apology. Not only this buy there were also several Mosquitos in my fresh room.. And it was cold September. additionally, 20 minutes before I was due to check out, with my things still in my room.. I return to find it being cleaned?! A little cheeky no?
For 199euros this was a a bit much (i was on business), I got 30euros off for the inconvenience. If i had been paying myself I would have demanded much more.
I could have been unlucky.. and probably was, but I would not risk it again. Sorry.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank ddlp
Caroline J, Directeur général at Best Western Hotel Le Montparnasse, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Dear Guest,
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for all the inconvenient during your stay.
This problem does not happen often in the hotel but It is not comfortable having a cold shower.
If I can do something more do not hesitate to contact me.
Regards.
Caroline.

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels