“Delightful”

Ranked #1,295 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Hillsborough, California
“Delightful”
Reviewed 17 November 2010

The location of this hotel is fantastic. Rue Montorgueil is a darling picturesque street with lots of cafes, shops, and charm. The service was very kind, especially from Anna at the front desk, who was extremely helpful in making dinner reservations and taxi service. We were part of a group that had 4 rooms at the hotel and none of us experienced the type of scam outlined in other reviews. Our standard room was across from the elevator near the back of the hotel but was very quiet and clean. It was not a large room but seemed reasonable for the price. Enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 22 October 2010

This hotel is home to one of the rudest and most incompetent receptionists I have ever encountered. He is also a thief and overcharged us for our rooms - he charged us for superior rooms even tough we only had standard rooms. Full story below:

I was in Paris for business and had 2 rooms booked at the Golden Tulip Washington Opera Hotel and credit card details had been provided to secure the booking (costs was 245 euros per room). We arrived at 11:30pm and were told that notwithstanding that we had bookings there were no rooms available for us but that we would instead be staying at Hotel Victoire Opera. We were essentially told we had no choice in the matter because credit card details had been taken to secure our booking and payment was made. The hotel receptionist made no apology for the inconvenience of getting a cab to the hotel and then having no room available for us and having to go elsewhere. He just shrugged and made little attempt to assist. We were told we could walk to the Hotel Victoire Opera and were provided with a card for the replacement hotel with a map on the back. We had luggage and it was late so the hotel did eventually agree to pay for a cab to the Hotel Victoire Opera - which was lucky because it was certainly not walking distance from the hotel (the cab fare was 9.80 euros so it was a few km away).

We arrived at the Hotel Victoire Opera. The receptionist was not particularly helpful but we explained the issue and he saw our reservations from the Golden Tulip Washington Opera Hotel. We were checked in to 2 standard rooms. The tariff for the rooms was clearly visible at reception as costing 215 euros per room per night. In the morning the receptionist said we were required to pay for our rooms. We had understood that payment had already been made but we were then told that was not correct and that the card had been used merely to guarantee our room at the Golden Tulip Washington Opera Hotel - (ironic given that in fact had our room been guaranteed then we would have had a room at the hotel where we actually had a booking). After much debate the receptionist insisted that we make payment for our rooms. To add insult to the injury the receptionist insisted on charging us the rooms at 245 euros per night. The receptionist admitted that we had only been given rooms costing 215 euros per night but as the reservation slips we had at Golden Tulip Washington Opera Hotel (a completely different hotel) said 245 euros per room then that is what he charged us for our rooms. He was rude, unhelpful, inflexible and a terrible example of customer service. He is also a thief - there is an overcharge of 60 euros which we will be seeking to get refunded.

And, the final icing on the cake, involves our 8am cab. We were waiting in reception for our cab. At nearly 8:10am there was still no cab and we asked the receptionist about it. He said he had called a cab at 8am but could not get through to a company so was trying another company and it would be with us by 8:30am. Luckily a cab arrived a bit earlier or we would have risked missing our train and getting caught in peak hour traffic. We were furious that a receptionist did not appreciate that a cab which we required for 8am would need to be called by him before 8am. Again, there was no apology. We will not be using either hotel again!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank RachelAnnabelA

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 18 October 2010

This was by far the worst hotel experience for the price of €345 per night (incl. breakfast). The service is terrible and the staff is rude and utterly unpleasant. The location is undoubtedly good, walking distance from the Louvre and is located on a cobble stone street with a number of cafes and restaurants, however the price and the service made the whole stay rather aggravating.

We arrived in the afternoon and checked into our room (room 202), which was facing the cobble stone street, we didn't think much of the room upon check in, dropped our bags and were on our way to explore Paris. We did however notice that one of the windows was semi-open and was not closing properly, and before leaving the hotel asked the front desk to fix it. Once we got back to the hotel at about 11pm, we went into our room only to find that the window was not fixed, there was a lot of noise coming from the street from the people in the cafes, it was terribly cold, the air conditioning was not working, and we had to sit in our jackets for about 30 minutes until the Manager at the front desk brought us extra blankets, and while we were waiting for the blankets he came up to the room to tell us that we had an unreasonable complaint, and that the room was perfectly warm, and that the air conditioning should make it hot in no time. When we asked to move us to a different room, the Manager said that the hotel is fully booked and there are no other rooms available. We were persistent in wanting to change rooms, and in about 15 minutes he said that he might have another spare room, but said that he has to wait for 20 minutes to see if the guests that have reserved that room would be checking in. When we told him that given that we are already here he should provide the service to us on a first come first serve basis, but he said that he can not do that and left.

Finally, when we waited for an additional 20 minutes (it was already past midnight), I went down to the front desk to see if the Manager was actually doing anything about our situation. When I asked him, it seemed to me that he completely forgot that there was anyone else that was supposed to be checking into the hotel, and decided to show me another room for us to use. The room was one floor lower (room 102), exactly in the same location as the previous one, and had all the same problems: windows not closing properly, lots of noise and very cold. I told him that this was absolutely ridiculous to offer us the same room on a different floor, and told him that there was absolutely no way we would stay at this hotel if we do not get a better room. The Manager told us there is another room facing the courtyard, however in order for us o move into that room we would have to clean up the room we were currently staying in. This was shocking to hear, especially for the price of 345 Euro that we were paying, and given that we only used one hand towel in the bathroom. In order not to freeze during the night, we said that we are willing to tidy up the room before he moves us. We were then escorted to a warm room on the third floor (room 304).

