“Take bad reviews to heart...I did not and I REGRET!!!!”

Victoires Opera Hotel
Ranked #1,297 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Take bad reviews to heart...I did not and I REGRET!!!!”
Reviewed 2 July 2011

BEWARE: Liars and theives is an understatement. Charged us 15 euros more per ride to airport and pocketed money. Habib made an additional 60 euro (and at 1.70 dollars/euro that is significant).Habib and Anna, the receptionists CAN NOT BE TRUSTED!!. Do not be captivated by location which is SUPERB! You will be ripped off and leave Paris with the taste of a sewer in your mouth. Room rates are arbitrary and from what I gathered all the rooms are the same, give or take 1 or 2 square feet. I have intricate story that involves messed up reservations, airport transfers that were over charged, and over charging for rooms, but I don't want to waste any more time on these problems, enough of my vacation has been tainted!!! Just listen, because I didn't and I regret, DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!! if you want to leave Paris with a positive feeling for the city and the people.

Room Tip: Street side rooms noisy into the night
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank doghouse6

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2011

As others, I turned up, was told they had only just, that morning, found my booking and that I would be taken to the Golden Tulip hotel.

I said i didn't want this, that the new location didn't suit me, and could I please simply cancel my booking and go eslewhere. The man on reception was unhelpful and said this was not possible. I had booked through a eurostar train plus hotel package two weeks earlier and the money had been taken from my account on the same day. Luckily this company have agreed to refund me and have apologised. I am confident that if I had booked direct with hotel I would not have been given a refund.

I can't comment on the hotel as i didn't get past reception but it's absolutely teeny and the man on reception gives off no sense of honesty or politeness.

I went to the Novotel which is in an even better location, much more spacious and cheaper.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank ladyfromwestlondon

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2011

We booked in to this hotel for 2 couples for 10 nights each, and provided our credit card numbers as security. What we didn't realize, is that deposits were taken from from the cards each for $2,500AUD without our authority. We then had a family illness that prevented us from travelling at this time, and after giving 7 WEEKS notice, the hotel did not want to refund us our deposits they kept insisting we move the dates to another time, Being from Australia, and with a family illness to deal with, we were planning to return to Paris but had not idea when, so we insisted as we have given so much notice, our deposits should be returned as per their terms and conditions. This was a nightmare- not only did they refuse to repay our deposits, we had to go through our banks in Australia and finally my bank credited me back, not because the hotel agreed, but because my bank agreed with me that the hotel not paying me back my deposit was fraudulent. Most disturbingly, my father was ripped off for his entire deposit $2,500 AUD and it was extremely upsetting for all of us.
NO matter what he tried with his bank, and more than 50 emails back and forth to the management, nothing was forthcoming.
We have been trying to get this money owed back to us ever since, and we have even been into the hotel in person, and when confronted with our situation the "language barrier" proved to be an issue, even though we had a fluent French speaker with us. I demanded they refund our card there and then, and they said this was not possible, and we needed to speak to the manager- we made three appointments to see the manager, all of which he never showed up to, and the phone calls they promised he would make back to us never happened. They just wanted to wipe their hands of us, and lied to us continually to make us think that we would be refunded as was our right.
The hotel operators should have their licence revoked, and they should never be allowed to operate in the hospitality industry again.
I urge anyone contemplating staying here to take warning from what happened to us, as this caused our family much anxiety and we are still as angry as ever that this can happen to well-meaning honest people like ourselves. The operators of this hotel are blatant rip off merchants and should not be allowed to operate.

Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
8 Thank swantrip76
London
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Booked the hotel for 2 separate stays in Jan and Feb for business.
Know the area well. Lived in Montorgueil for 5 years in the 1990s
Got a room for Jan trip and the old classic "plumbing problem" in Feb with switch to Washington Tulip Opera.

Should have read reviews here before booking. Will never go there again.

Hotel is worn out. Rooms are the smallest I've seen. Built around the bed. Bathroom probably a meter square. Breakfast served in cellar. No air.

There are far better hotels in the area. It should be closed down.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank kenitovitch
Amsterdam
Reviewed 19 January 2011

Good things about the hotel: Location, Cleanliness, Sort of feels like a design-hotel as the room looked very nice from an aesthetic point of view.

Problems with the hotel: Terribly uncomfortable bed and pillows. Plus it was just off an extremely busy street with very old windows, so it was extremely noisy at night.

For the price, I'd stay elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Wanderfool44
Hillsborough, California
Reviewed 17 November 2010

The location of this hotel is fantastic. Rue Montorgueil is a darling picturesque street with lots of cafes, shops, and charm. The service was very kind, especially from Anna at the front desk, who was extremely helpful in making dinner reservations and taxi service. We were part of a group that had 4 rooms at the hotel and none of us experienced the type of scam outlined in other reviews. Our standard room was across from the elevator near the back of the hotel but was very quiet and clean. It was not a large room but seemed reasonable for the price. Enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 22 October 2010

This hotel is home to one of the rudest and most incompetent receptionists I have ever encountered. He is also a thief and overcharged us for our rooms - he charged us for superior rooms even tough we only had standard rooms. Full story below:

I was in Paris for business and had 2 rooms booked at the Golden Tulip Washington Opera Hotel and credit card details had been provided to secure the booking (costs was 245 euros per room). We arrived at 11:30pm and were told that notwithstanding that we had bookings there were no rooms available for us but that we would instead be staying at Hotel Victoire Opera. We were essentially told we had no choice in the matter because credit card details had been taken to secure our booking and payment was made. The hotel receptionist made no apology for the inconvenience of getting a cab to the hotel and then having no room available for us and having to go elsewhere. He just shrugged and made little attempt to assist. We were told we could walk to the Hotel Victoire Opera and were provided with a card for the replacement hotel with a map on the back. We had luggage and it was late so the hotel did eventually agree to pay for a cab to the Hotel Victoire Opera - which was lucky because it was certainly not walking distance from the hotel (the cab fare was 9.80 euros so it was a few km away).

We arrived at the Hotel Victoire Opera. The receptionist was not particularly helpful but we explained the issue and he saw our reservations from the Golden Tulip Washington Opera Hotel. We were checked in to 2 standard rooms. The tariff for the rooms was clearly visible at reception as costing 215 euros per room per night. In the morning the receptionist said we were required to pay for our rooms. We had understood that payment had already been made but we were then told that was not correct and that the card had been used merely to guarantee our room at the Golden Tulip Washington Opera Hotel - (ironic given that in fact had our room been guaranteed then we would have had a room at the hotel where we actually had a booking). After much debate the receptionist insisted that we make payment for our rooms. To add insult to the injury the receptionist insisted on charging us the rooms at 245 euros per night. The receptionist admitted that we had only been given rooms costing 215 euros per night but as the reservation slips we had at Golden Tulip Washington Opera Hotel (a completely different hotel) said 245 euros per room then that is what he charged us for our rooms. He was rude, unhelpful, inflexible and a terrible example of customer service. He is also a thief - there is an overcharge of 60 euros which we will be seeking to get refunded.

And, the final icing on the cake, involves our 8am cab. We were waiting in reception for our cab. At nearly 8:10am there was still no cab and we asked the receptionist about it. He said he had called a cab at 8am but could not get through to a company so was trying another company and it would be with us by 8:30am. Luckily a cab arrived a bit earlier or we would have risked missing our train and getting caught in peak hour traffic. We were furious that a receptionist did not appreciate that a cab which we required for 8am would need to be called by him before 8am. Again, there was no apology. We will not be using either hotel again!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business