“Beautiful but expensive”

Ranked #168 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Beautiful but expensive”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Very lovely hotel but my god it's expensive. Perfect location and exactly as described, staff very friendly and professional. I would return definitely. The restaurant was well deserving of the star rating and it is well worth treating yourself to

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
connecticut
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Nice rooms. Free laptop!

Location is really great. Steps from subway station.

The best part was the bed!! Best sleep my wife and I have ever had.

The worst part was the city. I'll never go back to Paris. Rude people and overpriced. Go to Rome if you have a choice!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vijayrama
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Super location and charming Hôtel. Very confortable and do not feel that you are a corner away from one of the busiest street of Paris. Nice Bar with great selection of drinks ... the Croque Monsieur is an absolute Must. Excellent breakfast ... We will be back !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 1 December 2013

It's close to Madelein and rue Saint Honore, 2 minutes from the river, and is actually in the heart of the city.
The most important thing about Byrgundy is it's scent. It smells of aroma candles, and perfumes. It's quite specific, you like it or hate)
The other pleasant thing is food (don't even try those bakery food for breakfest - it's a drug!!). Absolutely lovely Micheline restaurant with the huge round tables, and table-napkins, and glasses, and the stuff.
The most moving thing was little textile dogs: cleaning-ladies put them near your door to mark the room is being cleaning at the moment.
It's a pity I had no time for spa. Probably I'll be back one day)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Alyona P
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I should begin this review by mentioning that I am particularly difficult to please as I am from a service background (which leads one to having a high expectation of good service), combined with a appreciation for luxury and beauty. All this being said, I only ever stay in 5 star accommodation, of which I have noticed varies significantly from country to country. I've also noticed that in terms of value for money, that what different countries consider to be of a 5 star standard vary from each other.

With the fore mentioned information in mind, I will commence this review by stating that Le Burgundy Hotel was selected deliberately and painstakingly after about 4 months of continuous reading of reviews daily and comparing many Paris hotels. I am thrilled by my decision to stay here for the following reasons which I will break down into sub-headings:

Hotel Appearance/Cleanliness-
This hotel is true and accurate to all the pictures displayed on its website. It is perfectly advertised, without pretence. It is also of the utmost cleanliness, and you will often see cleaners throughout constantly tidying to maintain this high standard.Visually from the outside the hotel is understated and unpretentious. In fact, it is almost easy to miss as there is no distinctive decorative feature that causes it stand out. However, the pink/violet light that fills the entrance way casts a tres chic hue that I liked. The two giant blonde and extremely courteous doormen ( a special thanks to Sebastian, and the Serbian, sorry can't recall your name) make you feel like a princess as each time that you enter and exist the establishment they open the double doors simultaneously, in unison.
The interior of the hotel is an elegant, understated combination of white and grey marble, with etchings of gold and black. The hotel is not grand in size like a Four Seasons, or a Mandarin Oriental, but it is most definitely 5 star in appearance and beauty. Rather it is intimate, and boutique like in quality, which adds to the enigma that I perceive Paris to be. Like returning to a secret treasure at the end of a day exploring the arrondissments of Paris. It is very luxurious, and the incandescent luminosity of scented candles burning morning and night added to the ambience of my Parisian fairytale. Having said that, the candles are extremely strong in scent, and took some getting used to. For those sensitive to smell or allergies, you probably would find this frustrating, I did however grow to really like it.
The bedroom, my 9 year old daughter and I occupied a level 1 room in the classic standard room range. Yes, the bathroom is very small, but I knew this before I booked, besides the room dimensions are available on their website. I did not have any issues with the size of the bathroom, for the lack of size was made up for by the cleanliness and practicality. It is not the hotels fault that rooms and bathrooms are small. This is after all Paris, ALL rooms by Parisian standards are small. But so are their seats in the city for dining, the portion sizes of meals and the beautiful women. In fact, Big in size is not something you see in Paris (with the exception of monuments and shops). I did have friends mention to me after seeing my photos that my room was very spacious compared to hotels that they had previously stayed at in Paris, so if you are truly wanting space consider the FS George V or Mandarin Oriental etc. But then beware that for value for money you will pay double for those, than at this hotel.
As for the room, the bed was sooo very comfortable. The hotel included hairdryers and country electrical adapters in the room (very thoughtful). Each night I feel asleep to the melodic sounds of music wafting up through the floor from the lobby below. While this may annoy some, I LOVED it! Warm and snug in bed, with scented candles, the best of an empty Pierre Herme macaron box next to my bed (as a midnight snack), all whilst lullabied to sleep by a classical pianist from downstairs, it is as if one is in a story. Think the film "Midnight in Paris" with actor Owen Wilson.
I am of the belief that the sights, sounds and scents of a vacation should transport you from the everyday reality of your normal life, and be a stark contrast. Something that highlights the sense of adventure that you have signed up for, this is how The Burgundy was for me.

Location:
Absolutely brilliant! A 5 minute moderate walk to the best shopping along rue cambon and rue st honore. For fashionistas and shopping appreciators who like designer and high end stores, this is fabulous, but expect the pay big $ for items. Forget Avenue de Champs Elysees for shopping, as that is too touristy, and doesn't hold the quintessential Parisian essence the way this area does. Champs Elysees, although iconically French, is filled with tourists, so feels different (but still lovely!!!)
The Louvre was a lovely 12 minute stroll away, the Champs Elysees we walked to nightly to visit the Christmas Markets, and took only 15-20 minutes ( I was walking with my 9 year old). Gallerie Lafayette and Printemps was about a 10 minute walk away, so much was perfectly accessible. The best way to discover Paris really is on foot! Place Vendome, about 5 minutes away.

Service:
I found the French in general to be very polite, measured in their responses and wonderfully attentive. I was anxious beforehand as many I know had stereotyped them to be rude and arrogant. This was not my experience at all, particularly at Le Burgundy. The only issue I was not thrilled with is that after flying for 24 hours from Australia and crossing 2 different time zones that my room was not ready by 3pm (which is check in time)was ready at 3:20pm. Having said that, I am happy that the staff offered me a table with my daughter in the Wintergarden and provided complimentary beverages and sweet treats. Although I did not realise that this was complimentary at the time (it was simply offered), I think it would be an improvement in service if this was communicated. The whole time I sat there thinking, yes I'm enjoying these treats, but I better not be paying for this just to pass the time while you ready my room. Thankfully, it was free - but I should have been told up front.
Aside from that, I enjoyed the morning conversation with the waitress Amilie, who is delightful. Her service was friendly, and attentive without being obtrusive. I also really appreciate all the patience of the staff at the Hotel as they allowed me to butcher their beautiful language and I attempted a very broken high school French that I had not spoken in 15 years. Merci Beaucoup tout le monde!
I could go on forever about how happy and wonderful I found this place to be, I went in low season Nov 20-25th and paid $610 AUS per night. This was money very well spent.
The 2 tips/advice I would give anyone is, the complimentary 30euro continental breakfast is not good value at all, I'm sure most would be disappointed. I found it much better value to pay the additional 8 euro per person and upgrade to the full buffet which was modest, but of a high standard in freshness and quality. The provisions with the buffet are more than ample, (but not like an American spread, think elegant instead, not over catered). The second tip, do yourself a favour and learn the basic phrases in French. Whilst everyone at this hotel speaks English very very well, you are a guest in a country that appreciates those that make an effort to respect their culture. I found that doors opened above and beyond what people had to do for me, simply because I tried my best to communicate where I could in French. I hope this review helped someone. Personally, I cannot wait to return to both Paris and Le Burgundy - I loved it!!! Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JewllzM
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I attended a work conference for two days. This is a beautiful place and while I did not stay in the rooms, I can definitely recommend the food and the hotel's ambience. It was truly superb - we had two amazing lunches in the restaurant and the food was some of the best I have tasted. Very friendly staff and great atmosphere. It's definitely on my list of places to return to in Paris.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Naomi S
Englewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Le Burgundy is a beautiful hotel, very modern and great location. The spa is an added treat with a splendid pool and relaxation area. The concierge is excellent and offers perfect recommendations.

My daughter and I visited Le Burgundy for the first time. Our deluxe room was spacious, lovely and well-maintained.

However, there are a few notable concerns with the service. First, our room 106 was subject to constant noise from either the lobby, bar music or a meeting room. We never had a peaceful quiet time in the room. The club music from the lobby last past midnight which is most disturbing.

Secondly, the breakfast service is simply poor and grossly over priced. Our waiter was frankly negligent in attending to us and not well-trained. I noticed the entire dining room service was off kilter with staff bustling about in a clumsy manner and not at all befitting a 5 star hotel. When I mentioned this to the receptionist she suggested I go elsewhere outside the hotel for breakfast! That was rather shocking a response.

It is a shame that management does not address these concerns as they both very much detracted from what otherwise would have been a marvelous stay. I am not sure that i would return given these two conditions especially the noisy room!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family