In the morning we went to get breakfast in the hotel since it was already included in the price. The breakfast is definitely much lower standard than in any typical Parisian hotel.
Upon check out we were asked if we had breakfast at the hotel and that we were required to pay for the breakfast. We said that the breakfast was included in our price, but the first response was ‘No, it’s not possible’, we responded by saying that if we knew we had to pay for THIS breakfast, we would have never taken it. We made them look for our booking confirmation, after a few minutes of searching for it, they found the confirmation that breakfast was included. But not apologies followed.

The service is absolutely not up to par with the 4 stars that are awarded to the hotel, apart from location it has nothing going for it. And the staff is wheeling and scheming accusing it’s customer of lying and also lying to the customer’s face when asked about availability of additional rooms. I mean, would a Marriott ever ask you to clean up a room before they moved you to a different room if you complained about it being cold and noisy? I’m all for staying at independent hotels and Bed & Breakfasts, but sometimes staying at a chain hotel gives you at least a little bit of comfort about the type of service you will receive.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Schnauzer16
miami
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Worn coaches at the lobby, rude staff, dirty floors, terrible bed, stained towels, 2 blocks from "red light" area full of undesirable people -nothing like the pictures or description on Expedia. We hated so much that wanted to leave immediately but they said we would have to pay for the whole stay. I called Expedia, stayed on the phone for 4 hours, they only charged one night. When we checked out they wanted us to pay again for the whole stay and they charged our credit card over $800USD for one night!!! They are a true scam.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank MhenryMiami
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 17 May 2010

First of all, I didn't even get a chance to stay in one of the rooms. I had booked my room the day before arriving because I wasn't exactly set on my traveling plans. I arrived at the hotel at around 2 PM. I waited for the concierge because he was busy with another guest. After he had finish checking in that guest he received a phone call. Rather than greet me he immediately picks up the call. He spends about 15 minutes with the ONE guest on the phone. As he was talking to the guest he mumbled words under his breath out of frustration and did not seem willing to sort whatever issues the person on the phone had. After that call he answered ANOTHER one. He took another 15 minutes just answering calls which was very frustrating. I then told him I was checking in and he received several other calls and rather than deal with me first he took the calls. FINALLY he told me that the hotel was fully booked and he was going to have me and my father moved to a different hotel. I then proceeded to tell him that I was uncomfortable with the situation and he acted as if he didn't understand my English. Then, while smirking, he carefully reminded me that I pre-payed for the hotel and subtly hinted that I had little choice. According to the concierge, the hotel I booked the NIGHT before was SOMEHOW booked for June rather than May. I'm VERY certain that the hotel does this on purpose because my name was among a list of 20-30 other names. BE WARNED when reviews mention a scam like this take them as a hint NOT to book the hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank mochabebe
San Jose, California
Reviewed 7 May 2010

I travel extensively for pleasure and business and have stayed at the Victoires Opera on rue Montorgeuil at least twice -- the rooms are comfortable and the location is excellent.

However, when I arrived late last month the manager on duty informed my colleague and I that our rooms (which had been reserved separately at different times) were both booked incorrectly but "not to worry" as a good friend of his managed a hotel nearby "that was much nicer than this one" and that he had already taken care of all the details and that a taxi would take us directly there.

I showed him the printed confirmations of our reservations and he just shrugged. I then asked to use the Internet so that I could check out this alternate hotel and he said "that's not possible". (We had our own computers and could see the hotel's wireless network.) After awhile he eventually showed me a photograph of the hotel on his computer, but wouldn't allow me to search Trip Advisor or look at any reviews.

It just didn't feel right, and I've learned to trust my intuition. We walked out the door and ended up booking into a much nicer and extremely reputable international hotel near the Louvre at an incredible last minute rate that was only slightly more than the Victoires Opera.

We later learned that there is a thriving secondary market for pre-paid reservations, and that it was reasonably common for hotels in Paris to re-sell nights to lesser hotels who aren't as good at marketing.

Suffice it to say, I will no longer recommend this hotel to anyone, as I'm definitely not going to put any of my colleagues or friends in a similar situation. Whether it was a failing of ethics, incompetence, or an honest mistake is not the question. I can only imagine how scary it would have been for someone who hasn't traveled much to arrive alone at night at a hotel in Paris only to be sent off in a taxi to destination unknown and in a way that didn't feel safe.

Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank christopher.beard
Brussels
Reviewed 14 March 2010

It is surprising to see this hotel rated 4 stars. Indeed, all aspects of this hotel would hardly deserve 2 stars. Service is very bad, we came across a lady supposed to serve breakfast, who could hardly speak French, with an attitude and manners that come most probably from training at KGB 20 years ago...Rooms are tiny, they have been designed with nothing appealing...reception is definitely below average of 4 stars...quality of breakfast is far below French standards. All this for a high price...11 Euros for a small bottle of Perrier...
Will never go back there even for free...

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family