“Beware”

Ranked #1,298 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“Beware”
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We booked a junior suite and were given a very small double room - they insisted that it was a suite and it was small because it was a boutique hotel. Looking at the plans for all the rooms it was clearly one of the smallest rooms in the hotel and certainly not a suite. Normally you can check the room tariff in France on a notice on the door but the price had been cut out of the notice. We were moved to a larger room for the last night, still with no price on the door - see photo, and given a refund but the whole experience was unpleasant. With a different manager the hotel would be fine.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Jon H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We love the rue Montorgueil area, so the hotel couldn't be better located.
We've been to Paris more than a dozen times, and I'd read other reviews that mentioned the small rooms, but we were shocked with the very small size of what was described as a Junior Suite. We were in room 200, and it was located at the rear of the hotel so it was quiet and dark so great for sleep ins after a night out, but there's no way you could describe this as a junior suite. We certainly didn't have a dressing-room and toilets separate from the bathroom or a small sitting-room area as described on the website.
The rooms (as well as being small) are looking tired, we were disappointed with the service (it wasn't warm, welcoming or helpful), and the breakfast is poor value at €15 when you compare this to what you get out on rue Montorgueil (much better quality bread and croissants, freshly squeezed juice, scrambled eggs, etc).
My advice - don't stay here. You'll find much better value elsewhere.

Room Tip: At the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Shaun C

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Paris, France
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I had booked this hotel despite some of the unfavourable reviews a few days ago hoping I will have better luck and as the location seems to be excellent. A day after booking I was informed that the hotel was full but they have kindly found me another establishment a good 15 minute taxi ride away. I chose not to accept this which is when the trouble started.Any cancellation on my part will incur 395 euros in charges as cancelling a hotel which I did not signup for falls under the same terms and conditions. At this point neither the hotel or booking.com are willing to address the issue. All in all avoid this hotel,its a scam and apparently one that has been going on for a couple of years now.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank Damien d
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 September 2012

This recommendation is based on customer service. Didn't actually stay in this hotel becos the apartment we booked around the corner failed to meet us and provide entry when we arrived at 1 am. This was the closest nice hotel in the area, and while fully booked the night staff phoned around to see if they could fine something. He was amazing and so incredibly helpful.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Great location but do not expect much from your room. We had room 1. Very small with smaller bathroom. Location was very good though. V near metro and the famous Chartier cafe/restaurant? Wifi on ground floor only. Didn't bother with eating breakfast at hotel. Went to cafes on rue poissonierre

Room Tip: Not sure what rest of rooms were like but avoid room 1
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank F3011
Reviewed 7 September 2012 via mobile

This hotel was excellently located, had. Great helpful staff, and had great restaurants on the street below. The metro was close and was very easy to use. We'll definitely sta here the next time we come to Paris!! By the way, we stayed on the bZck side and it was plenty quite. The rooms were a little small, but they gave us a free upgrade.

• Stayed August 2012
London
Reviewed 3 September 2012

My wife and I spent one night in this hotel. The location is very good in the 2nd arrondisement in Paris on a street lined with great cafes, bars, shops, patisseries and the like. However, the hotel itself was a terrible disappointment.

While the rooms and decor were average, the hotel staff need to understand what 'good customer experience' means. My sense is that the manager/director of the hotel works remotely and frankly is not interested in how customers experience his hotel. To give you a few examples:

Our 'deluxe' room had a safety box with an alarm that beeped regularly; after numerous calls to the front desk, the problem was not getting resolved. After a few hours, my wife eventually suggested that we change rooms, and she was given a new key from the receptionist who was not apologetic at all; she entered the new room to find that it had not been cleaned or serviced (this was around 7 pm in the evening). We eventually were given another room, which was smaller, but did not have an erratic safety box alarm (one of the staff mentioned that the alarm on the safety had been a problem for a few days, but nothing seemed to be done).

There is free wifi in the hotel, but it took me four attempts to 'get connected'; the woman on the front desk needed to 'switch it on', but somehow she couldn't get my surname to align with my room number so that every time I tried to connect, I would receive an error message.

We must have wasted over an hour of our personal time getting such basics sorted (we were only staying overnight); in the morning, I received a stern 'you must check out by 11 am' message from the same woman at the front desk. When I said that we needed a bit of extra time and that it would be more like 11:30, the response was a very cold one. When I said that we had so many frustrations with the hotel and the experience, I was told that we should take it up directly with the director of the hotel (who was not there); we were given a blank sheet of paper to write down our complaints (my son, who was there at the time and is fluent in French, was asked to translate on the page).

Numerous times there was no one at the front desk, which led us to believe that the hotel is also poorly staffed. The irony is that the hotel has the potential to be a very good hotel, but the staff, and I sense more the management of the hotel, really don't seem to care about customer service issues.

We paid 275 euros for the room and experience, and we have done so much better. Overall, the hotel is pretty average, but I have given it a low rating because of the problems and the way the staff handled each situation. This is not a customer friendly hotel, so be warned if you decide to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple